May 14, 2024, 10:15:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: reliant inlet mod  (Read 6009 times)
wink100e

« on: August 11, 2008, 04:52:27 PM »

heres a good little mod for reliant inlet manifold, its a simple milling job which entails milling out the webbing ,

which they reckon gives you 23% more power, ive tried this and does seem to work

http://www.athz90.dsl.pipex.com/voyager/Manifold/manifold.htm

just one more site to try,              http://www.fuelcat.co.uk/mainpage.html

it says fuelcat but the item to check out is the SPITFIRE MULTISPARK its a coil to dissy  HT lead which gives you 5 sparks instead of 1 god knows how it works but it does , my mate was jubious so i got him to try it on his robin, and his reaction was HOLLY SH*T that was the best HT lead shock hes ever had, lol,
 on his cold running car showed intantly ran better,  its around £30 but well worth the money
 oh yeah its said to give about 11% power gain
mattyk

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 06:12:45 PM »

cheers for that handy to know the more you can sqeeuze the better  ;Dshame i cant spell tho eh?
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 06:14:12 PM »

Cant be bad, 34% increase if you do both.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
wink100e

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »

also gone the route of electronic dissy, dunno if you get any power gains from it but it messing with those stupid points, i bought a brand new one off evil bay for £60 but you can use one off a metro just by changing the dog on the end as is offset in the robin engine, just type in LUCUS 45D4 ON EBAY , MINE WAS ADVERTISED FOR A LANDROVER but droped strait in.

will be adding a fast rd cam to new engine, availible from NEWMAN CAMS for about £115 exchange,
 and 4 branch exhaust mainfold , optimum power length said to be equal length 21inches long,
as used in the 750formula racing
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 07:58:31 PM »

Mr Wink, as you seem to be the man for the job, how d'ya fancy writing us a piece on upgrading the humble Reliant motor? The available options, power increases, costs etc?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
peanut

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 08:21:50 AM »

What the manifold mod creates is effectively a siamesed port a la mini head. There will be a very turbulent flow which will help with warm-up by breaking up the bigger fuel drops condensing against the cold port and runner walls. You would get a similar effect by controlling the temperature of air entering the engine (You know, all that air-filter 'crap' that we rip off because it looks ugly!)
So far as the increased power goes this was on an engine with a racier cam, exhaust and larger carb. It looks to me like a happy accident whereby the extra plenum or runner space created near the valve 'holds' the mixture created by more overlap from the cam and harmonic effects from the exhaust and in the inlet runners themselves and thus creates more complete cylinder filling the next time the inlet opens. I would not expect anything like this increase on a standard engine.
Be very wary of 'snake oil' gadgets like the spark five times gizmo. If it worked we'd all have them. A fully mapped digital ignition would give much greater overall benefits. In many cases these whizzo things are fitted to older units where they compensate for wear in one area at the expense of another.
I'd still like to see an article exploring hop-up tricks that work, though, so don't let my cynical grumpy old man approach deter you!
mattyk

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 09:28:45 AM »

yes pls pls pretty pls a moddin article would be realy handy to have on here for the reliant handy to know as im puttin one in a trike (and i cant have the missus beatin me on hers)seems harsh iknow lol
toad

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 11:26:13 AM »

heres a good little mod for reliant inlet manifold, its a simple milling job which entails milling out the webbing ,

which they reckon gives you 23% more power, ive tried this and does seem to work

http://www.athz90.dsl.pipex.com/voyager/Manifold/manifold.htm

just one more site to try,              http://www.fuelcat.co.uk/mainpage.html

it says fuelcat but the item to check out is the SPITFIRE MULTISPARK its a coil to dissy  HT lead which gives you 5 sparks instead of 1 god knows how it works but it does , my mate was jubious so i got him to try it on his robin, and his reaction was HOLLY SH*T that was the best HT lead shock hes ever had, lol,
 on his cold running car showed intantly ran better,  its around £30 but well worth the money
 oh yeah its said to give about 11% power gain
it does work but i have improved on that idea. that modification only gives 3bhp (i,ve dyno run one) what i do is mill the same in the picture but to a depth of 12mm and then knife edge the remaining material that helps split the fuel mixture evenly i then use a flapwheel and remove the roughness from the casting not too smooth as you need some roughness to stop the fuel from pooling and creating droplets i got just a tad over 5bhp increase that way with a fiesta carb and modded manifold expect around 8bhp thats at the flywheel the motors more free revving and smoother now theres even more that can be done but thats a secret! Wink i might even be persueded to build a motor for some one on here just to prove what can be gained Grin cheers toad

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 01:44:15 PM »

I'd go with your previous build Toad -the supercharged Reliant.  Grin
8bhp might not sound a lot, until you realise Reliants only have 40 to start with.
Personally, I'm happy with the performance of a standard engine with oversize rear wheels to alter the gearing, (we use a rolling diameter of around 24"). That gives us a top speed of 80 -90 if you push it hard, a motorway cruising speed of 70 -75 & pretty rapid acceleration from 0 to 70 ish. Plenty of room for improvement on Reliant's design, but I prefer to go for reliability. 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 03:41:57 PM »

Id be interested in your ideas for my engine Grin

More metal than skin
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 04:13:45 PM »

Put it back in the Truck! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
lunatic

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 09:06:38 PM »

Put more carbs on it!  Grin
toad

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 08:37:49 AM »

thats an easy one gareth that motor is a bmc just have a look at austin healys wolesley 6/80,s mgc,s see where im coming from?? Grin

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 12:05:53 PM »

mm off to trawl the internet then as ive seen some wolesey's but were all standard

More metal than skin
SteveRedd

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 05:02:20 PM »

ANCHOR ?  Grin Grin Grin

Growing up is Optional
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: