May 14, 2024, 12:44:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: My project  (Read 4180 times)
XJ750(UK)

« on: June 10, 2008, 10:46:14 PM »

As requested, a few pics, how it all started, and how it's progressing - slowly, Andy Cheesy

I bought a Yamaha XJ750 a few months back with an idea of restoring it, as I owned one almost 20 years ago. But then came a Suzuki GS850 frame that had been previously triked, a Reliant rear axle, and a rather wobbly trials bike front end. My restoration idea was short lived, and the XJ became a donor, with the engine, electrics and a few other bits removed. Next job was to get the whole lot somehow crammed into the trike frame.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 11:08:03 PM by XJ750(UK) » Logged
XJ750(UK)

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »

a few more pics
XJ750(UK)

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 10:53:58 PM »

Then Suzuki/Yamaha engine mounting brackets had to be made up which was a bit daunting (my 1st attempt at this). Trying to keep the engine parallel to the frame rails, level, and square-ish to the front, while still hhaving space to thread the shaft through later was a bit of a challenge, but with the help of a friend (a lot of help) we got there -
XJ750(UK)

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:02:48 PM »

I fancied a wide look at the front, so I decided a pair of harley 5 gallon tanks were the way to go. I also had decided on an old type sprung seat, which I believe is a BSA reproduction. I knew the front end had to be replaced, and I thought about putting the XJ forks into the GS frame, but this wasn't going to be easy, without some sort of spindle, or yoke work. As luck would have it a friend decided to break a GSXR1100 slingshot, so I grabbed the front end pretty sharpish, and it slotted straight in - Result!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 11:10:15 PM by XJ750(UK) » Logged
XJ750(UK)

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:07:10 PM »

My next jobs are to get the oil cooler on, lights fitted, and the back end tidied up, I will keep you posted folks. It's still all a bit up in the air, and the garage is a bit like a bombsite (I must be the most untidy person I know Smiley ) but let me know what you think - you can be brutally honest.
texon

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 11:31:18 PM »

Hi first I'm the most untidy person around and Madron will back me up on that but I know where everthing is and its a lot harder for the garage thief to nick my gear he would have to knock on the door to find anything  Grin I like the look of the trike except the placing of the seat a bit high you might look like your perched on the trike instead of sat in it but hey thats just my opinion ,and I suppose it all depends on were you put the footrests forward or under .I am glad you didn't break the TDR 250 I like them and there isn't many left now,The 1100 forks are a much better option anyway.Keep up the good work XJ its looking really well.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:34:16 AM »

Hiya XJ. Wink
Your garage is bigger & tidier than mine!
Nice trike. I'm with Texon though. Think I'd drop the seat height cos the springs look too long. Ideally I'd shorten the back end of the frame & alter the bottom rail so that it joins at the bottom of the engine cradle, then a bit more rake on the forks which would also drop the frame height, some wide flat beach bars.... Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 11:59:53 AM »

I thought it could do with a bit more rake on the forks - but that's just being picky!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 12:14:15 PM »

The whole point is to build the machine you want mate. If you build it to please other people, you'll never be happy with it. We can offer opinions but it's your ride, not ours.  Wink

XJ750(UK)

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 06:28:20 PM »

I have thought about lowering the seat, and various other bits 'n' bobs, but I have decided to try and get her up and running before I do anything too drastic. The beauty of this is, how it looks can be changed completely in a couple of days, with an angle grinder, a few bits of tubing, and a welder - nothings ever final. It's not like I'm hacking into next door neighbours merc, although that would be fun too Cheesy I'd love to see their faces. I have took all your ideas on board anyway, I'll keep them stored in the memory bank for a later date. If it runs in a straight line, corners reasonably well, and passes whatever tests it needs to get mobile, I'd be more than happy, I'll worry about what it looks like after that. Thanks for the kind words guys, I'll keep you up to date Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 07:56:21 PM »

My viewpoint exactly.
I always think -have a go. If it doesn't work you can always rebuild it. If it's something you've put together yourself you can alter it every weekend of you feel like it. I look forward to seeing it on the road.   Wink

tazet
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 08:09:10 PM »

If it runs in a straight line, corners reasonably well, and passes whatever tests it needs to get mobile, I'd be more than happy, I'll worry about what it looks like after that.

That's what we want to do with the Charger. I agree get it on the road and start having fun and as you use it you then adjust things to suit you. Good luck and have fun. That's what it's about after all  Grin
hornet6

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 10:49:58 PM »

i like the style m8 excellent work i would say,and as been said recently,its your ride and your doing it to your personal taste.Is the tdr all in working order,cant quite tell from the first picture cuz it looks like the forks are missing.

no projects ever finished
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 01:26:33 AM »

The beauty of this is, how it looks can be changed completely in a couple of days, with an angle grinder, a few bits of tubing, and a welder - nothings ever final.

Ah, you should definitely meet Doc (Twisted Patience) - you have a lot in common!   Grin

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
panthershaun

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 09:35:22 AM »

Hiya XJ. Wink
Your garage is bigger & tidier than mine!
Nice trike. I'm with Texon though. Think I'd drop the seat height cos the springs look too long. Ideally I'd shorten the back end of the frame & alter the bottom rail so that it joins at the bottom of the engine cradle, then a bit more rake on the forks which would also drop the frame height, some wide flat beach bars.... Grin

Then just add a Reliant motor and you have Mankys trike  Grin Grin Tongue Tongue Kiss

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: