May 14, 2024, 03:52:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: LUV Trike  (Read 4798 times)
XL-erate

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 03:02:12 AM »

Hot rods aren't such a problem, if you have some kind of registration for the basic vehicle. If not then it has to be checked by DMV or CHP for numbers, then a brake and lights test, then insure it and pay the fees. Lights have to be a correct height etc. and no vehicle that is 'manifestly unsafe' can be operated.

Trike conversions, on existing frame, most don't even bother to tell DMV, and it's still legal. The rub comes on a scratch-built vehicle, especially 3 wheeled. It has to meet many regulations and be inspected. One friendly rule says that the vehicle should be registered as the vehicle it most resembles: if you stick a '55 Chevy front clip on a shopping cart it most resembles the Chevy, so that's what it's registered as. However that kind of thing is up to the opinion of the individual DMV examiner and some are gold plated jerks!

By using the serial numbered neck off my Suzuki and simply registering that cycle it's okay, because any cop inspecting would find the numbers match the registration. Also no inspection needed, just insure it, register it, call it good. It's not specifically illegal to build a bike into a trike, or to install a car engine etc. so it will fly with authorities. Overall it's the least hassle.

I do have to check first to see that it wasn't a stolen bike. The guy that gave it to me had just gotten out of the joint so somewhat questionable, and don't know what he got put in prison for....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 03:04:44 AM by XL-erate » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: