May 14, 2024, 08:42:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open to suggestions....  (Read 4015 times)
XL-erate

« on: May 08, 2008, 03:39:25 PM »

Hi y'all! Looking at a trike project, first one here, and normal 1F/2R layout. Lot's of knowledge on this site so lots of questions here:

I have a roller '78 Suzie GS550E, frame, engine, forks [disc brake], needs rebuild ++. Have '68 CB450 engine needs rebuild. May get a complete 80's Honda V45 Magna near free, unknown condition 'ran when parked', right. Lastly, a '74 Chevy LUV 1.8L 4 speed pickup, built by Isuszu, 'G180-E' OHC 4 in excellent shape, but likely a cast iron block.

There may be a trike in there somewhere. Thinking of the Suzie 550 forks & headstock, if I didn't use V45 frame. There's heavier 550 fork springs available. The CB450 might be most second most reliable engine overall, simple 2 cyl. and about 50 HP. GS550 could be rebuilt but $$$. Thinking V45 Magna 750 engine is a nightmare of mechanical complexity but good torque and midrange and shaft drive. Know little about the V45's.

That leaves the Isuzu engine/trans/rear. Haven't checked on weight but doubtless a couple of hundred pounds, maybe 125-150 kilos? Do you think the Isuszu is a possibility or just too heavy? Sure is tempting!

How heavy a rig could the 550 forks handle? I suppose the V45 forks are more robust, may be better?

Any general ideas from the above parts pile? Thanks for any suggestions, and yes, I already took my meds  Grin
XL-erate

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 01:54:36 AM »

Update: spent some time researching Honda V45 and it's out of the running for me. Far to many problems with oiling, cams & cam chain and not very user friendly. Somehow I think the right combination will appear, maybe sell some bikes & parts and buy a better basic machine. I'll post when the parts pile looks better....
texon

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:27:28 AM »

your parts pile sound like a good start keep looking for the right engine and axle for what you want to build,Draw up some plans and ideas so you get a good basic idea of how you want the trike to look and function.Do you want it to carry 1,2,3 or more people I haven't seen a 7 seater yet lol do you want to tow a caravan or trailer ,does it need loads of storage these are all things you need to think of before you start the build and be flexable because it prob wont look anything like the idea you start of with  Grin  Grin hope this helps and once you start you will get a lot more help here when they all know what your ideas are   
XL-erate

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 04:57:34 PM »

Thanks, Texon, great advice! I'm still wading through 'Manky's New Trike Frame', plus read all of the Taz build and Mouses trike. Huge help. I will first look for the engine/trans, exactly what I want instead of what's laying around. At that point, I'll be back with questions  Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:17:35 PM »

Taz is sorting through pics of her frame build as we speak. Stand by for more info!
I'm guessing there aren't many Reliants in California -is there an American equivalent? -small utilitarian car with a torquey little engine that can be mildly tuned to really fly in a lightweight trike frame?
I seem to remember Reliant planning on selling 3 wheelers to the American Police for traffic duty.
Would a bigger engine be more use to you out there? What sort of mileage & terrain does it need to cover?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
XL-erate

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 02:53:26 AM »

No Reliants here that I recall. I'm thinking I should look into an older '70-80's aluminum 4 banger, like Datsun, Toyota etc. as they were 4 cylinder 1.2 - 1.5 Liter. Fairly light, rear wheel drive, maybe closest I'll find to the great Reliant engine. Good parts availability.

I've gone over the Taz Trike build, and Mouse's, now about 3/4 through your newest build, man, what a gold mine of information! Really want to thank you all, first for the website, but also for posting such detailed info: EXCELLENT! Beautiful bikes. I can use the overall designs, modify to suit engine, and then give the 'personal touch'.

I've got a lead on a couple of 70's Toyota 4 cyl pickups near free, wondering if those engines are too heavy? Mainly want a cruiser [save ga$] back and forth to town about 40 miles round trip, plus something for longer highway trips when the urge strikes! 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 09:16:34 AM »

We're not experts & certainly don't pretend to be. I'm sure there's better ways of doing most of our stuff, but we just show what works for us. We'd rather share the little information we have & help guys get on the road reasonably safely, than keep everything secret & see people riding death-traps.
Our little hardtails will cruise all day at 70 -75mph ish but the rigid frame means you need a "comfort stop" every hundred miles or so. 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
texon

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 09:59:40 AM »

Toyota twin cam engines good for cruzzzzing the highways good on fuel and most important they are quite light so ideal for trikes with enough power for all your needs  Cool
XL-erate

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 02:33:23 PM »

Thanks Texon [and all]. Been flipping pages on the net, some good info from a Chevy LUV forum. LUV truck is actually Isuzu. I have a '75 LUV with 1.8L Isuzu G-180E engine & ally 4 speed, single leg rearend but other Isuzu limited slip/posi rears commonly available, also 5 speeds are easy to find at breakers.

G-180E engine weighs 311 lbs, or about 680 kilos, trans about 75-80 lbs/175 kilos, total 385 lbs/850 kilos. I expected much heavier, not! Measures about 61 cm tall X 135 cm long. That's reasonable and do-able?

Stock G-180E gives 75 HP American, I think that's 56KW? The Aussies race these same engines in Holden Geminis and full race are seeing huge insane power, see:

http://www.freewebs.com/gemracing/index.htm

http://www.giant.net.au/users/wight/

Many parts available [already have a fat Weber] to kick it up to 100-150 HP American, or 100-112KW, just need a cam and fab up an intake & exhaust.

Finally, babbling on here, I have truck in running order now, can use it for rolling test bed to dial in performance setup, then go for the Trike build along the way and finally swap drivetrain.

That leaves one large question: What do you trikexperts think of that engine/trans weight? Sound feasible? Look into power steering?  Shocked
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 02:12:29 AM by XL-erate » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: