May 14, 2024, 06:18:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: IFS for 2F/1R layout?  (Read 5419 times)
XL-erate

« on: May 04, 2008, 05:41:37 PM »

Hi all! Wondering if anyone has experience/info using IFS on a 2F/1R trike? I've been head scratching 'til I draw blood, seems like it could work with proper spring rates. Thinking a guy could get some better control over wheel lift in turns?

Would be a rather 'large' project so wouldn't want to burn a bunch of steel & get 3/4 there and oh, wait a minute, this won't work......!

Thanks, XL
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 05:48:57 PM »

Took me a minute or two to decipher that!
Independant Front Suspension on a 2 front, 1 rear wheeled trike?
Nope, no idea, but I'm sure someone here will have.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
madron

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 06:09:36 PM »

you can use viva chevette complete front end with crossmember just change springs/shocks for bike ones or early rear engined skoda as very shallow set up or go tubular A arm set up a la kit car style either homemade or shop bought
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 06:23:49 PM »

SaddleBags is building an auto Chevette engined trike. His brother Jason, (Captain SpannerFingers), supplied the donor engine. No idea what he did with the rest of the car, (he runs a modern classic car business). Trying to get hold of him at the moment to see if we can show his BSA cafe racer on our pitch at the Basingstoke Transport Festival next weekend.

VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »

Straight over my head Smiley

More metal than skin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 06:28:26 PM »

Whoosh.

VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »

hehe more like there's a tonne of bricks coming yer way Grin

More metal than skin
Trikerbob

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 06:45:37 PM »

What about Morgan or more up to date a large cc Quad?HuhHuhHuhHuh?? Cheesy
XL-erate

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 03:36:30 PM »

Thanks fellas, so it's not entirely daft. Yes, 2F[ront]/1R[ear] trike. I've got a Morgan picture as my desktop on monitor & it's always tickling the back of my mind. Figured if independent suspension is such improvement on most other stuff why not on 3 wheelers?

I'll check the Viva Chevette layout, thanks. I'm starting to think more on car engined trike but also ideas to do a bike engined IFS rig.

Hard to imagine weight transfer on a 3W setup in a hard turn compared to 4W chassis. I'm thinking the forces wouldn't just load the outside wheel, but would load somewhere on an imaginary line between outside front and rear wheel, maybe about 1/3 of the way back on that line? If so then IFS would really improve handling and maybe keep that inside wheel planted, or at least help, and IRS could help on 1F/2R design.

Met an engineer at a dinner party last nite, his 2 brothers also engineers. He's my neighbor so maybe I can wring him out for some of that hi-tech pencil pushing on this. BTW I'm stateside, another California nutcase. Thanks!

lunatic

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 05:53:12 PM »

I have nothing to add except......
Trikerbob

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 06:20:11 PM »

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cheesy  Grin
Mr_G

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »

I want the top one!

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 11:47:16 PM »

And I wanna go in the bottom one!

XL-erate

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 06:14:00 AM »

Thanks, Lunatic, I love the way you express yourself! THAT's what I'm talking about.

I'm thinking to go a bit more enclosed, and propably build 2 projects: one a more enclosed 2F/1R but HOT, and the other a trike 1F/2R like most are built. With the second one I could still get that knees in the breeze feeling that  we all love so much, and the first could take the place of a car at terrific mileage!
XL-erate

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 06:17:56 AM »

Say, Lunatic, got any info or details on that black one? Much of it's very similar to what I have in mind.

I passed one of those new Corbins the other day on a mountain road. It looked really good but only got a couple seconds glance.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: