May 10, 2024, 12:24:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1558972 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2007, 10:30:09 PM »

Flap & Manky discuss the important issue of hats.
Full roof height means you can wear a big hat. There's room for a decent top hat in there. Or one of those huge furry lumberjack jobbies that look like your wearing a dead cat on your head.
A 4 inch chop means it'd have to be a trilby. A bowler hat at the most.
Radical chopping requires a flat cap -& probably a flat top haircut too.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2007, 01:19:42 PM »

Manky if you want some VW beetle wheels I have loads including a complete set of gt wheels with new tyres on. The paint needs stripping off but might be useful.

Let me know if you  want em. 

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2007, 09:34:09 PM »

Hi Byz, yup, I'm interested. I love the ultra skinny front Pop wheels with their square profile cross-plys, but they'd probably be scary to drive with. Beetle rims would give me a better choice of tyres, plus I'd like slightly wider rear rims anyway.
Can't decide what colours to go with. If I were keeping the Pop black, I'd paint the wheels in a pastel green. The car's going to be green though. Maybe chrome rims with matching green hubcaps? Can't afford chrome so It'd probably be metallic silver powder coat on the rims.
What do GT wheels look like?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 11:41:45 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2007, 11:13:47 PM »

I don't have a pick on the PC at the mo but will take one tomorrow and put it up here.

I have some standard wheels and some weller style chrome jobs too will post some pics of them too

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
panthershaun

« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2007, 09:53:09 AM »

The early Beetle wheels fit onto the Pop hubs, but if you are changing axles Andy that will become irrelevant unless you are going to make up adapters to take the Pop stud pattern. You already have 16" taxi rims that will fit onto the front axle, also 14 or 15" Sherpa rims if you kept them? that sorts out the front, that just leaves the rear end..

A stripped down "Hillbilly" pop sounds cool, but please don't put its arse in the air, if anything run it level and low Grin but that is just a personal thing on my part as all Pop's seem to have the same stance Roll Eyes

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
panthershaun

« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2007, 10:01:02 AM »

I'm going 3" chop with mine, subtle but will change the look of the car. anything more than that and I think you then have to start looking at things like channeling the body etc the get the look right.

This guy has chosen to channel the body rather than go for a roof chop.

Have you thought about pushing the front axle forwards on a suicide perch like this one? also lowering the back end as well so the whole thing site several inches lower but level?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 10:05:53 AM by panthershaun » Logged

panthershaun

« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2007, 10:03:49 AM »

couple more

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2007, 10:07:30 AM »

Don't worry Shaun -tastefully tatty's the way to go I think. Definitely level & probably lower due to the weight of the Consul engine. Depends how high the Sherpa front beam sits really.
I've still got 4 taxi wheels -a pair of 15s & a pair of 16s, but I like the slotted Pop rims. Taxi ones are just plain. I think I've got a piccie of them somewhere. Hang on, I'll go & have a rummage ...

Here we go.
Pop wheels.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2007, 10:08:16 AM »

Taxi wheels.

panthershaun

« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2007, 10:12:14 AM »

you can buy brand new 15-14" VW wheels in 2 widths for around £40.00. I know what you mean about the nice look of the Pop wheels.
What do you think of the PrePop then??

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2007, 10:19:52 AM »

I don't want to go too blingy so chrome wheels probably aren't the look I'm after. Painted would be more in keeping with the basic look, (O.K, powder-coated). I like the idea of re-cycling older stuff rather than buying new -but by the time they're coated they'll probably cost me more!
The Prefect-Pop's the channelled one? Can't decide. I prefer the Pop rad shell I think. The more I sit in mine the more I'm convinced to keep the bodyshell more or less standard, but dropping it over the chassis rails shouldn't be a major problem. Brock says I should push the front wheels forward with a perch poking through the rad surround. Not sure I like the look of the wheels that far forward though.
I think I'll end up taking the body off, setting up the rolling chassis with the Consul motor, box & rear axle & Sherpa front beam, then dropping the body on again & cutting to suit.
Let me know when it's convenient to come & pinch the glass & stuff from you matey. 

panthershaun

« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2007, 10:29:24 AM »

Anytime really Andy, if you are coming in the week I will leave it under the Pop's cover. Busy for the next couple of weeks shooting vehicles for the mag, but I am around Sat afternoon from 1ish to around 5 when I've got to get ready to go out for a meal with some friends (yes I do have some real one's Wink) if you want to "POP" over then, let me know and I will get some cake and diet "Pop" in Grin Grin Roll Eyes

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2007, 10:44:27 AM »

Probably during the week's best. I'll let you know a day.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 10:03:57 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

lunatic

« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2007, 05:11:17 PM »

I belive the wheels Byzmax has are 4 stud for later Vws. In wide 5 stud you have the option of solid 14"(bus) and 15" x 4.5" or slotted in 15x4.5" or 15x5.5. Early beetles and buses (early 50's) had 16x4.5" rims which I might use on my v-rod. I really like the look of tall crossplies, they will probably handle terribly though!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2007, 08:58:17 AM »

Looks like it'll be the 15 x 4.5s on the front & 15 x 5.5s on the back then. Not desperately important yet cos the trike build's taking priority. The Pop's my Summer tinkering project.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: