May 17, 2024, 07:42:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564685 times)
spanners

« Reply #4845 on: May 17, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »

Lots of hinge pin kits on Ebay. They appear to have a pin, spring & brass ball. How does that work then?
each half of the hinge has a ,,cup,, in it and a hole through it ,,the brass ball also has a hole through it ,,
the ball sits in on cup /half the hinge and the cup of the other half sits on top of it ,, the pin//hinge bolt go,s through the top hinge half ,,through the brass ball,, and through the other /lower hinge half then the spring go,s on ,normally followed but a washer with a nick,or,notch in (it,ll explain itself when you see it) followed by a nut ,,this you tighten to put tension on the spring ,, to ,,,preload, the hinge and ball assembly, thus,, stopping rattle,etc and eliminating excess play in the hinge

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes SIMPLE,S,,EH Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
panthershaun

« Reply #4846 on: May 17, 2012, 11:52:01 AM »

Lots of hinge pin kits on Ebay. They appear to have a pin, spring & brass ball. How does that work then?
each half of the hinge has a ,,cup,, in it and a hole through it ,,the brass ball also has a hole through it ,,
the ball sits in on cup /half the hinge and the cup of the other half sits on top of it ,, the pin//hinge bolt go,s through the top hinge half ,,through the brass ball,, and through the other /lower hinge half then the spring go,s on ,normally followed but a washer with a nick,or,notch in (it,ll explain itself when you see it) followed by a nut ,,this you tighten to put tension on the spring ,, to ,,,preload, the hinge and ball assembly, thus,, stopping rattle,etc and eliminating excess play in the hinge

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes SIMPLE,S,,EH Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

as he said....

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4847 on: May 17, 2012, 02:39:59 PM »

Right-o.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4848 on: May 17, 2012, 03:13:31 PM »

.... he said, scratching his head..............

Wink

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
spanners

« Reply #4849 on: May 17, 2012, 06:41:27 PM »

,,,SPLINTERS,,,,,, Cheesy Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Bus Boy

« Reply #4850 on: May 20, 2012, 09:40:23 AM »

you can also get them with a ''half ball & hex'' arrangement. The hex on the half ball fits into a hex socket in one half of the hinge while the other half has the standard ball socket.
Had a bit of experience with these on bus emergency doors !! Must remember to use plenty of grease on assembly........nothin quite like greasy balls!!!!!!!

I never wanted to be normal anyways!
merv

« Reply #4851 on: May 20, 2012, 09:41:25 PM »

nothin quite like greasy balls!!!!!!!
 Grin Grin Grin

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4852 on: May 21, 2012, 08:44:16 PM »

Door hinges arrived today, along with another glovebox latch, (I didn't like the first one).
I had 2 weeks holiday before the Basingstoke show, but spent it either working on the Pop or running about trying to organise show stuff. So I took last week off from the workshop & had some "Me time" -mowing the lawn n stuff. Suitably refreshed, I planned to return to Chez Loony after work today. Then my missus, Taz, strained her back at work & I was called home to drive her to a chiropractor appointment.
So hopefully, I'll be back, working on the truck tomorrow.
-yeah, she's fine, thanks.  Wink

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4853 on: May 24, 2012, 09:51:02 PM »

A couple of days of small jobs, not worthy of a piccie, but I did more or less finish the glovebox today. Might not look much, but there's a lot of work in that little box. The shadows created by the camera show the section I cut out before, changed my mind about & welded back in, (I was going to have a full width lid with a small box inside but decided that looked daft). Once the panel's wrapped in black vinyl it won't show.
I've highlighted a few low spots for Loony to fill with weld. The lock cost a fiver from Ebay & the hinge came from Nik's old VW Golf sun roof assembly.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:53:16 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4854 on: May 24, 2012, 09:57:03 PM »

The leather straps for the fuel tank have arrived, (horse saddle stirrup straps), so I've made a start on fitting the brackets for them, plus drilled the tank for the fuel outlet pipe. Putting together a pile of small welding jobs for Loony when he's got 5 minutes.

cunningplan

« Reply #4855 on: May 24, 2012, 10:50:31 PM »

Even if your going to cover it with vinyl, I would give it a thin skim of filler, I've found out that when vinyl gets warm it shrinks into any little hole and then they stick out like a sore thumb.

(I've got to also say, that looks quite good  Grin )
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:40:28 AM by cunningplan » Logged
dobber

« Reply #4856 on: May 25, 2012, 12:49:05 AM »

Even if your going to cover it with vinyl, I would give it a thin skim of filler, I've found out that when vinyl gets warm it shrinks into any little hole and then they stick out like a sore thumb.

agree with that.we tried putting grp panels with the outside good face on the inside as we were vinyl ing the outside. shows every single defect.

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4857 on: May 25, 2012, 05:23:18 PM »

Aye, I think you're right. It'll be a job for the local auto upholsterer, (Mike Simms in Basingstoke), but we were thinking a thin layer of foam, maybe 2mm thick, just to give it some "depth" so it's not hard & metallic, then vinyl over the top. We plan to get the gearbox tunnel covered the same way. But wouldn't do any harm to skim it with filler first -though the tunnel gets warm when the motor's running. I don't want to use heat/sound proof matting cos it's quite thick & will just swamp the curves of the tunnel. Maybe we could glue the matting to the underside of the tunnel instead.
Loony wasn't at the 'shop today, so no progress to report.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4858 on: May 25, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »

Once the fuel tank's finished I can add the second electric fuel pump under the bed & hook it up to Terry's wiring loom, (he's already made provision for it). That'll be the back end more or less finished.

Then I'll move onto the cab interior & finish all the bits that were tacked together for the test. That includes cutting & bolting down new floor panels from the fresh sheet steel I've already got -we cut the original floors about quite a lot while we were struggling with the brakes.

The doors don't fit particularly well & need sheet steel adding all around their openings, once we've fitted the new hinges. The doors themselves will also need beefing up along their leading edges as the new hinges attach right on the edges. We also need to fit the modern "bear claw" latches I have. I've got 2 pairs of donor doors we can cut sections from to tidy up the ones on the car. The glass that came with the doors doesn't fit properly, so needs replacing.

We need a new front screen because we've changed the rubber surround & now the old screen's too small.

The cab roof doesn't look very pretty & needs some bashin' before I'd be happy taking it to shows -don't want people thinking that's the best we're capable of. There's a couple of repair pieces to go in in front of the bottom door hinges & at the rear bottom corners of the cab. We also want to add a finishing strip along the sill line below the doors. We'll extend the pick-up bed sides down to meet the bottom of the cab.

Plus of course, the front kingpins need re-bushing & the flexi brake pipes replacing & re-routing, using the new rubber hoses I have.

Not much to do then.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:16:20 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Bus Boy

« Reply #4859 on: May 26, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »

still less to do than when ya started!!!!!

its all the nitty-gritty bits tha make or brake the finnished job!
yers doin fine.....NICE!!

I never wanted to be normal anyways!
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: