May 18, 2024, 11:38:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565773 times)
kapri

« Reply #3690 on: September 25, 2011, 09:10:30 AM »

theres a good circle of people in rodding.
kev is one of the best.

did ya get up of the floor ok kev?

I do what I do at home Chris , try and gather everything I need around me in one go so get up and down as little as possible. It was a good day, great cameraderie that saw me manage to put in more time than I would on my own project.
kapri

« Reply #3691 on: September 25, 2011, 06:28:27 PM »

How long did you think it would take when you started Andy ? I know from experience and chatting to other rodders how long a 'ground up' would take most rodders with a couple of projects under their belt.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3692 on: September 25, 2011, 07:19:55 PM »

Don't forget that when Andy started this he was also building a couple of trikes and then got involved with an American car project..........

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
kapri

« Reply #3693 on: September 25, 2011, 07:30:04 PM »

You obviously read that as " How long did you think it would take?" as opposed to my meaning of " How long did you think it would take? "  Wink
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3694 on: September 25, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »

lol

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
panthershaun

« Reply #3695 on: September 25, 2011, 07:48:21 PM »

I thought mine would be a quick one year build, didn't factor in work, other projects and chuffing health issue's  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3696 on: September 25, 2011, 10:02:24 PM »

Touch wood, my health's fine -so far.
Time, money, lack of car building experience & the gradual, relentless grinding down of my enthusiasm have been the biggest issues for me.
Most of my workmates turn up in the morning, do their shift, then go home & put their feet up, or play golf, or go fishing. I get changed into my scruffy workshop gear & trudge off to Loony's place, where I sometimes put in as many hours as I do at work. I'd just like to take a break from it all sometimes. Unfortunately I can't -not till the truck's safely registered anyway.
Many year's of budget building experience has taught me it's not the big components that drain your bank account, it's the endless list of small stuff -clips, nuts n bolts, lengths of metal, plus comsumables like cake, angle grinder discs, welding gas & wire, even marker pens. It all adds up. 
I've had a hand in building a dozen trikes now, plus various bikes & played with Morris Minors for a couple of years too, but never built a car from scratch before. With every mounting tab & bracket having to be made by hand, I can spend days toiling away in the workshop with hardly anything to show for it.
I'd guessed maybe a year to throw a basic rod together -yeah, I know, I know!
All afternoon today spent just making one bulkhead panel & it's still not finished.
PD came back & he & Loony had another go at the brakes. A leaking union on the new VW master cylinder isn't helping, but looks like we need a pressure bleeder if anyone local has one. If not we'll get the engine running & use the extra pressure from the servo. Tomorrow afternoon Mr L & I plan to crack on & finish the footwell panels. I also need to try the front screen in place in case I need to take it back to be trimmed down.
Keep saying it, but I do appreciate everyone's help. Makes a huge difference.  Wink 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3697 on: September 25, 2011, 11:17:43 PM »

Even those of us who can't offer practical help are rooting for you and willing it to be finished in time!

poprodder

« Reply #3698 on: September 26, 2011, 06:50:49 AM »

i'll second that^^^^^

kapri

« Reply #3699 on: September 26, 2011, 06:51:10 AM »

From chatting with others and self experience a 'basic' rod would take around 1000-1500 hours .It's where you find those hours while fitting in normal life that dictate the length of time from start to finish .

When I was well , and working , I'd do a full day and then 4 hours every evening plus all day Saturday and Sunday and get a car finished in a year . That's 36 hours a week !
terry t

« Reply #3700 on: September 26, 2011, 08:29:51 AM »

wanted speedo clock lights.has any one got in there box of bits the push in lights for this speedo there are 5 of them it from the Austin/Morris range of 60/70 vehicle
http://i55.tinypic.com/2ljniu8.jpg
Manky's Pop.

poprodder

« Reply #3701 on: September 26, 2011, 08:35:24 AM »

i'll have a look.

poprodder

« Reply #3702 on: September 26, 2011, 08:39:35 AM »

sorry no spares and all missing out of speedos i've got.

chopper charlie

Making a mockery of mechanical ingenuity

« Reply #3703 on: September 26, 2011, 08:50:44 AM »

I just bought some L.E.D.'s to go in my clocks for the gasser,, got em from Maplins for a coupla quid each and they do various sized bezels

Firing on all eight
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3704 on: September 26, 2011, 10:02:39 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement guys.  Kiss
Gearbox tunnel finished, at least for now. The gear selector rods are rubbing on the side of the box though. The bulkhead's done but just with self tappers wherever we could fit them. It'll all come apart after the test so can be properly sorted then, when we can take the body off the chassis & reach everything we can't get to at the moment.
The footwells are more or less done too. Exhausts are back on & so's the pick-up bed. We've also poured the Por 15 tank sealant in & sloshed it around the Reliant tank. Takes 96 hours to cure!
A small mishap to round the day off -Loony was driving home, pulled out of a junction a little too enthusiastically -& bust a drive shaft in his ancient Rover.
Poo.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: