May 17, 2024, 08:41:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564708 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3510 on: August 14, 2011, 12:46:49 PM »

Obviously don't want to squirt anything on it that'll react with the paint, but it's heart breaking to see it covered in bright orange rust after just one day in the rain -looks like it's been dragged out of someone's garden now. I'll wire wheel it back to bright metal as we work around it then blow some paint on to protect it for now.
After getting metal dust in my eyes a couple of days ago, I'm using antiseptic cream for a few days, which is giving me blurred vision, (like smearing Vasoline in your eyes), so I've taken a day off from the workshop today. Hope to crack on with the doors, floors & pick-up bed tomorrow though. We're down to the last few weeks to get this test-worthy now, so we're looking at cutting corners where we can & doing just what we have to for the test. It can all be re-worked if necessary afterwards. Still want it to look presentable for the tester though, so the surface rust has to go.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
WAYNE999

« Reply #3511 on: August 14, 2011, 06:14:47 PM »

We've all got old engine oil kicking about.I use it to wipe down my rifles after a day out in the rain and they don't rust.

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
Archie

« Reply #3512 on: August 14, 2011, 08:29:45 PM »

I wouldn't worry about it. Looking at it today the majority of the orange bits are metal filings which blow off.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3513 on: August 14, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »

Wish all rust would just blow away with an airline -would've saved us a fortune restoring Taz's Dodge!

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #3514 on: August 15, 2011, 07:45:44 AM »

still woulda had gaping holes there

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3515 on: August 15, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »

Grin
Those nice doors I bought the other day- Loony made a start on fitting the first one this afternoon.
Hmm, a bit of filler in this one.
Oh, quite a lot of filler.
Oh my Gawd!
The doors are actually pretty straight & rot free, but someone's spent an awful lot of time & money laying about 5mm of body filler across the front edge. Possibly to bring them out level with the surrounding bodywork? Have to say, they made a damn good job of shaping the contours.
We need to fit oversize hinge pins to take out the wear in the 60 year old hinges as the doors droop at the moment. Fortunately local forum member Reg managed to machine us a set from some stainless steel bolts, so tomorrow we plan to drill the hinges & re-pin them, so the doors hang right before Loony attempts to fit them to the body.
In the meantime, today I ground off the studs that held the pick-up bed to the chassis, (to be replaced with nuts & bolts), as well as taking 5mm off either side of the tailgate, (it was fouling on the newly welded bed inner panels).
Slow progress, but it's progress.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:42:02 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #3516 on: August 16, 2011, 12:10:40 PM »

Keep up the progress, there's 3 other rodded pick ups under the whip towards the finish line !
terry t

« Reply #3517 on: August 16, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »

Keep up the progress, there's 3 other rodded pick ups under the whip towards the finish line !
Kev whats is the basics that we need to do for the test
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #3518 on: August 16, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »

Kev whats is the basics that we need to do for the test

You have a copy of the last, latest version of the SVA manual to look at. Ask Andy to show you the relative sections.

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3519 on: August 16, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »

Yup, Mr Phunkie's kindly leant us his copy. We're pretty much on track Terry.
No pressure then kev!  Shocked
Arrived at the workshop this afternoon after a lousy day trudging the streets delivering the mail, to find Loony hard at work on the door. Lots of chopping about, altering the hinges, redrilling them & fitting bigger, 10mm diameter pins, opening up the gap between the front edge of the door & the bodywork to allow it to shut properly. Because the door's lower than the previous one, the top edge curves inwards towards the roof lower down, meaning Mr L needs to pull it out to meet the body, then add a fill in strip across the top.
Several people have said we're daft to take on a major bodywork change at this late stage, but the previous doors didn't fit either & needed just as much work. At least with these we've got a well executed window frame chop & glass to match.

My crummy day at work was down to a buggered back. Don't know what I've done, hopefully just a pulled muscle, but it's been agony just getting in & out of my mail van all day. I began my workshop shift by crawling under the truck to swap the rusty mild steel bolts in the suspension linkages for bright zinc ones, Changing the bolts wasn't just an exercise in blinging up the suspension. Some of the bolts fitted were only temporary & too short. SVA regs state they should protrude by at least 1 1/2 threads from the face of the nut. They all do now. 
Trouble was I found I literally couldn't get up again. Every movement was painful. Laying on my back like a stranded turtle, I had to admit defeat & head home hurt. I guess I'm just not as young as I think I am. I'm sitting here now with an ice pack on my lower back, hoping to be fit enough to deliver Her Majesty's Mail again tomorrow.
I can't be broken. Not now! We haven't got time to be ill. I can be ill later.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:03:39 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

spanners

« Reply #3520 on: August 16, 2011, 07:31:34 PM »

andy,,

if there,s anything i can do or supply from up here ,, just  SHOUT,,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3521 on: August 16, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »

A new back would be nice Mike.
You've got enough to worry about already without helping me out -however, if you come across a spare Landrover Defender windscreen  Grin Also need the rubber for it & one for a Morris Minor pick-up rear window.
Oh, & a couple of free bikes please!  Cheesy

spanners

« Reply #3522 on: August 16, 2011, 11:36:26 PM »

A new back would be nice Mike.
You've got enough to worry about already without helping me out -however, if you come across a spare Landrover Defender windscreen  Grin Also need the rubber for it & one for a Morris Minor pick-up rear window.
Oh, & a couple of free bikes please!  Cheesy

THIS IS GONNA SOUND SO FUNNY -------------BUT
as regards the landrover defender type windscreen Smiley  how about a brand new one  Wink Wink Wink  never been fitted ,,,still in packet,,,

i was thinkin about you when you siad youde bought a s/h  one the other day (i used to build up my own landy,s )
ITS YOURS ,,,FREE ,, OF CHARGE,, if you can get it collected.
asregards to windscreen rubber i may hav a  s/h one   i,ll take a look

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
spanners

« Reply #3523 on: August 16, 2011, 11:38:53 PM »

RE,FREE BIKE,S

a couple of dozen  ,,push,, bike,s lying around  probably going on top of the skips..

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3524 on: August 17, 2011, 04:28:00 AM »

Seriously?! A brand new screen? Yes please Mike! If we can't get it down to Surrey in time we can make do with the second hand one I bought for now, then swap it over later. Much appreciated Sir.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:28:41 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: