May 09, 2024, 11:11:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Ariel  (Read 29313 times)
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »

well Old newbie , it get even more weird , i took the carank to a mate engineering shop and one of the lads there check the crank and rekons that i was a ba hair oot or a thouchtie as we say . i re assembled the crank and from tdc every sixth rotation stiffens up a little , the cam has been removed so its not that , i will have to remove the oil pump gear and retry , my thinking is that this turns on a slower rotation through the gearing you if know what i mean , i have a spare so if its that i have a replacement .

i do have a another little question , the oil pump drive gear is located onto the end of the crank shaft and has a wood rough key , the securing nut has a lockiing tab washer but i cannot see what it locks against , in fact the nut doesnt even tighten up enough to pinch the washer . and if i do fold the tab surely it would just spin off , or is this the wrong kind of tab washer and its suppose to lock into the strange grrove in the oil pump drive gear ?

im starting to get a bit lost on something that should be simple

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/IMG_2132_zps4937927f.jpg
Ariel

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/IMG_2133_zps48e1baac.jpg
Ariel
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2013, 08:02:25 PM »

The tab washer appears to have its inner 'nib' missing. This would normally locate in the drive gears keyway, then once the nut is hardened up, flatten the outer tab against the nut, as as usual. A touch of "Nutlok" wouln't go amiss, either,also check the shaft for truth before you install, you never know, it may have a slight set in that sides shaft! Morrag.

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Olds

« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2013, 08:23:07 PM »

The notch in the face of the gear suggests the lock washer should have a small tab or be deformed into this notch with a punch.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
blair

« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2013, 09:01:51 PM »

cheer guys , when i got the bike there was almost an entire spare bsa c11 engine in bits , after a bit of working out it lloks like many parts had already been swapped about so it may not even be the proper tab washer , i kindo figured that it should locate onto the groove in the drive gear but just checking . thread lock is a good call

anyways been back out and removed the oil pump drive shaft and the 6 turn tight spot vanished , i then removed the oil pump and put the shaft back in and still no tight spot so suspect is the pump. already had it opened up and cleaned it out so i may have reassembled it incorrectly.

progress .... maybe 
blair

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2013, 08:56:06 PM »

and the tab washer saga continues , theres a notch in the ooil pump drive gear and i assumed that the tab washer would locate into there however i happened across a man that has restored a couple of BSA c11's and he says the tab washer didnt locate into anything , and thats kindo of what the guys at draganfly thought may be the case , but since i have plenty of thread lock i should be ok .

on other news the barrel that i got second hand has some pittin on the head gasket face so i whent to visit my mate at the machine shop , its not something hes done before but is willing to give it a go  Huh still for a free service i cant complain even if its crap

blair

« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2013, 09:56:36 PM »

thought i would be able to start getting the top end back together but had to wait for some parts , the plate you see below was supplied by a company , when i phoned to complain about the shape of it the man did a bit of typing into his computer and said "sorry lad but that's an original part , we didnt make that " no wonder british bike building took a nose dive

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/d356600f-b5c7-4ad6-bf1c-ec5a80507471_zps97be153a.jpg
Ariel

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/IMG_2157_zpsff23062f.jpg
Ariel
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2013, 10:06:16 PM »

O.K, I give up -what is it?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
blair

« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2013, 07:41:48 AM »

O.K, I give up -what is it?

whats what ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »

The plate with the holes in it.

blair

« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2013, 10:55:04 AM »

its a plate with holes in it  Grin Tongue Grin Tongue Grin , im so funny ..... its just a plate that sits on top of the rocker trunnion not really sure what its there for but its supposed to be there.

there was a modification made to allow oil to be sent up to the trunnion and rockers it was originally just oiled from the oil mist but the new trunnion has a slot in it so its maybe to do with that as i cant see it on any of the original parts lists. the modification allowed oil to come from the return oil feed pipe up to the rockers . wasnt a very pretty modification

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2013, 08:05:26 PM »

Erm - isn't it going to need more modding to make it fit?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
blair

« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2013, 07:55:31 PM »

well its been a while since i updated this thread , as this is a side project theres no rush to get it done however life throws things in the mix and i may have to sell my house ...and thus my bikes , i always hate seeing unfinished projects for sale that say "just needs -fill in the blank - to finish" , i dont think this would be the case with this as it still need heeps :lol: to finish . but i have managed to get the head sorted after a bit of fannying about this meant i could get most of the block back together Cheesy apart from the timing gear ,i mentioned the advance retard unit before but i kept looking at it and thinking something just wasnt right about it as i had to use a pry bar to open it and a vice to close it . i had bought a set of springs and when i seen these realised that the unit was seized . so i set about taken it to bits

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/IMG_2522_zps0cdece36.jpg
Ariel

looks like someone had overtightened the retaining bolt and squashed up the shaft , as its tapered i couldnt just clamp it in the lathe jaws , so i machined up a bar to shove up its arse , worked quite well

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/IMG_2523_zpsa1562c2a.jpg
Ariel

one snag was whilst dismantling it i broke a lug off one of the weights so i had to weld on a bit and then file it to shape

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/IMG_2527_zpsf82a3bd3.jpg
Ariel

he unit now works as it should and i have a new set of springs on the way - boost

this is how the block looks - lightly polished cause i really dont have the patient to do it proper

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/IMG_2540_zps15b6cc5b.jpg
Ariel

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/IMG_2541_zps0d2e3c51.jpg
Ariel

so i moved onto the gearbox , i had a problem locking the clutch but after a while i got it off , there was some damage to the middle bit ( i dont know the name of the parts  Undecided ) but there's a cush drive in there but the rubber has melted and is really sticky  Huh
not sure what to do maybe see if i can make some polyurethane replacements

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/IMG_2548_zpsb513ea44.jpg
Ariel

till next time , or you may see it in the "for sale section " if things go against me  Cry
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2013, 08:03:57 PM »

Hello mate. Nice to see you here again, but sorry to hear about the house thing. Hope it works out for you.
Block looks nice.

Olds

« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2013, 08:26:01 PM »

Lets hope we don't see in the for sale section.
You may be able to get the rubber buffers from Draganfly. Or perhaps you could use cush drive segments from a rear wheel rather than polyurethane.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
blair

« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2013, 07:56:29 PM »

Hello mate. Nice to see you here again, but sorry to hear about the house thing. Hope it works out for you.
Block looks nice.

i havent really been away , just havent posted or made a whole lot of progress, i have got another project on the go as well so that taken a bit of my time up as well , and then there's the lack of inspiration , sometimes its a struggle to get of my backside and do anything . and this is not me normally

however me and my x have decided that we have to settle the house , the plan is to buy her out if i can afford to . if not itll be for sale and ill have to find a new place, we still speak and there is no bad feeling and i even get my doggies for sleep overs hahahah

Lets hope we don't see in the for sale section.
You may be able to get the rubber buffers from Draganfly. Or perhaps you could use cush drive segments from a rear wheel rather than polyurethane.

i got hold of Draganfly this morning and the replacements are on the way already , probably be here before i need them lol started to strip the frame down so i can send it for blasting , the plan is to paint it myself to keep costs down

i had a look at the wheels today and they are going to need to be sent away for spokes and rims £££££ , gearbox next though

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: