May 14, 2024, 09:26:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Registration ............  (Read 9276 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2009, 11:17:34 PM »

Hi Terry,
not sure which form we used to apply for the VIN. I've got a feeling we might even have just rung them & gone in in person to our local office at Wimbledon & filled in whatever form they gave us on the day. The form they handed us with the VIN number on is a V842.
I've got an information leaflet here which is labelled INF148, (probably available to view online at the DVLA website), which is titled Licensing & registering your vehicle using V55/4 or V55/5.
Things have changed since we got our VINs -the MSVA test has become the BIVA test. I'm told it's basically the same & just a name change to bring things into line with Europe. We're hoping the VIN numbers we've already been asigned under the old system will still apply.
I know it all sounds a bit of a minefield, but just contact your local DVLA office, (for some reason they insist on you doing that), & take it one very small step at a time. The girl we dealt with at Wimbledon was very chatty & helpful, but obviously the response might vary from office to office, depending on how used to dealing with one-off builds they are.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:20:26 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Plasticpig

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 07:53:41 PM »

If you have any probs with local offices's phone up the Cardiff office. I know it might be a long way, but they are great there, and have never given me any bum information.
We have the Trike shop, and Hanks place as well, so they must have people asking them for info all the time.
terry t

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2009, 11:07:54 PM »

took forms to local dvla office today. got appointment for the inspector to check. vin /engine numbers on 6 jan
ROD

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »

Bit of an update...
 'phoned swansea asked them to check whether my local office appointment next monday was still on-going due to the weather etc. After several mins explaining to the guy there,and him treating me like a school kid,he said to hold while he contacted the local office . Came back saying ,"sorry the Manchester office is closed today,so no answer" Er ..I told you the CHELMFORD office mate..."Oh well ,whatever ,just try this number tomorrow" He gave me a number that you 'phone to book a call back call from your local office. I rang it straight away ,and gave my details. The Chelmsford office rang me back within about 20 mins. The lady there was really on the ball,and even had my file there, said not to worry  etc etc ,the inspector rarely missed an appointment.So now I have to gamble the cost of getting it there ,due to the possibly poor weather .I may have to cancel it until later due to the weather,as I dont want to lose £100.Hey Ho! The saga continues!
hornet6

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 09:36:26 PM »

Hi all. Ive been following this thread and it seems really confusing.My long terminal project,is it all gonna go to waste?Mr t.bones excellent write up states that you need receipts for the parts,but thats the problem,i can;t find any.The tubing i bought cost about 50 quid 2 years ago.The forks and front wheel i bought from stafford county show ground.The headstock was a favour from a mate and an exchange for a pack of stellas.I did get a receipt for the engine but i cant find it anywhere.Most of the brackets and stuff ive made myself.
So,from this point now,if i buy parts off ebay,say a master cylinder.Do i print off the transaction to say this is what ive spent towards this build.How many receipts do they need to see? A mate said that he could say that he sold me the engine and just write out a receipt.Do you think that would be ok for the dvla ? Ime starting to get a bit worried now Cry Cry Cry

no projects ever finished
tbone

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 10:44:21 PM »

I`m in the same situation, my tube was bought a year ago now, front end and axle was from a forum member as was the engine and box.Other bits and bobs have been bought from ebay, bike shops and even shows that i`ve attended. I think the idea behind it is more to prove that it`s not been stolen, altered a little then re registered as a new vehicle? To be honest, i`m not overly worried about receipts, i think it may help your case if you have them, but won`t hinder it if you haven`t.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 11:55:34 PM »

I haven't got a single receipt for my trike build or Taz's. Like you guys, it's all bartered, cash sales or home made parts. ByzMax has put several trikes through the test & been involved with several others. He keeps telling me not to worry. As you say, receipts keep the pen pushers happy, but not essential. It's up to them to prove your parts are stolen, not you.

hornet6

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2010, 01:32:30 AM »

GREAT....thats a massive weight off my shoulders....i was really thinking ide gotta get receipts for everything  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

ROD

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 08:05:01 AM »

Ive now decided to cancel the appointment for another week or so,to try to avoid the dodgy weather. I tend to lose receipts as they get left all over the place,screwed up ,muddy,etc! Ive managed to find 99% of mine,and have filed them in date order. Not cos Im efficient (sp?),but I want to LOOK like I am for the DVLA! Grin I figure its psycological,that if they think Im good with the paperwork ,the rest will be OK too!Im sure all this palaver isnt half as bad as Ive read on the 'net. Easier of course, if you can just show paperwork to get the vin number! But Chelmsford dont do it that way!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 02:07:17 PM »

That's the trouble isn't it -doesn't seem to be a lot of uniformity between offices. Makes things very confusing.

hornet6

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 03:34:57 PM »

Rather than phoning and making appointments,cant all this be sorted out on the dvla website.Has anyone tried to apply for  the forms for a vin plate on line

ROD

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 05:26:14 PM »

You have to apply to your nearest office and get it done there . They wont accept you going to any other office. There isnt an e mail address or phone number for the local offices(well ,Chelmsford hasnt got one anyway)hence you have to go through the Swansea switchboard. OR go to the local office in person. But they dont make it easy at Chelmsford ,as their blurb says there is only a limited number of parking spaces ,and no other local parking and there isnt any public transport nearby . They dont guarantee to be open with all this white stuff about ,so its pot luck really.Hence me leaving my trike for better weather!
 You can probably get the forms,but that dont guarantee that your particular office will do it without an inspection.Some offices come to you apparently.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:27:56 PM by ROD » Logged
hornet6

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 05:35:03 PM »

Hi.ive bust been on the dvla website where u can ask a general question via email. So i just sent one in explaining that ime in the middle of building a custom motorcycle and if they can give me any info on applying for a vin plate. Ive received an email back saying that they will notify me by email again in 3 working days about my enquiry,so i will keep you posted on the result.Just hope it turns out ok cuz it may help out a lot of other peeps on here.

ROD

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »

Its all a big pain in the arse aint it? ,but gotta be well worth the effort in the long run to be able to drive it on the highway!
ROD

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2010, 09:21:52 PM »

Anuver update.....Received my vin number in post,and also some other info. ...I will be asigned a Q plate once I have got thro' the sva test. Had to 'phone them to get my receipts back which they wanted to check through.Apparently they need these before they will issue the reg. Theres a £55 one of registration fee to pay also.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:27:19 PM by ROD » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: