May 17, 2024, 10:08:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565007 times)
cunningplan

« Reply #6300 on: June 17, 2013, 06:47:06 AM »

Yeah I get that too Tony.
Yes, it still jumps as I put it into gear. Holding it hard on the brakes as I do helps.

Try turning out the idle screws half turn and the try the gears again, I had a friend who worked in the gearbox place in Bristol, I had the same problem, I thought it was the converter but he said it could be a weak idle mixture, I altered the mixture and it worked. (Remember, the idle screws only affect the mixture on idle and don't make any difference to the running side) For the sake of turning two screws, its worth a try  Wink
Olds

« Reply #6301 on: June 17, 2013, 07:48:31 AM »

Most autos jump when you put them into drive. My V8 has an interlock that wont let me select drive without pressing down on the brake pedal.
If it's bad it may be the tickover is a little high. I think it should be 550-650 rpm for non emission equipped engines.

About engine condition, this is worth a read.

http://www.v8engines.com/engine-4.htm
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:04:45 AM by Old Newbie » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
kapri

« Reply #6302 on: June 17, 2013, 09:18:46 AM »

Follow ONs link but click on cam condition and see if you recognise anything Andy ? Then read what it says ...I think I may have posted that up already ? Wink
kapri

« Reply #6303 on: June 17, 2013, 09:30:05 AM »

When you do rebuild you'll need a good quality 20/50 ( no other grade ) ,Halfords Classic is fine for this or any of the other American oils out there. However don't mix Halfords with any other oil . You'll also need to use ZDDplus additive . This is to make sure you cam doesn't fail under break in as any oil newer than SE spec doesn't contain enough Zinc. This has been removed as it is detrimental to catalytic converters but it's lack is even more detrimental to flat tappet cams.

Breaking in a new cam requires cam coating with oil that will stick there during cranking , I normally use STP / Wynns mixed with Zddplus and engine oil and liberally coat it all .Engine needs to be set up so it will fire near enough first time.

Then it needs starting and running at no more than 3000 rpm and NEVER at tickover, varying revs until it has completed 20 minutes in total. Generally you'll need to hire a bloody great fan as it will get very hot running for those revs statically. Drives my neighbours mental when I do it so I always forewarn and they generally go out!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6304 on: June 19, 2013, 08:14:05 PM »

Fortunately there's only one family within earshot of Loony's workshop & they don't seem to mind the metal bashing & engine running in the yard.
Sound advice Kev. Looks like the way to go during the Winter rebuild. I'm using Halfords Classic oil at the moment.
A blazing hot day today. Too hot for working really but I want to get my motorcycle exhausts finished by the end of this week, so I spent the late afternoon smoothing welds with a handfile. I took the cover off the Pop though & fired it up.
It starts first time every time, (thanks to the electronic ignition?), but even in today's heat, needed half choke for the first few minutes, but then it's been stood for a week or so. I left it to run on tickover for maybe 15 minutes, stopped it, checked the coolant & topped it up, then ran it for another 15- 20 minutes. No problems at all. The oil change seems to have quietened the motor down & there's certainly no warning noises from the rockers/valves/pushrods. The other bank of cylinders is smoking very slightly at the exhaust once it's warm. I was tempted to pull the head on that side too & decoke it as I did on the other side, but it's running so I'm leaving it well alone for now.
If I blip the throttle quickly I can sort of catch the motor out -it doesn't pick up instantly. Should be perfectly driveable, but still needs a little fine tuning I think. Kev, what should the clearance between the accelerator pump arm & the bottom of the pump be at tickover/stopped? I've had the carb off & may need to adjust the throttle cable a tad.
Didn't get a chance to take it out for a drive today, but hoping to drive the 75 miles from Basingstoke to the Nostalgia Nationals drag races at Stratford on Avon on Sunday.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
cunningplan

« Reply #6305 on: June 19, 2013, 08:31:05 PM »

Fortunately there's only one family within earshot of Loony's workshop & they don't seem to mind the metal bashing & engine running in the yard.
Sound advice Kev. Looks like the way to go during the Winter rebuild. I'm using Halfords Classic oil at the moment.
A blazing hot day today. Too hot for working really but I want to get my motorcycle exhausts finished by the end of this week, so I spent the late afternoon smoothing welds with a handfile. I took the cover off the Pop though & fired it up.
It starts first time every time, (thanks to the electronic ignition?), but even in today's heat, needed half choke for the first few minutes, but then it's been stood for a week or so. I left it to run on tickover for maybe 15 minutes, stopped it, checked the coolant & topped it up, then ran it for another 15- 20 minutes. No problems at all. The oil change seems to have quietened the motor down & there's certainly no warning noises from the rockers/valves/pushrods. The other bank of cylinders is smoking very slightly at the exhaust once it's warm. I was tempted to pull the head on that side too & decoke it as I did on the other side, but it's running so I'm leaving it well alone for now.
If I blip the throttle quickly I can sort of catch the motor out -it doesn't pick up instantly. Should be perfectly driveable, but still needs a little fine tuning I think. Kev, what should the clearance between the accelerator pump arm & the bottom of the pump be at tickover/stopped? I've had the carb off & may need to adjust the throttle cable a tad.
Didn't get a chance to take it out for a drive today, but hoping to drive the 75 miles from Basingstoke to the Nostalgia Nationals drag races at Stratford on Avon on Sunday.

There should be next to no clearance (If that makes sense) They say to give a little play with the Holley but none with my Barry Grant, If you do make it on the weekend and I have time I will check it for you  Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6306 on: June 19, 2013, 08:36:52 PM »

Coo, checked by an official race scrutineer! I'll look out for you Tony.

phunkie hiboy

« Reply #6307 on: June 19, 2013, 09:48:18 PM »

Kev, what should the clearance between the accelerator pump arm & the bottom of the pump be at tickover/stopped?

Have a look in the Holley book, that should tell you.

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6308 on: June 20, 2013, 08:16:02 PM »

Looked in the red Holley book Chris -it didn't tell me. No mention of an actual feeler gauge type measurement.
Ran the Pop outside the workshop again this afternoon. It's ticking over nicely now, but still flat at low revs. If I try to pull away gently it almost dies & I have to blip the throttle to pick the revs back up. Driving it harder works, but would be hard work to do all the time. It was fine before I took the inlet manifold & cylinder head off, so can only be a slight tweak of the carb somewhere. I just don't know where.
Finally got the driver's side sill panel tacked in place today. I really hate it looking so rough & ratty. I didn't set out to build a ratrod & I think it just looks like we're not capable of better. Not much more I can do before the Nostalgia Nats on Sunday, but I'll probably wire wheel off the surface rust & some more of the old paint tomorrow to try & tidy it up a bit, (Loony's elsewhere so I'll be at the workshop on my own tomorrow). 

kapri

« Reply #6309 on: June 20, 2013, 09:09:22 PM »

You did refit the vac advance pipe ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6310 on: June 20, 2013, 09:24:27 PM »

Yes Kev -honest. But it's that kind of symptom.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6311 on: June 20, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »

Has it got holes in it?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
spanners

« Reply #6312 on: June 20, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »

Has it got holes in it?

HOTROD HOLES   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6313 on: June 20, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »

Cheesy Worth checking tomorrow.

kapri

« Reply #6314 on: June 20, 2013, 10:11:11 PM »

Just trying to think what could have been disturbed or left undone.
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: