May 17, 2024, 09:54:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565003 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5505 on: January 22, 2013, 08:03:58 PM »

Grin They've been there the whole time -I've just taken the paint off them!
After the registration process, when we've got more time, I'm very tempted to bare metal the whole thing just for this Summer. We've spent so long welding & grinding everything, it'd be nice to show there's no body filler in it. Loony's also keen to have a go at lead filling. We'll see.
Another short day. Loon was working on a VW camper van alongside the truck, which limits how many sparks I can throw about. So I took the passenger door off & trimmed the last of the fill-in pieces around the front edge of the door opening.
Originally the hinges were fixed to the body with 3 large screws but at some point they've been welded directly to the bodyshell. So after re-inforcing them a bit we're plating over the screw mounts. I need Mr Loon to tack weld everything in place now so I can check the door still shuts flush with the body.
You can see the snow on the VW Golf outside the 'shop door.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:05:40 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5506 on: January 22, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »

With the light fading & the threat of more snow, I was determined to wire wheel off the paint on the passenger door. So I set up a "Workmate" bench outside & fired up the angle grinder. Took bloomin' ages, but I got it done. Just in time -as I finished, I looked up from the bench through the pink haze of my safety glasses, to find it was snowing quite heavily & the electrical lead I was using was soaking wet. Safety first kids.
A few small rust holes in the same places to patch, but this door's no where near as bad as the other one -did they just fill it anyway while they had the tin open?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5507 on: January 22, 2013, 09:21:44 PM »

Pinched from the Pop Shop's site!

spanners

« Reply #5508 on: January 22, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »

next project  Wink Wink body,chassis and engine etc for sale on R n,S  Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
poprodder

« Reply #5509 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:01 PM »

more good progress,
i'm guessing the doors were filled to level up with surrounding bodywork of pop they were fitted to.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5510 on: January 23, 2013, 12:01:16 AM »

Yeah, that's what we wondered. I can understand the window frame being filled to hide the joint where it's been chopped, but the filler could've ended at the swage line. The doors stood proud of the body when they were fitted to our Pop, but nothing's symetrical from one side of the vehicle to the other & I doubt any 2 cars off the production line were the same.

panthershaun

« Reply #5511 on: January 23, 2013, 11:06:52 AM »

that would make a cool Gasser, I wonder if we could get RM to sponser us??

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5512 on: January 23, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »

Grin

cunningplan

« Reply #5513 on: January 23, 2013, 08:35:21 PM »

to late with the Postman Pat van  Roll Eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8IT69AP7Uo4
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5514 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »

Grin
Passenger door finished -well, all tacked together for now anyway. Good enough for MOT testing, then we can seam weld it later.
Before I make a start on the driver's door, we've decided to fix the roof. Pops left the factory with a vinyl insert in the middle of the roof, due to steel shortages after the war. When I bought the car it had a flat steel panel welded in & covered in body filler. We replaced that with part of a Rover P6 roof, which had the same double curvitaure as the Pop.
Loony tack welded most of it in place, but a mate had a go at the other side. Too much heat & working too slowly meant the panel distorted & sank inwards. We'll sort it out now, before the windscreen goes in.
No photos today, but I've cut through the roof weld & ground back the inside face, ready for Loony to tack it in it's proper position tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:41:53 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Cabman77

« Reply #5515 on: January 24, 2013, 12:10:06 PM »

That`s what happens when structural engineers weld thin steel tissue paper  Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5516 on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:04 PM »

Grin I wouldn't be able to weld it -my welding experience is all with thick walled tubing for trike frames so I'm not really criticising. I'm leaving all the bodywork for Loon to do cos it's what he does all day long. We've got a deadline & now ain't the time for me to start experimenting with it.
Won't take much to put right but needs doing now before we put the glass in, or we'll have to take it back out again to weld it later.
There's also a couple of 1/2" deep creases on either side of the roof above the doors, (you can see one here just behind the dab of green paint on the front corner). They're factory joints between panels & were filled with lead. The roof's double skinned at those points so we can't just knock them out from underneath. So we're borrowing a blowlamp to melt the lead out cos we can't weld to it, then I'll cut some bridging pieces from sheet steel to repair them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:02:19 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5517 on: January 24, 2013, 09:04:07 PM »

Passenger door all finished, (well, all tack welded, which is good enough for now), & opening & closing. Still having to slam it to shut it fully at the moment, but we'll continue fettling things until it's right.
You can see the roof joints again here.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:06:23 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5518 on: January 24, 2013, 09:11:19 PM »

Loony & Big Darren went off to collect some parts from the local powder-coaters this afternoon, so no time to weld the roof. So I made a start on re-fitting the passenger floor. Can't fit the under-dash panels cos we still need to bleed the brakes & the servo's under the dash.
The floors are just blown over with a coat of satin black for now, which will soon get scuffed off once we start driving it, but they'll be carpetted eventually. They're undersealed underneath.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5519 on: January 24, 2013, 09:18:23 PM »

I spent over an hour trying to fit the 4 nuts & bolts that hold the fusebox to the floor. No idea how we managed it before, cos the exhaust's in the way. Eventually managed to get 3 nuts on. I very rarely swear -people don't normally wind me up enough to curse, but inanimate objects do it every time. After scrabbling around under the truck in the freezing cold & F'ing & blinding quietly, I'd had enough for one day -grrr!
Once I'd got home & warmed up a bit, I realised I could pull the floor panel out again tomorrow & get Loon to weld some captive nuts under it. Sorted.
Plastic fusebox cover in place.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:59:16 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: