May 10, 2024, 05:16:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to clean a lexan polycarbonate screen  (Read 1676 times)
terry t

« on: March 03, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »

my screen has a few scratches. but the main problem is it misty. is there and cleaning compounds that i can get to clean and polish it back up like new
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:21:50 PM by terry t » Logged
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 07:12:17 PM »

I have tried many products on perspex and they vary in quality. My car has hard perspex headlamp lenses which had started to cloud on the outside. I was advised to use toothpaste and it works really well. Bike screens often have an anti glare coating so not a good idea on those. I suggest trying on a tiny area to see how you get on. Soft top rear screens are a bugger but I think Frosts do something for them too.
Olds

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:40:27 PM »

Another problem is deciding if you have perspex or polycarbonate screen. It's not a good idea to use something like T cut on polycarbonate as the amonia in it will react with the screen and soften the surface causing more damage. A fine cutting compound used for paintwork will often improve things but sometimes the fogging can be very deep.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
terry t

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »

Another problem is deciding if you have perspex or polycarbonate screen. It's not a good idea to use something like T cut on polycarbonate as the amonia in it will react with the screen and soften the surface causing more damage. A fine cutting compound used for paintwork will often improve things but sometimes the fogging can be very deep.
just checked and its Lexan polycarbonate.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 09:42:48 PM »

I used to have a mate who cleaned his crash helmet visor with those clean up tissues they give you in KFC restaurants. He kept a bunch of them in his jacket pocket. After a couple of months the visor had fogged. 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: