May 10, 2024, 12:50:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: trailers and stuff  (Read 5552 times)
ROD

« on: May 05, 2012, 11:35:32 AM »

Cant find the thread that had this in on here......
 Length and width of trailer behind a trike?
 New law coming  Oct 2012?
tbone

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 01:39:48 PM »

Rod,
      Trailer Regulations for unbraked trailers as applied to Outfits, Trikes and Tricycles.

You are allowed to tow one trailer only at a time.

A trike can tow a trailer with a maximum unleaden weight of 254kg

Trikes under 450kg`s

The width of the trailer must not exceed 1.5 metres.

The length of the trailer must not exceed 7 metres.

A trike can tow up to a maximum gross weight of 254kg, or two thirds of the trikes kerbside weight (whichever is least).

Trikes over 450kg`s

The width of the trailer must not exceed 1.5 metres.

The maximum length of trailer allowed is 7 metres, measured from the rear axle to the rearmost part of the trailer.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:10:37 PM by tbone » Logged

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
terry t

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »

Tim. a motorbike and sidecar is treated as a solo motorbike. so they are only aloud to tow they same spec trailer as a bike. trike are classed different
check this site out. i know there are different views on towing a trailer with a trike
http://www.camperlands.co.uk/motorbike-towing-law/
tbone

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »

Hi Terry,
            You are correct in how they are classified, hence the difference in the weight limit....150kg`s for a motorbike.
As far as I am aware, the sizes and distances are the same because the Trike is classed as a 3 wheeled motorcycle.
I edited out the mention of side cars to stop any confusion.  Wink

Found the link.......http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/part/IV/chapter/C/made
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:03:07 PM by tbone » Logged

ROD

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 04:23:37 PM »

I think this may all get confusing. Ive just read the regs for single wheel m/cycle trailers ,which says no more than 2.5 m from bike axle to o/all of trailer,and no more than 1m wide. I know its for single wheel trailer,but thought Id read on here that it was so for 2 wheel trailers as well!
 UPDATE..thats the same info Terry linked to.
 So,if I stick to 1m wide and the 2.5m long part I should be either at the max allowed or well under the max.depending on which way you look at it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:32:02 PM by ROD » Logged
tbone

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 04:36:55 PM »

Where did you read about "single wheel motorcycle trailers" ?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:40:04 PM by tbone » Logged

ROD

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 04:41:28 PM »

Cant do links,but its on the MONOTRAIL website.
What about this new law coming out in October?
tbone

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 04:41:56 PM »

These are the construction & use regulations.............

Trailers drawn by motor cycles 84.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a motor cycle—
(a)drawing behind it more than one trailer;
(b)drawing behind it any trailer carrying a passenger;
(c)drawing behind it a trailer with an unladen weight exceeding 254 kg;
(d)with not more than 2 wheels, without a sidecar, and with an engine capacity which does not exceed 125 cc, drawing behind it any trailer; or
(e)with not more than 2 wheels, without a sidecar and with an engine capacity exceeding 125 cc, drawing behind it any trailer unless—
(i) the trailer has an overall width not exceeding 1 m;
(ii) the distance between the rear axle of the motor cycle and the rearmost part of the trailer does not exceed 2.5 m;
(iii) the motor cycle is clearly and indelibly marked in a conspicuous and readily accessible position with its kerbside weight;
(iv) the trailer is clearly and indelibly marked in a conspicuous and readily accessible position with its unladen weight; and
(v) the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed 150 kg or two thirds of the kerbside weight of the motor cycle, whichever is the less.
(2) The provisions of paragraph (1)(b),  (d) and (e) do not apply if the trailer is a broken down motorcycle and one passenger is riding it.

tbone

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »

Lets deal with A - C first... (1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a motor cycle—

(a) drawing behind it more than one trailer;                ................so you can only tow 1 trailer

(b) drawing behind it any trailer carrying a passenger;  .................you cant carry passengers in the trailer

(c) drawing behind it a trailer with an unladen weight exceeding 254 kg; ......... it has to weigh less than 254kg

Nothing else is relevant, so you then go back to Part II section A of the regs, Dimensions and Manoeuvrability.....

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:56:25 PM by tbone » Logged

tbone

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »

Part D.  no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a motor cycle—

d) with not more than 2 wheels, without a sidecar, and with an engine capacity which does not exceed 125 cc, drawing behind it any trailer; ........

.......A 2 wheeled motorbike, no sidecar under 125cc can not pull a trailer...... Not relevant to a 3 wheeled trike
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:53:03 PM by tbone » Logged

tbone

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 04:52:29 PM »

no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a motor cycle—
(e)with not more than 2 wheels, without a sidecar and with an engine capacity exceeding 125 cc, drawing behind it any trailer unless—
(i) the trailer has an overall width not exceeding 1 m;
(ii) the distance between the rear axle of the motor cycle and the rearmost part of the trailer does not exceed 2.5 m;
(iii) the motor cycle is clearly and indelibly marked in a conspicuous and readily accessible position with its kerbside weight;
(iv) the trailer is clearly and indelibly marked in a conspicuous and readily accessible position with its unladen weight; and
(v) the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed 150 kg or two thirds of the kerbside weight of the motor cycle, whichever is the less.

A 2 wheeled motorbike, no sidecar, more than 125cc can pull a trailer ect, ect.......... Not relevant to a 3 wheeled trike

ROD

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 05:02:24 PM »

I found that and tried to go through it piece by piece like that,but got a bit lost(old age! Grin)Thanks TB.
 So,what about this new October law then?
tbone

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 05:05:31 PM »

I did mention that a while ago.....I`ll look for the thread  Wink

And here it is....http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10649.msg133922#msg133922

Basicaly all new build trailers will need to undergo an inspection, much like the MSVA or BIVA inspections, and you`ll get a certificate afterwards. This is aimed at trailer manufacturers, to gain type approval, but anyone who builds a trailer is a manufacturer.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:12:05 PM by tbone » Logged

ROD

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 05:22:42 PM »

So anything built before then wont need to be tested hopefully? This is why Im thinking I should do this trailer build now!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 06:34:11 PM »

So...how would they know when you'd built it?
Kerbside weight of the motorcycle? On the logbook?

I always fancied building a sleek, custom trailer for my trike from one of those fibreglass car roof-top boxes. I don't actually need a trailer as I don't do the C word, (camping), but think it'd look cool.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:36:03 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: