May 20, 2024, 12:34:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554673 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1755 on: January 16, 2017, 05:04:56 PM »

O.K, so it would appear we've buggered the one part I can't find a replacement for -the special first steel plate, (I assumed they were the same as the rest of the steel ones as they look the same & it felt like the same thickness). I'm guessing it was so difficult to remove because there's a retaining clip we couldn't see tucked down into the groove in the back of the clutch basket. As you say Morrag, that appears to be a sprung steel wire & is available from Mikes XS in the States.
So I'm getting confused -if we remove the wire & the plain steel plate, plus the spring assembly, (not actually sure where that is), do I need to fit one more steel & one more friction plate in their place & is it as simple as that or am I going to need a whole new clutch basket as well? This is why I'm getting so disheartened with this bloody thing.  Sad

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1756 on: January 16, 2017, 07:26:47 PM »

Well, firstly, I think that's exactly what's happened, and indeed why you had to butcher the original 1st steel plate. The info. says that the inner steel plate should not be confused with the plain clutch plates so I assume its a different thickness, however, in lieu of the original bits, I would drop a spare plain plate onto the clutch hub, then follow with 6 friction and 5 plain, alternating of course, and ending with a friction plate. You will have to leave the spring seat and conical spring/circlip of the original set up out, and as such run without a clutch shock absorber. If you find that the clutch requires packing out to grip, then add a futher plate each of friction and plain, if there's room. It's really suck it and see time. Obviously,try and remove the large circlip replacing the plates. Give a try.....Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Baychimp

« Reply #1757 on: January 16, 2017, 08:13:58 PM »

Andy the reason the last plate was so hard to get off was the guy that put it back together before you bought it left two pieces of the puzzle out. So it moved to far back and got jammed. The plates are a different sizes, the anti loading plate is 1.6mm and the others are 1.4mm.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1758 on: January 16, 2017, 09:03:57 PM »

I'll have another look at it later this week.
Just been shopping for a couple of plain steel plates on Ebay & ended up buying this complete clutch assembly instead. It looks well used but might yield some parts or go in as a complete replacement, using my new friction plates & springs.
Never had problems like this before with any of my previous XSs. I'll be so glad to get this thing finished. Never, ever again.

spanners

« Reply #1759 on: January 16, 2017, 10:22:52 PM »

ANDY,,  dont go buying anymore bits, you can have my bike ,,THE BLACK PIG,, free of charge , just collect it  as i have lost the yard and workshop as of this evening

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
minimutly

« Reply #1760 on: January 16, 2017, 11:56:12 PM »

Free of charge - I'll be up tomorrow Andy just said never ever again...
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1761 on: January 17, 2017, 02:15:27 PM »

Don't go giving your stuff away Mike, (although I've been tempted to do the same). You know XSs are worth money in any condition. I don't need anything else for mine, just a working clutch & charging system, so by all means pass yours on to Mr Mutley but you'll regret it later if you throw it away for nowt, (sorry Mutt' Smiley ).

minimutly

« Reply #1762 on: January 17, 2017, 07:02:01 PM »

Lol, no worries.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1763 on: January 18, 2017, 08:24:53 PM »

My day off today so I spent some time tinkering with other stuff while I regain the enthusiasm to have another go at the clutch. Cut a couple of triangular indicator mounts from the panel I cut off the battery box. Also saved the threaded sections from that panel that the leather battery retaining strap attaches to.
New clutch centre nut & locking tab washer arrived in the Post from Yambits. Also received some stainless steel shelf brackets, £1.50 for 5 with free postage all the way from China -how do they make that pay? They're decent stainless too cos they work hardened when I opened the holes out & buggered my drill bit. I was going to make some mounting tabs for the reflectors, but for that price, why bother making them?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1764 on: January 18, 2017, 08:29:19 PM »

These are American bicycle reflectors, (copies of vintage 50s style ones), in red glass. They come in other colours too by the way. I had one bolted through the hole in one of the previous circular indicators. Those flashers were quite quirky, but very delicate & wouldn't have lasted long on the bike, so I'm going for these more robust aluminium ones instead. Using the little stainless brackets, I can hang one reflector under each indicator. I'll powder coat everything black eventually.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:09:22 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1765 on: January 18, 2017, 08:32:02 PM »

The triangular mounts will weld into the mudguard strut & lift the indicators by about 6".

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1766 on: January 18, 2017, 08:34:52 PM »

Old indicators removed. The lefthand one's now a couple of inches clear of the exhausts.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:36:40 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1767 on: January 18, 2017, 08:36:07 PM »

Just propped in place for now to see what they'll look like.
I'm quite happy with these. By the time they're coated black they won't look out of place, but will hopefully make riding in modern homicidal traffic a little safer.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1768 on: January 18, 2017, 08:38:23 PM »

Battery box refitted to check I can actually remove the battery from the front.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1769 on: January 18, 2017, 08:40:08 PM »

Yes I can. Now I need to find an offcut of 2mm steel & fold each end to make a removable front panel.
I'll have another look at the clutch at the weekend.

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: