May 17, 2024, 11:41:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554163 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1680 on: January 01, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »

Which of course makes perfect sense to someone who understands electrics, but not to Manky!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1681 on: January 01, 2017, 06:30:55 PM »

Maybe not, but the info just might prove useful to whoever is then wielding a DVM for him.... Smiley..Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1682 on: January 03, 2017, 08:33:07 PM »

I don't even know what a DVM is.  Tongue
Sat & looked at the bike for a while this afternoon. I've got quite a long To Do list now, which will involve a bit of fabrication & at least one more trip in a van with the bike to someone who can do a spot of welding for me.
So, starting at the front:

Buy & fit a green LED in place of the blue one in the speedo.
Have a look at the speedo drive -I've fitted a 90 degree drive unit intended for a car to the end of the original Yam' drive unit & I've got a feeling the plastic "cable" that fits into the original one isn't long enough to properly connect, or, being plastic, will wear very quickly. So the speedo might not work, or not for long anyway. So might need modifying with a section of old metal speedo cable.

Modify & fit the new aluminium bodied indicators I've bought. I'll drill the backs of the front ones & glue in amber lenses from a pair of Halfords dashboard warning lights as a tell-tale so I can see they're working.

Maybe change the fuel taps, as the righthand one doesn't fully close, (can't find them on Ebay now). I'd like to fit something with a Reserve position cos I know I'll forget & run the tank dry.

Pull the clutch apart & go through it all again. Everything's new, but the lever's far too stiff & the plates don't appear to be separating enough to disengage the drive. I've bought another set of springs cos they were cheap, just in case the ones fitted are super duper heavy duty ones, but it might be down to changing the lever for more leverage or something. Has to be fixed or I won't be riding anywhere.

Sort out the charging system. I've got a new set of alternator brushes on their way from the States. That might be all it is, but if not I'll buy another alternator or rectifier if I have to -again, it's going nowhere if that ain't fixed.

Buy a couple of lengths of perforated stainless tube, (if anyone sells such a thing), half the diameter of the pipes, & some big washers & make up full length baffles for the exhausts, to be wrapped in silencer wadding. I don't want to strangle the engine, but it definitely needs to be quieter for regular riding. If I start with baffles the whole length of the pipes, I can gradually shorten them till I'm happy with it.

Chase the engineer who's drilling & pinning the modified spare kickstart lever so I can get it welded up. Once fitted, it may need a flat face filed on it to clear the footpeg mounts as the current one fits close enough to have scuffed the powder coat.

Buy a modern blade type fuse box to replace the glass fuse one that's fitted & mount it to the underside of the top panel of the electrics box, under the seat. That panel's held by 3 dzus fasteners so it can be removed without tools, but the seat mounts need modifying slightly so it can be easily removed to get to the panel. If the wires to the fusebox are extended by a few inches, the panel can be taken off & flipped over to give easy access to the fuses. I'll probably fit a multi pin connector block to the fusebox too.

Cut away the lovingly made cross shaft arrangement for the rear brake, fabricated by my brother Steve, & replace it with an aftermarket Harley style master cylinder, which will fit directly behind the brake pedal with a short rod connected to a drop arm by a clevis. It'll require making new mounts & welding them to the frame. Much simpler & will have an integral reservoir, meaning I can remove the reservoir & pipework currently taking up space in the electrics box. Also means I can do away with the pedal return spring bracket under the frame, which is currently the lowest point & turns running the bike up a ramp into a van a 2 man job as it bottoms out & the bike has to be lifted part of the way. Remake the rear brake hose.

Cut the front face off the battery box & make up a new one that's removable -the idiot that designed the bike built it so that the battery can't be removed without taking the entire box out first, which has to come out from underneath the frame, involving jacking the bike up 6".

Modify the rear brake anchor arm. In it's current design the caliper could theoretically flip past the centre point under heavy braking & move around the disc. Making & welding on a new mount with a 2 bolt fixing would cure it.

Replace the rear indicators with aluminium ones. That'll require making & welding mounting tabs on the mudguard bracket to lift them clear of the exhaust. Then I'll need to find somewhere suitable to fit a reflector. I've got a pair of the current circular red glass ones, so could maybe weld a washer to either side of the mudguard mount for them to bolt through.

Nearly all the new parts will be powder-coated black & various sections of the frame will need rubbing down & spraying black.

So lots to do over the next few months, while also working on my truck.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 08:41:54 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1683 on: January 03, 2017, 08:42:19 PM »

Cut the front face off the battery box & make up a new one that's removable -the idiot that designed the bike built it so that the battery can't be removed without taking the entire box out first, which has to come out from underneath the frame, involving jacking the bike up 6".

The idiot that did some work on the Mini automatic trike I had for a while did the same, except that i couldn't see ANY way of getting the battery out without deconstructing half the trike - and he was a professional!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1684 on: January 03, 2017, 08:46:50 PM »

Cheesy Easily done -looks good while you're making it & doesn't occur to you till after it's fitted.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #1685 on: January 03, 2017, 11:08:07 PM »

I don't even know what a DVM is.  Tongue
Sat & looked at the bike for a while this afternoon. I've got quite a long To Do list now, which will involve a bit of fabrication & at least one more trip in a van with the bike to someone who can do a spot of welding for me.
So, starting at the front:

Pull the clutch apart & go through it all again. Everything's new, but the lever's far too stiff & the plates don't appear to be separating enough to disengage the drive.
Suggest you try soaking the plates and giving 'em a go before pulling the whole thing apart..........  Wink

I've bought another set of springs cos they were cheap, just in case the ones fitted are super duper heavy duty ones, but it might be down to changing the lever for more leverage or something. Has to be fixed or I won't be riding anywhere.
Before fitting the new springs, try removing 3 existing alternate springs and test the action - that way you'll get an idea of how the other components are working. It shouldn't happen as the torque setting for the springs doesn't further compress the springs, but have a look just in case (for some weird reason) they're getting coil-bound. Again, it shouldn't happen, but check the basket isn't touching the engine cover.

Sort out the charging system. I've got a new set of alternator brushes on their way from the States. That might be all it is, but if not I'll buy another alternator or rectifier if I have to -again, it's going nowhere if that ain't fixed.
another (replacement) alternator prob won't be cheap, unless it's 40 odd years old, and they are a 'weak' point of the XS, so maybe have another ponder on the PMA?  Roll Eyes

Buy a modern blade type fuse box to replace the glass fuse one that's fitted & mount it to the underside of the top panel of the electrics box, under the seat. That panel's held by 3 dzus fasteners so it can be removed without tools, but the seat mounts need modifying slightly so it can be easily removed to get to the panel. If the wires to the fusebox are extended by a few inches, the panel can be taken off & flipped over to give easy access to the fuses. I'll probably fit a multi pin connector block to the fusebox too.
  Poss supplier of wiring goodies http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/

IF you should go down the PMA route, not having a battery could be an option...

Looks like you've got yourself some work ahead, but it'll be worth it......... just think of the sunshine in a few months...... Cool

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #1686 on: January 03, 2017, 11:23:28 PM »

Sounds like my brothers chop? Only been making lists and redoing things for past 10 years ?  You may have to decide which one you want finished first ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
hunter

« Reply #1687 on: January 04, 2017, 02:23:22 PM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262580372263?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The smallest i could find,You could split it down it's length take a piece out and squeeze it up.

I
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1688 on: January 04, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »

Re Baffles - this may not be stainless, but a 2-stroke baffle (with/without wadding) could be a starting/inspiration point? Just don't need all the back pressure........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uni-Baffle-28mm-33cm-Long-To-fit-2-Stroke-Exhaust-/282026267730?hash=item41aa135452:g:kTIAAOSwNphWXvUj

Same chap Hunter found, a slightly smaller dia
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32-7mm-1-28-Inch-T304-Half-Meter-Perforated-Stainless-Tube-Pipe-Exhaust-silencer-/262580342881?hash=item3d23021061:g:tvIAAOSw-itXsxGH

If you know anyone with sheet-metal rollers, they may be able to roll perforated sheet to a suitable dia......

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Bus Boy

« Reply #1689 on: January 04, 2017, 06:12:43 PM »

You could always get hold of correct size stainless tube and DRILL some holes in it!!! Always works for me. Grin

I never wanted to be normal anyways!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1690 on: January 04, 2017, 06:14:28 PM »

That's an awful lot of holes!
Hmm, my pipes are 1 5/8" diameter I think, (Have to check cos I can't remember), which is about 41mm. So I'd be looking for perforated tube of around 20mm. If I used 35mm with a single layer of exhaust wadding around it & make them as long as I could fit in the pipes, (3 feet maybe), would they make much difference to the decibel level? I don't really want to introduce excessive back pressure by reducing the bore size too much. Slit the tube & squeeze it up to about 30?
I assume those 2 stroke ones are 28mm collar size, so the perforated tube would be 20mm or less?

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1691 on: January 04, 2017, 07:48:08 PM »

Maybe its the phraseology that's at fault! how about".....and ongoing, continuous, development!". Cheesy

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1692 on: January 04, 2017, 08:17:33 PM »

A journey of discovery  Smiley

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1693 on: January 04, 2017, 09:47:02 PM »

You could always get hold of correct size stainless tube and DRILL some holes in it!!! Always works for me. Grin

You ever met Stinkey?  He likes holes too!

hunter

« Reply #1694 on: January 04, 2017, 10:26:51 PM »

You could probably build them without wadding.

I
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: