May 20, 2024, 12:39:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554674 times)
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #585 on: March 02, 2014, 01:24:51 PM »

if you cut the downtubes and bend the backbone tube at the seat
the add 2 slugs of identical dimensions to the backbones
the bike can be raked without even removing the engine as the identical slugs will line up everything
looking for a write up on it but cant find

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Olds

« Reply #586 on: March 03, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »

Think Chewie means add the slugs to the down tubes.
 Do folk still do that in the land down under?  Not seen that done since the 70s (and there are good reasons why).

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #587 on: March 03, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »

on the frame tubes not the fork tubes

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #588 on: March 03, 2014, 12:11:01 PM »

There are indeed good reasons Olds Shocked Shocked Shocked, which are probably obvious, so best not, eh......................Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #589 on: January 01, 2015, 08:05:16 PM »

Haven't posted anything here for a while, but the XS is still very much on the go.
Best Christmas pressie this year was this voucher from my big brother Mr Brock. After being made redundant last year he's finally gone into business as a welder/fabricator, building everything from tractor mudguards to drag cars. I couldn't normally afford his rates but you get what you pay for & he's definitely one of the best. He's rushing to get his own race car ready for the coming season at the moment, so I won't be redeeming this just yet, but will spend a day at his Wiltshire workshop as soon as he's free, re-raking the headstock & as many other jobs as we can do. Thanks bro  Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #590 on: January 01, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »

I've had a change of mind on the colour since I last posted too -much cheaper to do before the paint's bought. Instead of golden brown with the name "The Coca Cola Kid", I'm going with the same pale green as my truck & "Junkyard Frog", (the title I wanted for the truck but it'd clash with all the Manky logos).
I've been saying for a long time now that these will be my last builds cos I just want to get out & enjoy what I've got. So I think it'll be cool to have a matched pair, truck & bike, (yes, I have thought about building a custom bike trailer to tow behind the Pop). So black frame with pale green tank & side panels. Both vehicles use the same handmade ribbed ali' mudguards so the bike ones will be black to match the truck's. The bike carbs have limited edition finned ali' tops, similar to the rocker covers on the Pop engine & I'll use the same green cloth braided HT leads. I've also just picked up some green plastic fuel pipe which I'll use on both vehicles.
Instead of painting the name on the tank I plan to have it engraved on the engine casings & they're already in Spain, awaiting the attention of a very talented metal artist called Tony Reynolds.
So nothing new to show, but things are slowly moving forward.
Something like this.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:21:01 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #591 on: January 02, 2015, 02:16:45 PM »

Love the idea of matching vehicles!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
the coppersmith

« Reply #592 on: January 03, 2015, 12:06:49 PM »

Like the play on words "meaner then a junkyard dog". Like the bikes. Just got the Vmax running, not very well, and now found that the back end is, um, loose.
kapri

« Reply #593 on: January 03, 2015, 02:03:58 PM »

I also seem to have ended up with a matching truck and trike but not by design as both are a colour I would never chose to paint a vehicle.
Olds

« Reply #594 on: January 03, 2015, 03:34:53 PM »

I plan to have it engraved on the engine casings & they're already in Spain, awaiting the attention of a very talented metal artist called Tony Reynolds.

Seen some of his work and it's good. Sorry I lied, it's not good, it's REALLY GOOD.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:23:12 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #595 on: January 14, 2015, 09:27:59 AM »

So I think it'll be cool to have a matched pair, truck & bike, (yes, I have thought about building a custom bike trailer to tow behind the Pop). So black frame with pale green tank & side panels. Both vehicles use the same handmade ribbed ali' mudguards so the bike ones will be black to match the truck's.

Bit like this then...............  Grin

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
merv

« Reply #596 on: January 14, 2015, 04:24:45 PM »

Oooooh I like that

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #597 on: January 14, 2015, 04:55:28 PM »

Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #598 on: February 27, 2015, 08:58:18 PM »

I've been on Tony the engraver's waiting list for a while, but looks like my engine casings have reached the top of the To Do pile.
Tony's an English old school biker who lives in Spain with his wife & churns out some gorgeous work at a phenomenal rate. All done with nothing more than a hammer & chisel.
My brother, Mr Brock, TIG welded up the Yamaha lettering on the aluminium cases for me, but the alternator cover had a lot of impurities in it, so didn't weld too well. Tony's got a mate in Yorkshire though, who machined up a batch of thicker replacement covers. So this is my lefthand casing with a new circular alternator cover, hand engraved by Tony.

kapri

« Reply #599 on: February 27, 2015, 08:59:50 PM »

WOW!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: