May 18, 2024, 11:08:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565249 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6105 on: May 19, 2013, 09:55:49 PM »

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6106 on: May 19, 2013, 09:57:26 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6107 on: May 19, 2013, 09:58:43 PM »

poprodder

« Reply #6108 on: May 19, 2013, 10:01:27 PM »

theres some bird in your motor!!!!!
glad to see you enjoying it at last.

spanners

« Reply #6109 on: May 19, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »

its not only a hotrod ,,, but a ,babe, magnet,, Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6110 on: May 19, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »

Yeah, you turn your back for 5 minutes...
She was rubbish at carb tuning.
Chris J, member of the Victory Wheelers who organise the Hayling show, occasional forum visitor & free lance photografist, collared me as I parked up & asked if his modelle could perch in my pick-up. Sure, just slam the door when you're done.
I'm sure there's breakdowns & cursin' to come, but for now I'm enjoying the ride.   
Yeah, that's right Joe Public, in yer boring tin box, it's a hotrod baby.  Cool
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:40:40 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Olds

« Reply #6111 on: May 19, 2013, 10:47:42 PM »

I'm sure there's breakdowns & cursin' to come, but for now I'm enjoying the ride.   
 it's a hotrod baby.  Cool
Grin at last.  Cheesy

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #6112 on: May 19, 2013, 10:54:10 PM »

Yeah, that's right Joe Public, in yer boring tin box, it's a hotrod baby.  Cool

thats it!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:55:50 PM by triker_Chewie » Logged

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Baychimp

« Reply #6113 on: May 20, 2013, 11:04:58 PM »

Sound like you had a good time,nice to get a decent run under your belt.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6114 on: May 21, 2013, 09:57:50 AM »

Yeah, it was a good day.
Still not quite right though. It did about 16 miles to the gallon. Should be between 20 & 25. I'm still convinced it's revving too high for the speed it's travelling at, though without a working speedo at the moment, it's hard to tell just what speed or revs I'm actually doing.
Possible causes-
the gearbox kick-down cable isn't set up right at the moment. My fault. I made a bracket to hold the end of the outer cable on the carb & it's too far from the operating lever, meaning the box is probably changing up too early. It may also be holding the carb back from opening fully, so I'm not gettng full throttle travel. It might not actually be changing up into 3rd, although it's making the right noises, as the cable may be running out of travel before it properly engages. That would make sense cos it feels like it needs an extra gear -& I'm fully expecting any faults to be the result of my own incompetance!
The rear axle diff gearing may be too low. It's a 2 litre Sherpa van axle. Commercial axles are low geared to give lots of pulling power & not much top speed. The tall rear tyres should compensate for that, but it's a bit hit & miss. We haven't worked it out on paper, just built it with what we had. There are different diff ratios available, but Sherpa axles are getting harder to find & it'd need to be the right one. I don't know if they're just a straight swap into the casing we've got. Kev says most of them are great for acceleration but cr*p for cruising. There should be a tag bolted to the axle with it's ratio stamped on it, but I don't remember seeing one. The Leyland/Rover factory fitted some of the Sherpas with Rover V8s, but they were for off road use, so even that axle may be too low geared.
It drives fine, but dual carriageway/motorway use seemed a little hard work -you wouldn't want to drive hundreds of miles in it at the revs it feels to be doing. Just down to some fine tuning & experimenting now really.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6115 on: May 22, 2013, 08:07:52 PM »

Opened the bonnet this afternoon to find the choke was partly on. Although the dashboard knob was pushed in, the cable had bowed at the carb end, as the operating arm moved. No idea how long it had been on. Presumably it had just vibrated on while driving, although it drove fine. Might explain the high fuel consumption. So I spent the little time I had at the workshop today making a bracket & sorting out a spring, then drilling & tapping a spare lug on the inlet manifold, to produce a return spring attached to the operating arm. The choke's supposed to have a rigid copper rod, rather than a cable, but I needed some bendiness in it to route it around the space behind the dash.
Mr Baychimp, (my workmate Bob), has suggested going to the Chelsea Cruise in London in the Pop on Saturday evening, so just checking everything over & trying to make sure it's still roadworthy. Hope to make the new kick-down cable mount tomorrow.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6116 on: May 23, 2013, 07:59:11 PM »

Finished the choke return spring fitting & it appears to work. Made a start on the new kick-down cable mount, but got rained off, (the Pop now lives outside). Got to get it made & fitted tomorrow so I can drive it & see if it works, before heading to London on Saturday.

hunter

« Reply #6117 on: May 23, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »

Your turning out to be a right grease Monkey.

I
poprodder

« Reply #6118 on: May 23, 2013, 08:53:27 PM »

going to the big smoke hey...................cruising kings road!!!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6119 on: May 23, 2013, 10:38:22 PM »

Cheesy
Aye, tis the Chelsea Cruise, (last Saturday of the month).
May not be as busy as last month's as that was touted everywhere on the 'net as a 70s revival meet, but hopefully it inspired a few to get back out there, (including me!).
The Chelsea Flower Show's on at the moment at Chelsea Barracks, on the Embankment. I've got a feeling it finishes on Saturday evening though. So the roads around the area will probably be swarming with tradesmen's vans as they pack up.
I want to make sure the kick-down cable's working O.K before I head up there, so need to test drive it tomorrow afternoon or Saturday afternoon.
Hadn't planned on doing Chelsea but my workmate Mr Baychimp was keen to go again, (he came with me last month), so why not.

Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: