May 07, 2024, 06:09:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 wheeler, but not as we know it, Jim!  (Read 69983 times)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2014, 08:06:09 PM »

There are various routes to electrical reversing 3 wheelers, and a starter motor drive to the prop. shaft is one, but it will require comprehensive electrical interlocking, to ensure the engine drive is in neutral. A form of "soft start" would be useful, along with a dog clutch arrangement to disengage the electrical drive, when moving forward under its own "steam", now steam, there's a thought!! Grin, I digress. Conventional ring-gear/starter motor pinion sizing would be too bulky for my requirements, so I'm considering 'bike starter motor, driving the 3 piece prop. shaft via a Gillmer,( toothed timing type belt) Belt, with a dog clutch to engage/disengage, wand a solid state 'soft start' control.to make the whole set up manageable. Well that the rough concept,so far! and that's assuming I bother at all!  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh..Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
minimutly

« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2014, 09:12:49 PM »

Mmm, electrical interlock could be done by neutral switch and clutch, that should cover it. Not sure how you'do a soft start with dc, would probably be similar to forklift (thyristor and comutating capacitor from dim memory). Would it need it anyway? Intermittent  switching would be my choice for starters. Oops, awful pun..
The engagement issue would be solved by use of a pre engaged starter. I'm tempted to try it I must say.
All the best,
Huw
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2014, 09:50:32 PM »

...or get out & push.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2014, 10:04:22 PM »

...or get out & push.
Keeps it simple and simple works.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2014, 11:28:07 PM »

Like rowlocks maybe!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin...not you Huw, what you wrote made for interesting reading and shall be entered into the equation!!   Morrag

spanners

« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2014, 11:31:14 PM »

motability scooter motor and switch gear and friction drive rubber wheel Huh Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2014, 12:44:58 AM »

That's another interesting possibility,Mike, so if I can locate the motability scooter info & then "bits" it could be a promising alternative....Mmmmmmmm, cheers for that Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided, Morrag

spanners

« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2014, 01:24:38 AM »

That's another interesting possibility,Mike, so if I can locate the motability scooter info & then "bits" it could be a promising alternative....Mmmmmmmm, cheers for that Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided, Morrag
got one here  hardly used (mother in-laws) but batt n, charger have been nicked  n, its 24v main feed but it will run n, move on 12v so its got the power especially if geared down ,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »

Mike, I'll send you a PM regarding that, OK, Morrag

Gaz

« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2014, 02:12:58 PM »

I've got a mobility scooter motor thats going in my project, easy to use.

Interesting design Morrag ;-)

When all about you are losing their heads, it's time to stop swinging the axe!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2014, 06:31:58 PM »

Can you post a few pics of what you have in the way of that mobility scooter drive Gaz?  Morrag

Gaz

« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2014, 09:31:41 PM »

Can you post a few pics of what you have in the way of that mobility scooter drive Gaz?  Morrag

Be Monday , will be in the shed again then.

Gaz

« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »

Sorry Morrag, will be in the shed tomorrow and I'll grab some pictures

Been one of those weeks :-/

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2014, 11:26:36 PM »

No probs Gaz, when the mood takes you!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »

Things have been a might slow of late, what with Xmas and all, plus the sort of weather that most deffo. feeds my SAD syndrome, anyway, I have now finished the brakes!! see pics. I'm using Landrover 2 master cylinder and brake flexible hoses, copper brake lines, and brass "T" pieces, ex-Spitfire, from an excellent company in N.I.The rear brake is a modified Honda GL backplate, that now provides a handbrake, and an externally operated hydraulic footbrake, using a BL type "Mini" slave cylinder.  More to come....................Morrag

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: