May 14, 2024, 06:26:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: Kawasaki 750 hard tail (was rear end ratios)  (Read 121036 times)
minimutly

« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2014, 08:25:15 PM »

Using the reliant drums would have been a whole lot easier, but where's the fun in that?
Huw
minimutly

« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2014, 09:35:14 PM »

Some progress to report.
I finally got my exhaust made up. Front end is motad chrome, cut off after the collector, with a stainless section (from a 16v vauxhall manifold) welded on, bolted to a nexus ally straight through box. pics to follow, but the best thing is I fired her up for the first time in months. Firstly I thought crikey, it's leaking like a sieve, then I realised I hadn't put in a lambda sensor...
After fitting said sensor, and some tightening of header bolts, it stopped leaking. And after warming her up I must say she sounded awesome, much better than when on 4 individual pipes with attenuators.
Mixture is terribly weak, so carbs are to come off to clean and raise the needles, then we'll see what the lambda says on the road....
Brake pipes next, then handbrake. Then I'll have to get back to the rear bumper and some tig welding.
Happy bunny me.
Huw
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2014, 09:54:29 PM »

Well done you Huw.
A Lambada sensor? You don't like dancing then?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Plasticpig

« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2014, 10:15:15 PM »

Huw.

I just read this thread properly, and must say that I have only just come back to Mankey's after a break.

I am in Ely, Cardiff, and if you are anywhere close, give us a shout.
hunter

« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2014, 10:35:56 PM »

I'm going to guess that he's in or near swansea.

I
minimutly

« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2014, 04:17:49 PM »

Nooo, an hour west of Swansea...
Be good to meet up, better still if I have something to show. Sadly it's all taking far longer than it should..
All the best,
Huw
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2014, 05:39:27 PM »

You'll be in the sea then! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy........Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Plasticpig

« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2014, 08:40:50 PM »

I used to live in Haverfordwest until 1999.

Don't worry about the ride. I have been building stuff for twenty years, and still don't have a trike.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2014, 09:59:54 PM »

I'll be down in Harry-West tomorrow, one of my brothers lives there........Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
minimutly

« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2014, 10:10:29 PM »

'Arfud, as the locals call it. I'm around 30 mins north, on the edge of the Preseli hills.
On the jetting subject, anyone care to recommend a uk online sales outlet for Keiheins?
Thanks,
Huw
hunter

« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2014, 11:56:29 PM »

Here you go.
http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/

I
minimutly

« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2014, 05:55:43 PM »

Thanks, had found them, always good to have a recommendation.
Need to strip mine to see what I have, there were cheapo k&ns on there, but of course the exhaust has been changed since then.
All the best,
Huw
minimutly

« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2014, 10:53:40 PM »

Progress report.
Piped up the rear brakes, took a while but managed to bleed them, eventually. Pedal is good, we'll see what they're like on the road once run in, but since it's all mini with .75 slaves it should be OK.
Now the exhaust is fitted it's shown up a problem. Chassis stiffness, or lack of it!
When I lean on the handlebars the front end is flexing relative to the back end, this is shown up by the back of the exhaust moving relative to the axle, not by much, but it's visible. bo****ks!
There is only a limited amount I can do about it, but since the airbox is gone I can weld in a set of diagonals under the seat. the engine is in the hole under the tank  Cry
There may be a possibility for bracing behind the exhaust headers, but it's tight and I'll have to remove the exhaust to do it. Solid mounting the engine is a possibility I suppose, but does anyone have experience of the kawasaki gt 750 in a solid frame?
Also I've noticed when I push on the handlebars only one front shock moves up and down, I would expect one to go down, the other to go up. So forks strip down on the cards then, jeez, it never ends....
Huw
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2014, 09:03:16 PM »

I love custom vehicles, don't you?!
My XS650 bike engine's solid mounted. Most 70's/80s bike engines were. The XS is a pretty lumpy ol' twin &, apart from the need to have a head steadying bracket, like the standard bike, I've never had problems with them being solid mounted. All my Reliant trike engines were too. 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
minimutly

« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2014, 10:07:39 PM »

Update.
I've not solid mounted the engine yet, but i have braced the lower axle tubes with a pair of crossed diagonals, also braced the (extended) seat rails which now go back to the axle mount. As well as this I've put a diagonal behind the engine, and a new cross tube at the top, just under the tank mounts.
The only addition I can think of is a brace in front of the engine, behind the headers, perhaps, we'll see.
How did I decide where to put them? Easy, place a tube where you think it's needed, jamb one end hard into the corner and waggle the frame, if the free end moves, it needs a brace.
With all the mods, is it improved? Yes it feels much stiffer, I won't know how much until I refit the exhaust -that was my indicator. Also, before the work you could feel movement between the head and the frame, now it's negligible.
So what's next? We'll I plan to make some gussets, once fitted that's the main frame done, then the new back bumper, then I need to check some dodgy looking welding under the headstock....
Did I mention handbrake,carb jets, front wheel bearing, forks?
On the subject of carb jets, I've searched the web times over, but struggling to find any detail on the Keiheins I have fitted. It would seem they normally have 3 jets, but mine only have two. Haynes is suitably vague, and I can only fid references to later cvk's. Anyone know?
Huw
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: