May 04, 2024, 09:42:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ah the online auction sites  (Read 3149 times)
tbone

« on: April 23, 2006, 10:42:37 PM »

Through the wonderous well known online auction site called (is advertising allowed  Grin) e?. I have just bought 2 master cylinders for the princely sum of £29. Nice lookin slim design with plastic resevoirs, one for the XS850 and one for the next build, assuming they work lol

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 10:48:18 PM »

EvilBay? That's a bargain -I recently bought a pair of Girling units for my trike, (one for the brakes & one to hydraulically operate the clutch arm), for 45 quid each. Got some tiny little plastic reservoirs for a fiver each though from the Ally Pally bike show.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
tbone

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 10:54:54 PM »

Only a bargain if they work Grin. Some of this stuff can go for silly money now. Was holding out for a reliant unit but couldnt find one and i have to mount the cylinder before i think about routing the exhaust. Should tuck away somewere nicley i think.

tbone

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 10:56:53 PM »

hmmm just noticed the staples in the pic, wonder if i get them too ? Grin

baldyshinehead

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 10:57:54 PM »

they would be extra
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 11:00:00 PM »

Any idea what bore they are? Mine are 5/8" to operate all 3 trike brakes linked together on one pedal.

tbone

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 11:04:52 PM »

these are advertised as 3/4" am using the exsisting xs brake pedal, wich as you will know is quite long so my only concern is, are the back brakes gonna lock to easily. I didnt want the staples anyway, wud have only had to go back n buy a stapler lol

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 11:19:16 PM »

Never turn down a free staple!
Hmm, not sure about the locking up thing. Try it & see I guess. My usual concern's trying to get the damn things to stop, not trying to get them to stop slower!

tbone

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 11:25:32 PM »

i guess thats why you developed the disk brake conversion then? You owt to patent that one and sell it out in kit form.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 11:50:28 PM »

Yeah, my brother Steve keeps saying that! I got no brain for business. No brain at all really. I wrote a piece for 100% Biker about it, (it's here somewhere. In the Trike bit I think). I've heard of maybe a dozen people using it so at least I've helped a few trikes get sorted. The disc set up is all just standard car parts bolted to one flat steel plate so not really a kit as such. General consensus is the drums are just as efficient, but the discs look far better I think.

tbone

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 01:40:14 AM »

It is a better look, and one i may have a go at some time in the future Undecided

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 10:37:32 AM »

Yeah, go for it! Biggest problem on ours is not stopping the wheels turning but getting enough traction to stop the vehicle on the road. Not enough weight over the back end. Carrying a pillion everywhere you go would sort it out!

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 06:56:35 PM »

My trike uses the original Reliant drums and cylinder, and there's not all that much travel on the pedal but the back locks up quite quickly - first time I discovered that I nearly needed a change of clothing.  Ther I was tootling along this Cornish country lane when suddenly I go round a bend and the road goes sharply downhill and there are two horseriders coming towards me - instinct takes over and next thing I know I'm sliding down the gravelly road praying!

He was listening!  Phew!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 07:23:50 PM »

I hate that heart in mouth feeling! I know you should pump the brakes repeatedly to get traction rather than just stomp as hard as you can on the pedal -but in that moment of panic that's exactly what I always do!  Shocked

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 07:56:16 PM »

My first relaint trike was a softail with the original leaf springs 205 60 13 tyres and a remote servo.  Grin Stopped sooooooooo quickly. Problem was that it had so much grip and so much brake force that I twice broke the leaf springs  Shocked cos the axle would rotate in the event of an emergency stop. Created the strange effect of making the trike behave like a clowns car at the circus until you came to a halt.

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: