May 15, 2024, 03:22:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know about this Trike?  (Read 5854 times)
Clive

« on: May 10, 2016, 09:47:41 AM »

Anyone on here know anything about this trike? Or can see anything glaringly obvious that may steer 'someone' away from it? Cheesy

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/trike-850-/331852450051?nav=SEARCH
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:09:09 PM by Clive » Logged

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:55:27 AM »

Don't know it but yes there are a couple of things that are glaringly obvious - it doesn't say anything about having a V5 or whether it's registered as a trike, and it's almost certainly not entitled to the registration number it's wearing as the only Reliant thing about it is the engine and there's not much Harley either.

So to get it on the road you would have get it through MSVA, that will put lots of people off but they don't have the Manky Monkeys to help!

I can't comment on the general condition but I like the look of it - nice and simple!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 12:06:36 PM »

BG is correct. The number plate is the registration of a 1994 Reliant.
Don't recognise it as being one from the forum.
Looks like with a bit of work, OK a lot of work, it could be a good one (depending on welding etc). MSVA is not that bad so at the right price, allowing a couple of hundred to get it registered....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:16:38 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Clive

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 12:21:50 PM »

The fact it is not correctly registered was noted, and MSVA is a necessary evil, so not a drama (especially with the collective knowledge here), I was more thinking about anything that jumps out as 'build quality' etc

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
minimutly

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 12:24:25 AM »

Only way you'll know is to look closely at the frame, check the welds carefully, make sure the axle isnt bent, do the brakes work, is the engine and box ok, wiring?
It will need a handbrake on both back wheels (cue usual disagreements on this), hazard flashers, a way of immobilising it, illuminated speedo with idiot lights, reflectors on rear muddies as well as usuall lights.
What else can anyone think of?
spanners

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 12:39:11 AM »

buy a cx 500  and improve it

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 12:50:07 PM »

Speedos not mandatory on anything, but if fitted must work correctly,and be illuminated, and I never had an MOT problem with single rear wheel handbrakes, Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Olds

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »

Think we are talking MSVA not MOT.
So yes, speedometer is required (section 4)
For a three wheeled moped the parking brake must "act on at least one wheel"   (section 16-1)
For normal trike and quads, the wording is slightly different in that it has to have a parking brake that "acts on the wheels of at least one axle". (section 16-2)
From that one can assume, that if the parking brake is on the front of a motorcycle type trike or the back of a tadpole trike, then it can indeed act on a single wheel.

You may have guessed by now, that it is peeing down with rain and that I have nothing better to do at the moment. Cheesy

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 05:09:17 PM »

Grin Grin Grin.........................

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Clive

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 05:49:57 PM »

Having done some trawling around, this is out of my price range (having found it on Gumtree), so thanks everyone but this is one that will not be mine.

Mike, out my price range I'm afraid!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:52:32 PM by Clive » Logged

minimutly

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 11:28:43 PM »

Pardon me if I've read this incorrectly, but out of your price range at £500 odd? I would say it'll fetch a tad more if its as good as it looks msva or not. You won't get much worth bothering with for less imho, even building your own is likely to cost more to get it to that state.
Clive

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 05:45:13 AM »

No buddy, it's at that on eBay at the moment, but on Gumtree its 2500.

I expect building one to cost me, but I'd have built it, if you know what I mean

Olds

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 07:36:18 AM »

Looks like no reserve has been set on ebay, so I expect it will be withdrawn, but for under £900 it would probably be a good buy for the components.
Noticed that folk have asked if it's registered as a trike.
I have asked the seller a question though I don't expect it to be answered.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:38:26 AM by Olds » Logged

digger06

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 09:34:53 AM »

Speedos not mandatory on anything, but if fitted must work correctly,and be illuminated, and I never had an MOT problem with single rear wheel handbrakes, Morrag

was told at the garage last year speedo,s are becoming mandatory,,,,(I will check the car books when next down doing bike mot,s)
tbh,even if he was wrong, a speedo is a good idea, especially with the marked speed traps timing out, they are allowed to hide them again now, theres some on the m1 down south apparently, already
minimutly

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 05:23:56 PM »

At £2500 i'd probably pass on it as well Clive, especially needing msva.
There are cheaper ones about, but will need major work, usually.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: