May 16, 2024, 12:25:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone used disabled clause to register trike ?  (Read 7924 times)
kapri

« on: September 08, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »

If so can you tell me what is required to be accepted in the way of modifications for disabled use?  Also does it always remain disabled or when sold on can an able bodied person continue to use it? Not looking at this as a way round MSVA , genuine and pertinent question relative to me.
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 01:28:39 PM »

As far as Im aware, all that happens (apart from various forms/documents) is that the trike has a basic inspection by DVLA. This is to make sure" it is what it says on the tin". When trike is registered it will be in "disabled" taxation class and uses your DLA free road tax. Dont forget you can only use this on 1 vehicle at a time. At a later date you can apply to change taxation class to "Tricycle" when you can purchase a new tax disc.

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
Olds

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »

Strange as it seems Pete is right. Though I can't understand why there is an exemption in the first place.
As far as I know just being a trike would be enough of a modification, if for instance the rider was disabled by way of balance problems.
The modifications should really be person specific and relate to their disability

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 05:24:50 PM »

Not really relevant, but my XS650 Yamaha bike says Taxation Class -disabled on the logbook. I'm told I can change this at my local Post Office when I re-tax it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
kapri

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »

Strange as it seems Pete is right. Though I can't understand why there is an exemption in the first place.
As far as I know just being a trike would be enough of a modification, if for instance the rider was disabled by way of balance problems.
The modifications should really be person specific and relate to their disability

There used to be an exemption from some of SVA /BIVA for vehicles registered as disabled. It got abused so was stopped.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:52:29 PM »

The NABD (National Association for Bikers with a Disability) negotiated an exemption from MSVA (or whatever the latest name is) for trikes built for disabled people.  As far as I know this is still in place.  For further info it's probably best to talk to the NABD

http://www.nabd.org.uk/contact/index.htm

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
MIXA

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 11:58:02 PM »

Sorry MM you can change from PLG to Disabled at post office but to change from Disabled to PLG this has to be done at local DVLA office , have this trouble when i sell as mine are always disabled use  and peps dont want the hasle so have to change them back before sale

Olds

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 07:00:04 AM »

Sorry MM you can change from PLG to Disabled at post office but to change from Disabled to PLG this has to be done at local DVLA office  

Correct, at the moment. DVLA information sheet. INF224
Yet another thing you wont be able to do once they close the DVLA LOs
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:03:33 AM by Old Newbie » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
kapri

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »

Don't worry though, the whole reason for shutting the LOs is to make it all MORE efficient...yeah right! Roll Eyes
kapri

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 07:32:19 AM »

The NABD (National Association for Bikers with a Disability) negotiated an exemption from MSVA (or whatever the latest name is) for trikes built for disabled people.  As far as I know this is still in place.  For further info it's probably best to talk to the NABD

http://www.nabd.org.uk/contact/index.htm

Thanks BG, had a look on their site and couldn't see anything about it so am going to give them a mail shortly.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »

Yeah sorry, I couldn't find it either, I should have said - that's why I said talk to them!  Email is best then someone will probably phone you or email.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 02:24:31 PM »

I'm planning on re-registering my bike anyway, so not a problem really.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
kapri

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 03:12:57 PM »

So mailed NABD 11 days ago , no reply . Guess it's because I'm not a disabled biker but disabled and wanting to be a biker..oh well.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 08:53:07 PM »

Not sure if they have any paid office staff at present and they may have been a bit busy with a couple of events.  They certainly don't discriminate between those who are already bikers (or trikers) and those who aren't, in fact they have adapted bikes for learners to borrow.  They did try this with trikes but it didn't really work.

Did you email a particular person, or NABD in general?  I may be able to find out who's the best person to contact as although I'm no longer a rep I still know some NABD people.

kapri

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 07:34:47 AM »

I understand they are volunteers BG so wasn't expecting an instant reply Smiley I contacted whoever was listed as dealing with adaptations on their website?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: