May 10, 2024, 11:22:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Z1 Timing  (Read 8866 times)
voodoo

« on: September 22, 2009, 04:39:32 AM »

Morning all....after having the top end re-build and sticking on the new bowyer ignition the bike runs like a sack of s**te....I have only managed to start it on full choke,but as far as I am aware the carbs are all good but I tried to take it out for a test ride yesterday and managed to get about a mile before it died on me......after about 45 mins of it not wanting to start and run again I called out the RAC to get me home...he had a look at it and had exactly the same problems with it and told me its a timing issue,even though he spent all that time playing with it he could only get it to fire up and run full choke a nd loads of revs or it would just die out....got it running enough to limp home at around 5k revs and have stuck it back under its cover......Just to be safe and cover all bases I got Toad going to pick up and check my carbs over and make sure they are set up properly in the next couple of weeks but I have got to get this bloody timing sorted as its driving me mad...ive never had so much grief from timing on anything ive ever owned b4...going to go through all of the instructions ect for that ignition and check it all out soon as its light out........Oh well moan over lol....have a good day all....Voodoo....

Custom Paint Spraying...
English by Birth..Biker by choice....
Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional....
toad

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 05:05:45 AM »

this just a hyperthetcal thought is the advance retard unit behind the back plate the correct one for the bike? otherwise that would give a false timing mark. but im almost 100% certain its the carbs will have alook over the weekend might be worth swapping over to your old unit again.

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
voodoo

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 06:42:42 AM »

Always worth a try mate......Voodoo...

Custom Paint Spraying...
voodoo

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »

Finally decided to try and get the Z back on the road before stripping everything for winter rechroming etc.....Before I parked it up I could get it to fire up and run but rough as hell...now it wont even fire up?? gggrrrrr time to start again with timing and finally get those carbs stripped and rebuilt....Voodoo.....
Oh and I still need to get another rear brake master cylinder etc as one on it is F****D and I like to be able to stop!!

Custom Paint Spraying...
toad

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »

will pop down sunday i,ve just had a thought Wink

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
voodoo

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 08:11:55 PM »

Lucky you ive not had a decent one of those for an age lol....c ya then mate....Voodoo....

Custom Paint Spraying...
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 08:14:08 PM »

Oh and I still need to get another rear brake master cylinder etc as one on it is F****D and I like to be able to stop!!

Ive got the rear master cylinder from the gs850 if its any good to you?

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
gsxrsam

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 09:24:19 PM »

im sure you havent, but ive seen people put cams in wrong side before.... Shocked

does sound like a carb prob.. can u not borrow some just so u can eliminate???

i have decided to live forever or die trying
Clive

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 09:32:02 PM »

I've got one from a Z550 if thats any good?

Clive

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
voodoo

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 09:45:35 PM »

Thanks for input all...Carbs are now back on the bike and fueltank is flushed through..tomorrow i will nip down with a can and grab some fresh petrol.......Then fingers crossed it should all be running again....
I will have to measure between the bolt holes on my cylinder and give you a shout with the size Clive....Voodoo....

Custom Paint Spraying...
Clive

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 07:13:26 AM »

Okay buddy. Just measured these and they're 48mm, centre to centre!

Clive

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
phill cbx

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 11:45:18 PM »

Hello mate,
i have a KAWASAKI z1000r2 eddie lawson replica, genuine R2, and i had a simliar problem and the symtons sounds like to much air or not enough fuel, also check the petrol tank breather in the top of the cap, because if air cant get into the tank the petrol cant get out, tha tank has to breath, i ve had that problem before,
anyway i stripped my z1000r2 carbs 7 times, and they looked quite clean to start off with but amazing what is in the small tubes,
good luck mate
Regards Phill
gsxrsam

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 07:33:22 AM »

sonic cleaning is only guarantee there properly clean, any varnish on carbs will hamper good running motor..

i have decided to live forever or die trying
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 01:45:47 PM »

Does it have a vacuum fuel tap?  Are the pipes ok (not drawing air?).  I had a similar problem with my GT, got a vacuum tap repair kit from NRP Carbs which sorted it.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
voodoo

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 04:08:40 AM »

Got it all back together..stuck in fresh petrol....managed to get it started after a few mins......let it warm up (about 10 mins on full choke) started to reduce the choke and it died.....pulled out choke..started it up and left it another 10 mins..pushed in choke and yet again Dead.........Gave it a few more goes trying to reduce choke a little at a time and the second I reduce the choke by any amount it dies??  Oh well at least it looksgood parked up lol...Voodoo.....
Oh Clive ive not had a chance to take the tap off GS tank yet to measure,will do in next couple of days....

Custom Paint Spraying...
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: