May 09, 2024, 10:31:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yamaha YDIS carb issues. Starting.  (Read 2675 times)
The North

« on: June 03, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »

I Have a 1996 Yam XT600E. It is 11000 miles, been looked after from what i can tell, but my mate who sold me it was well fed up with what he described as  poor starting Huh
   I went around and it seemed to start fine no issues at all apart from needed choke a longish time, i just put it down to it being a cold old thing and advised leaving alone, and let things develop for good or bad.
    But he being a bit of a perfectionist, enlisted the help of a local to him bike guru who waved a wrench or two at the Yamaha and it came back apparently sorted..
   A short time lapsed, and my mate was back on the phone bemoaning the XTs starting shortfalls, and quote, it is worse now than it was before. He announced it was for sale and i snatched it up for what i consider a bargain price.
    Now this bike refused to start at all on the button, i sprayed some wd 40 around the carb area as i cranked it over it fired and coughed in to life and ran quite smooth if apparently lacking power.  Then one dark night it got stolen out the workshop, it was traced and recovered in a very short time by the police too which was a pleasant surprise.  ign lock bust out and a few scuffs and engine case scrapes. The good thing i knew the idiots never got it started, i suppose a good aspect to a poorly bike. Roll Eyes
    Now new ign lock obtained and it is time to start and hopefully sort out this bikes issues, Have any on here any knowledge of the Yamaha YDIS system of carburation this is i feel where the problem lays but i am open to any advice at all where to start. .
    Any advice please .

digger06

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »

yes, its a pain in the arse, it has to be spot on to run right, buy a manual and carefully check/set everything;
check the inlet rubbers very carefully for cracks/leaks and dont mess with the airfilter /inlet rubbers side unless your very patient,

check the compression on the motor too as this exaggerates  probs with this set up
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:08:55 PM by digger06 » Logged
The North

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:13:49 PM »

I located a manual online, it shows the carbs etc, i will strip it and have a go at it see if i can solve the problem, if not i may ty and fit a y piece inlet and a big carb maybe even an SU or perhaps a pair of carbs od some type.
digger06

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:46:56 AM »

the honda twin carb set up is very good, never seen one fitted on your model though
The North

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »

Any pointers as to where i may find out what carbs to use for a twin carb set up. mikunis KKs or whatever ?
 Any web pages or sites etc you know of.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: