May 19, 2024, 10:40:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1566002 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5985 on: April 16, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »

No-o-o!! Don't tell me that!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5986 on: April 16, 2013, 02:06:49 PM »

Just spoken to a very Welsh DVLA chappie. All details now correctly listed, (change of body style, change of address & change of colour), & the registration document went in the post to me yesterday. Fingers crossed then.

Olds

« Reply #5987 on: April 16, 2013, 03:27:05 PM »

Well that's better news than spanners had when he phoned Swansea today.
With luck you might get it back tomorrow.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5988 on: April 16, 2013, 07:51:50 PM »

Yeah, not sure what to suggest for Mr Spanners. Mine was just a change of details on a freshly registered vehicle.
I gave the DVLA guy my registration number & there was a pause at the other end of the phone -
Erm, what model is that Mr Field?
A MankyMobile.
...really?! I thought that was a mistake on my computer!  Cheesy

Got to the workshop late in the day today after running a few errands first. So I did a little metal bashing, working on the sill panel to go under the driver's door. Then I took it out for a spin to the local petrol station to fill her up. Didn't go too bad, though it's noisy & bumpy in the cab & without the speedo hooked up yet, it's hard to gauge the performance. A little spitting back through the pipes going up the hill outside the workshop, but I think the spark plugs need a good scrub, which'll probably help. Although it's noisy inside, outside it sounds suprisingly sedate, so didn't raise as many eyebrows in the evening rush hour as I'd hoped.  Smiley A little hiccupy, due to the plugs I think & the brakes still feel like they need bleeding, but it went pretty well & didn't leave me stranded at the roadside, which is a bonus. No oil warning light issues today either. Getting more confident with it now.
Chris's V8 Moggy Minor enjoying some evening sun with t' Pop. You can tell mine's running in this pic by the puddle of sooty condensation under the tail pipes.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:09:47 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #5989 on: April 16, 2013, 09:12:12 PM »

If you've a smart phone you can get a GPS download speedo for the moment .Otherwise is there a tacho in there, can't remember. Eay way is to work outmph per 1000rpm and use that as speedo while you get th real one sorted.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5990 on: April 16, 2013, 09:18:51 PM »

Nope, no tacho either!
Planning a little lunchtime jaunt to a local American style diner tomorrow, (my day off). If Mr Loon's free, he has a GPS speedo app' on his phone, (my phone's not very smart, like me). At least that'll give us some idea of how it should feel at certain speeds.

kapri

« Reply #5991 on: April 16, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »

There's a local highways provided speedo tester up on the main road by the workshop Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5992 on: April 16, 2013, 09:30:51 PM »

Grin Yeah, I'll just keep driving past it faster & faster till the camera flashes.
Actually, I don't think that one's working cos I've never seen it go off & I've been through at all sorts of speeds -don't think I'll tempt fate too much though.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5993 on: April 17, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »

My day off today & I had a few more errands to do in the morning, so it was lunchtime before I got to the workshop.
I really need some bits & pieces welding in place now, but Mr Loon was busy masking & primering a customer's car, so I pulled the spark plugs & gave 'em a clean. Not looking too bad colour wise, so the mixture must be more or less right.
A little oil collecting in a couple of the plug recesses. I'm assuming it's weeping from the rocker covers. Tweaked them up a tad.
Oil laying at the back of the valley gasket. I've already taken the clamp off the back edge & squirted some sealant around it. May have to try some more. The dipstick's showing slightly above the full mark, so maybe just finding it's own level.
Radiator level's fine.
I repositioned the bracket that holds the kickdown cable outer sleeve, to give me more adjustment. That altered the tickover so I wound it back down a touch.
All seemed well, so time for a little drive.
As we look out of the workshop door, we can see the A339 Basingstoke to Newbury road, running along the horizon. I've lived in either Basingstoke or Newbury for most of my life so know the road well. It's been my test track for most of the vehicles I've built over the years. About 7 or 8 miles away is Kingsclere, where there's an American style roadside restaurant called Nelson's Diner, (named after a donkey that lived in the field before they built it -mine of utterly useless info, me). I grabbed a spare fuel can & checked my breakdown recovery card -just in case, then headed for the diner.
A fairly uneventful journey. Throttle response isn't right. When I put my foot down there's a flat spot, a hesitation. Like it's kinda gasping for breath before accelerating. I found myself stomping on the pedal, then pumping again before it picked up. Bigger carb jets needed? The brakes definitely need re bleeding. Same thing- first stomp, halfway to the floor. Second push, fine. So I was double pumping both pedals.
Steering's heavy & the huge turning circle's a pain but I'll get used to it.
Pulled into the diner.
The manager came out
Mind if I take a photograph?
No. Mind if I park sideways across 3 parking spaces? I can't turn tight enough to get into 1.
I slurped a banana milkshake -try one of our 30 flavours, including Mars Bar, bakewell tart, jelly baby or whisky -& ordered a full fried breakfast.
I texted Loon to let him know I'd got there in one piece
-hang on, I'll nip over & join you.
As I finished my meal & ordered another 'shake he pulled in with his Mum. A maple syrup shake & a Snickers one, plus another banana please.
Only a small diner, but the food's great with huge portions. A Nevada burger for Loon, potato wedges for Mum. The truck looks good parked outside.  Smiley   
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:57:21 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5994 on: April 17, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5995 on: April 17, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »

Loony hadn't seen the Pop out on the road before, (he was driving when we went to the Wheelsday show a few weeks ago). So he followed me back.
Inside the cab it's noisy, rattly & bumpy, with the smell of hot oil -kinda like pilotting a Lancaster bomber! Outside though, you don't get that as you're following. It looks a lot smoother & more controlled. Loon says I out accelerated his old diesel VW Golf from the diner & was sitting at a steady 50mph or so in the traffic on the way back, winding up to around 65 as I turned off the main road & onto the long straight lane across the fields to the 'shop. There's a sharp S bend at the end & as I hit the brakes the offside front caliper started to squeak. Did the same thing at the same point last night. Closer inspection showed something's rubbed the outside edge of the disc. The caliper sits very tight to it, so maybe just grit thrown up off the road, or maybe the caliper mount flexing slightly? Easiest fix would be to bung the discs on the lathe & take 5mm off the diameter.
Verdict? It's hard work to drive & will be seriously tiring on a long run, (I'm thinking the Pendine Sands speed trials in Wales in a couple of months time), but some sound proofing, upholstered door panels, carpets etc, would quieten it down inside. Glass in the doors would be nice too.
I'm still not convinced the motor's running as smooth as it should, but that's just a matter of adjustment I guess. Phunkie wound the fuel regulator valve down from 5 1/2 to 3 when he fitted the ignition kit the other day. I've turned it back up half a notch to see if it helps. If I have to, I'll pay out for some time on a rolling road for a definitive answer.
But, more importantly -it's fun!! 
Some on-the-road shots, courtesy of Loony's Mum.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:23:20 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5996 on: April 17, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5997 on: April 17, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5998 on: April 17, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5999 on: April 17, 2013, 08:05:18 PM »

Finally, proof that I do drive it!
A Monkey in his natural habitat -at the wheel of a hotrod. 

Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: