May 09, 2024, 02:49:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Angle grinder  (Read 2099 times)
klogan45

« on: February 29, 2016, 07:11:28 PM »

So......... had the big angle grinder out a couple of days ago all was well until I had to change the disc.
The flippin thing would not come off. The c spanner bent and the jaws of the spanner that I had on the back, clamped in the vice, snapped.
So....... I had to break it ft the disc, take off the guard, undo the 4 screws that hold the drive gear, put the shaft in the vice. I welded the c spanner to a nice chunk of 25mm box section and was then able to undo the retaining nut thing.
Can anyone tell me why the disc was on so tight. When I put the disc on I only tighten finger(ish) tight cos I found that if I used the c spanner to tighten it I can't get the disc off.
Advice/ info greatly appreciated.

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
hunter

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 07:49:02 PM »

Because of the direction the disc travels it self tightens,
The more pressure you put on it the more it tightens,
Also if it jams and jolts it tightens even more.

I
Sid_Vicious

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 07:55:33 PM »

That's my experience to, it can be a bugger to undo again sometimes.

Nothing is impossible, It just take longer time to figure it out
Bus Boy

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 08:47:31 PM »

Yep had the same problem meself a few times. Seems to happen more often if I'm cutting masonry (concrete slabs). I believe this is because the disc jumps & jolts about a lot more so it tightens the lock nut.(as Mr Hunter just mentioned)
I found that a pair of tight mole grips on the lock nut and a sharp hammer blow normally sorts it out or a set of stilsons will do it. Saves all the stripping down.

I never wanted to be normal anyways!
klogan45

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 07:27:42 PM »

Thanks guys, glad to hear that it's not just me.

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: