May 02, 2024, 11:41:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: I R S  (Read 28122 times)
terry t

« on: May 20, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »

Thinking of changing the axle on my gl1500 trike from swing arm setup to irs
not ridden a trike with irs what is the benefit's on this
The problem is I want to keep the panniers.
looking at a jag as this don't have a top wishbone. and moving the shocks in towards the diff.
will this work has any one got any idea's on axle and setup. or pictures

minimutly

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 10:44:21 AM »

Try googling berrisford engineering, or autograss fabrication in general - the rwd cars have been using rose joint mounted swing arms, with ford type cv joints. There would be no issue with strength, but you'd need to fab up a mounting post across the chassis. You could use any suitable diff, probably the smaller the better?
spanners

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 10:45:20 AM »

you could make youre own IRS set up using sierra  or late granada diff and hubs etc  just build a mounting frame

it would be a lot cheaper and easier to source the bits rather than  jag ,

its well documented in the kit cat building world

i think you may encounter big problems moving jag shocks further inboard ..

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
kapri

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »

Work from your tyres back ie make sure you can get the overall gearing you want in whatever you use.
merv

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »

I'm going to be watching this one Terry

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
terry t

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »

Thanks for your replies
but a ford or bmw requires a top wish bone a I haven't the room for that setup as I want to keep the panniers

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 06:32:43 PM »

I'm sure I've seen a jag axle on a trike on here ?  Roll Eyes and very easy to mount..lots of diffierent gear ratios..and actually not that expensive for parts..well not from the guys I use ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
terry t

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 07:10:28 PM »

I'm sure I've seen a jag axle on a trike on here ?  Roll Eyes and very easy to mount..lots of diffierent gear ratios..and actually not that expensive for parts..well not from the guys I use ?

So have I Grin.  I've been trying to find the photos of this setup. found a guy in Ringwood that has a few axles
minimutly

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 10:45:15 PM »

The point is though the jag setup is a little heavy for a small engined trike. The ford diff doesn't need top wishbones, you just need a single, stressed wishbone arm with a bearing carrier at the end, a'la truimph 2000, sierra? It really is very easy - isn't it?
terry t

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 07:22:07 AM »

The point is though the jag setup is a little heavy for a small engined trike. The ford diff doesn't need top wishbones, you just need a single, stressed wishbone arm with a bearing carrier at the end, a'la truimph 2000, sierra? It really is very easy - isn't it?

Its a Honda Goldwing GL1500
stinkey

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 08:16:55 AM »

Once again. How is a jag axle HEAVY..it's turning gears with rotation..if I can turn the diff flange with my hand and it moves easily..the reliant moves it easy too? And I've removed rather a lot of weight compared to an original reliant etc ? And I'm sure they even manage to tow things too ?
But obviously something lighter would be advantageous ..and yes I use the guys in Ringwood ..speak to Wil..nice chap very helpful ..

terry t

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 08:28:16 AM »

Once again. How is a jag axle HEAVY..it's turning gears with rotation..if I can turn the diff flange with my hand and it moves easily..the reliant moves it easy too? And I've removed rather a lot of weight compared to an original reliant etc ? And I'm sure they even manage to tow things too ?
But obviously something lighter would be advantageous ..and yes I use the guys in Ringwood ..speak to Wil..nice chap very helpful ..

Thanks hope to be going there this week. is your guy in Boundary Way Ringwood?
If the jag setup won't fit with the panniers fitted. then I will keep the reliant axle on and work on the shocks
stinkey

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 07:00:14 PM »

I use the guys at hollygrove jag ? So don't think it's boundary road (lane ?) there is a breakers yard in boundary road..which is 2 minutes from me..
And modifying jag shocks inboard is easy..I've also taken 6 inches out of my driveshafts/lower wishbones
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:03:18 PM by stinkey » Logged

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 07:23:24 PM »

Not mine, but something I had on file!...Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
terry t

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 08:14:47 PM »

Morrag. thanks but that setup wont work with the top wishbone as I want to keep the panniers

Stinkey that the look I'm after but with outboard disc full width axle but want to bring the top mounting for the shocks in towards the diff making a cradle across the top of the diff to hold then. tried adding a sketch but to large   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: