May 14, 2024, 11:38:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Defender fuel pump problem??  (Read 8034 times)
vicky

« on: September 19, 2012, 03:33:28 PM »

My Defender (TD5) is making a loud buzzing noise from the fuel pump and the engine keeps cutting out. Ive had the fuel filter changed but the problem hasnt stopped. Is it worth changing the pump right away or could it be faults with the injectors or fuel pipe?? Im confused as to why the pump is making such a racket when it seems to be working Huh The guy from the garage says a new pump will cost £300 plus loads of labour due to it being a 90 and the fuel tank will have to come out. Dont want to rush into buying a new pump but also would like to avoid breaking down on a roundabout again!!
The North

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »

Start cheap, replace the filter at the bottom of the pump, then the main filter get good quality ones not nondescript, if all is the same look for leaks especially around the fuel pressure regulator, and take note of any air  leaks there may be elsewhere,  Next is it starting ok? if not it could be a injector loom or bad ECU connection. Do the filters like i said first then take it from there. 
vicky

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »

Start cheap, replace the filter at the bottom of the pump, then the main filter get good quality ones not nondescript, if all is the same look for leaks especially around the fuel pressure regulator, and take note of any air  leaks there may be elsewhere,  Next is it starting ok? if not it could be a injector loom or bad ECU connection. Do the filters like i said first then take it from there. 
It didnt want to start this morning,, or after it cuts out. Still making the funny noise. Will get those things checked out...sounds like a good place to start, thanks x
The North

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »

It could be an injector gone down a seal perhaps, or as i said a injector loom or even the ECU connections but start with filters and air leaks the pipes to the pump etc. Dont go dashing out buying a pump certainly not at that price.
spanners

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »

last one i sorted out was a disco, td5 they changed the pump and filters  had ecu checked out ,,couldnt find it the problem =poor starting, and noisey pump, became intermittent,, Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

turned out to be engine injector loom , and a perforated pipe ,repaired pipe and  i cleaned the loom plugs with brake cleaner and it helped,,, fitted new loom  £34 and cured it

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
vicky

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »

It could be an injector gone down a seal perhaps, or as i said a injector loom or even the ECU connections but start with filters and air leaks the pipes to the pump etc. Dont go dashing out buying a pump certainly not at that price.
Fingers crossed its one of the above!!
Ive got it booked in for Monday and hopefully armed with this info will save a few quid! Thanks x
The North

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 03:19:55 PM »

The early defender 5s and the 5cylinder second generation discovery had quite poor  quality injector looms they improved the quality on the later ones.
  The ecu correction you need to look at is the red plug not the grey or black one if you are looking at the connections on the ecu the red plug to your right check the far right yellow wires the injector  loom connectors.
vicky

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »

The early defender 5s and the 5cylinder second generation discovery had quite poor  quality injector looms they improved the quality on the later ones.
  The ecu correction you need to look at is the red plug not the grey or black one if you are looking at the connections on the ecu the red plug to your right check the far right yellow wires the injector  loom connectors.
Have had all of the above checked and it still isnt running! (it finally died on Tuesday) Pricing up a new fuel pump  Sad
vicky

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 07:53:29 PM »

Have had all of the above checked and it still isnt running! (it finally died on Tuesday) Pricing up a new fuel pump  Sad
found a cheap pump £75..made by BEARMACH??? anyone heard of the brand???
The North

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 08:38:43 PM »

Yes they are well know in LR circles most of the lr parts firms sell them. will be fine.
  Just for fun ring  RCV   roberts country vehicles at doncaster. you may get a pump cheaper, but a lot they sell is from oem producers so may not be able to compete. But ring them for sure you wont get OEM land rover stuff of the quality they sell for less money.  It could be the bearmach is simply cheaper hands down, but either way you will be fine. Costs nothing to try.
  RCV on 01302  880001

8 Court Croft Road
Sandall Carr Road
Kirk Sandall Industrial Estate
Doncaster
DN3 1QL

Tel: 01302 880001
Fax: 01302 880188
vicky

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 06:42:09 AM »

Yes they are well know in LR circles most of the lr parts firms sell them. will be fine.
  Just for fun ring  RCV   roberts country vehicles at doncaster. you may get a pump cheaper, but a lot they sell is from oem producers so may not be able to compete. But ring them for sure you wont get OEM land rover stuff of the quality they sell for less money.  It could be the bearmach is simply cheaper hands down, but either way you will be fine. Costs nothing to try.
  RCV on 01302  880001

8 Court Croft Road
Sandall Carr Road
Kirk Sandall Industrial Estate
Doncaster
DN3 1QL

Tel: 01302 880001
Fax: 01302 880188
I used this garage for a new cross member, by far the cheapest!!
Had an inspection hole cut, changed fuel pump and it still wont start!!!!
Local garage guy does not share my love of Defenders, he has tried alsorts with it but to no avail.
I will give garage in Doncaster a call and see if they know anything.
The North

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 08:44:36 AM »

I would use  RCV for parts  know their way around land rovers too, but if its a diesel spacific issue you wont beat this firm again in  doncaster try sure start  diesel injection on 01302 340467 ask for Paul the owner they are very good and helpful you will get an answer there. .
vicky

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 06:46:55 PM »

I would use  RCV for parts  know their way around land rovers too, but if its a diesel spacific issue you wont beat this firm again in  doncaster try sure start  diesel injection on 01302 340467 ask for Paul the owner they are very good and helpful you will get an answer there. .
Had an inspection hole cut to change the fuel pump and its still not working!! Was told to order some injectors and see if thats the problem. How expensive are they!! 50 quid each just to test them or Ripon Landrover quoted 800 for a set. I managed to find a set for 400. They should arrive in the next couple of days.

I had a rangerover before and sold it because it kept breaking (air suspension, multiple computer problems and a new gear box all in the space of a year) and thought a defender would be nice and simple....arggggg!

The North

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 09:34:53 PM »

Did Sure start say it was injectors ?  If not you realy do need to speak to them.
sure start  diesel injection on 01302 340467 ask for Paul, trust me you wont get a fairer firm than these.  Who told you to get injectors next.?
vicky

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 09:00:59 AM »

Did Sure start say it was injectors ?  If not you realy do need to speak to them.
sure start  diesel injection on 01302 340467 ask for Paul, trust me you wont get a fairer firm than these.  Who told you to get injectors next.?
I rang sure start and they said they dont test injectors there and that they dont have much to do with defenders as they dont have the diagnostic for them. They said that they would order me some in if i got the part numbers ect.
The mechanic im using is a friend who just works alone from a broken down barn, not great i know but he is usally the cheapest and trusted place to send it for small jobs, he has been trying all the cheaper options listed above first. He says now thats its either the injectors or head but i thought it was something to do with air in the system hence the squealing noise from the pump. Anyhow the firm suppling the set of injectors have said they will buy them back at a reduced rate if mine are ok. Sounded cheaper than getting mine tested and moving it to another garage so i thought id give that a go first.   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: