May 14, 2024, 08:57:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else finding the forum slow to load?  (Read 8003 times)
renegade53

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 09:00:38 PM »

(stands on corner patiently whistling in the wind)  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Grin

renegade53

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 09:03:19 PM »

tried twice and it wouldn't load so i thought i'd try another time.

nabsim

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 01:43:04 PM »

I have a forum Andy but I have restricted membership to prevent hackers. Although computers/systems is my job I am at the very bottom of the ladder when it comes to forums and web sites, can get them up and running but if they break I doubt I am much different to you. I will be suprised if we dont have someone on here that is a bit handy with them though. If you get stuck I will have a look but like I say I am a novice at that bit.

I know the chipping in thing comes up now and then and I know all the downsides of having paying 'members'. I do think though if peeps want to chip in on the understanding they are treated exactly the same as anyone else I reckon you should take it, (preferably done annonymously so nobody feels bad about not being able to contribute). Last thing MMM needs is a class system, it just works so well as it is Wink

Cabman77

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 02:24:39 PM »

I have a forum Andy but I have restricted membership to prevent hackers. Although computers/systems is my job I am at the very bottom of the ladder when it comes to forums and web sites, can get them up and running but if they break I doubt I am much different to you. I will be suprised if we dont have someone on here that is a bit handy with them though. If you get stuck I will have a look but like I say I am a novice at that bit.

I know the chipping in thing comes up now and then and I know all the downsides of having paying 'members'. I do think though if peeps want to chip in on the understanding they are treated exactly the same as anyone else I reckon you should take it, (preferably done annonymously so nobody feels bad about not being able to contribute). Last thing MMM needs is a class system, it just works so well as it is Wink

here here  Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 02:29:03 PM »

I agree - those of us who can would love to chip in whatever we can afford.  I can understand why Andy doesn't want that - but we'd be lost without this forum, there's no other like it!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
merv

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 04:12:29 PM »

I'm with BikerGran
A few years a go i saw a nice looking trike which got me thinking ( i know thinking is dangres  Roll Eyes Grin ) i like a trike. The way the trike looked i thought i could make one myself, so i started looking around the internet to see what i could find on trikes and came across this site quite by accident and i haven't left. Like BikerGran says there's nothing like it

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
thebigdogsix

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »

Last thing MMM needs is a class system

Speak for yourself i want to be king of all manky world  Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 09:52:14 PM »

Muppets!   Kiss
Nabs, we don't have a restricted membership policy as some sites do, but do run a few checks on any applicant that looks iffy. We get a couple of computerised hits a month, usually with user-names that are completely random strings of letters & numbers. We check 'em through a few other sites & if we're still in doubt, send an email asking them to confirm they're genuine & not computer generated -so if you get that email, don't take it personally! Not fool proof but it weeds out most of the spam ones.
The virus was introduced through the forum, via an avatar that contained hidden script. That's why we now restrict use of avatars to established members. Most viruses are free roaming, not targetted at particular sites. We were just unlucky enough to be using a forum programme with loopholes that allowed it in.
I am Lord of all I survey! ...yeah, right!  Tongue

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
dobber

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »

Last thing MMM needs is a class system

Speak for yourself i want to be king of all manky world  Grin
dan ,  i baggseyed being king first. 

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Cabman77

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 11:41:33 AM »

That explains why it took about 3 months to be allowed on..............you obviously thought I looked a bit iffy.........................proof that the system works.....sort of  Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
nabsim

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »

Thats the way I do it Andy, only cos we started getting literally hundreds of fictitous members a week. Luckily the forum software I use (SMF) has been okay for me so far, I do apply all the updates as soon as they come out though and use a standard theme so I dont have to worry about an update breaking it.

If it was caused by script running from an avatar did you ask your hosting company if they could sort the problem for you? No idea if they could or would though, just thinking out loud. Will be some little s**te sat somewhere thinking they have done a great job because their script worked as well. Barstewards aint they.

dobber

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 05:04:18 PM »

do they do it out of shear badness or do they gain something from it. if there that clued up why dont they do it for a living?. never understood it.

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 08:24:38 PM »

They just do it because they can.  An internet version of graffiti, if you like.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 10:00:09 PM »

The hosting company took us offline & didn't reinstate our account until we'd cleared the virus -which is entirely understandable. It was our problem, not theirs. We try to keep things as casual & welcoming as we can here, but there's always stuff going on behind the scenes! 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
nabsim

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2011, 01:41:30 PM »

The hosting company took us offline & didn't reinstate our account until we'd cleared the virus -which is entirely understandable. It was our problem, not theirs. We try to keep things as casual & welcoming as we can here, but there's always stuff going on behind the scenes! 

Give me a computer and a load of disks any day, I can usually sort that. This new fangled tinternet stuff is whats made me lose my hair (or was that women?) Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: