May 02, 2024, 04:21:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Exhaust exit query.  (Read 4531 times)
Olds

« on: December 06, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »

Wondering if anyone knows what the rules, if there are any, are on the position of the exhaust exit.
I know that the exhaust should not be positioned, where fumes are likely to be drawn into the interior of the car/truck. So generally behind/away from any opening windows etc.
But this is for the speedster, which has minimal bodywork, no doors, roof or even windscreen. I am thinking of exits in front or the scuttle (through the bonnet sides). This is a 1940s vehicle so any legislation brought in after 1950 should not apply.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
panthershaun

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »

On this type of build sir I would run the pipe down the side like on the old race car's

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Olds

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »

That is what I was originally planning. Or perhaps down each side. 

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
panthershaun

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 01:09:02 PM »

if your running a 4 I think best down 1 side... with a brooklands can on the end  Wink

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »

Don't think there's any restrictions on where the exhaust is routed or where it exits, can't find anything in the rules. If you look at the McLaren Mercedes SLR's, their exhaust exits to the rear of the front tyre on either side. I pretty sure that the SLR will be type approved, so I would think it's ok. But what do I know?

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
kapri

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 05:06:37 PM »

Can exit anywhere from the hood but on passengers side the exhaust must point away from pedestrians. C&U from long ago memory.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »

So a high level pipe along the passenger side, pointing straight back, would be O.K? (thinking about BIVA for the future T bucket project). Obviously it'd need to comply with the decibel limit, but no heat shields needed?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
kapri

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 07:21:49 PM »

No different to a motorbike really and outside pipes on Cobra and Sevens aren't a problem. Nothing in the manual specifying otherwise .I'm running high level exhaust on my project as well.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: