May 03, 2024, 03:58:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: New York, New York  (Read 9515 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: June 16, 2017, 05:43:08 PM »

I'm on my holibobs next week, but should still be able to log in on my phone while I'm gone, so should be business as usual. However, the servers have emailed me to say they're doing some overnight service work next weekend. So just in case there's a problem, I'll sort it when I get back.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 05:47:49 PM »

Oh -where am I going? New York! Yeah, baby!
Completely spur of the moment decision this afternoon. 2 weeks off work & nothing arranged. Walked into a travel agents a couple of hours ago, I fly out on Monday morning Smiley 7 days in Noo Yawk. I'm not a regular flier, never done the airport thing on my own before. Excited & terrified at the same time Smiley

poprodder

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 06:40:14 PM »

have fun, we'll behave. lol
do you need a visa?

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 07:46:20 PM »

Never mind the Visa, will they let you in, anyway!!.......................... Shocked

Beware the Ides of March, But!
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 08:56:32 PM »

Haha enjoy.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 09:56:17 PM »

Just got to fill in an online "ESTA" form.
I'm more worried they might not let me back out again.
As I was saying to CopperSmith earlier, I'm not convinced anywhere as crazy as America really exists, so I'm going to see what's really behind the curtain.  Tongue

JayJay

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 11:31:05 PM »

That sounds great Andy. I went for my 50th birthday. Only thing about going on your own (assuming you are  Wink) is that you have to ask strangers to take photos or otherwise you haven't got any pics to look back on. You should consider the New York Pass which is currently $299 if purchased before the 20/6. You get access to about 90 attractions and hop on buses. The link is:

https://www.newyorkpass.com

I was getting up at 6:30am and going to bed at 2am. I covered loads of stuff inc. a helicopter flight over NY. Definitely worth the extra money. No point lying in when there is so much going on. Transport is good but taxis are everwhere. Anyway, check out the link and see what you think. Have a great time.
JJ  Cool

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Archie

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 06:18:51 AM »

http://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/new-york
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 07:36:00 AM »

Thanks for those.
The travel agent suggested that pass Jay Jay, but I'm not really a tourist attraction type. Not that bothered about the Empire State building or the Statue of Liberty or Times Square -I just want to soak up the lifestyle really. Didn't want to drive so it had to be a city break & this seemed the obvious choice. Smiley
Some of those places look interesting though Archie Smiley

JayJay

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 10:10:05 PM »

Well at least:

take a walk in Central Park, where you can also see Strawberry Fields, the John Lennon dedication which is in the park by the Dakota building;

go to the Guggenheim Museum, if just for the architecture;

sit on the steps of the NY Public Library and watch the world go by;

do the same at Grand Central Station which is brilliant to take in New Yorkers in a fantastic setting;

cross the Brooklyn Bridge;

try and take a ride over to Hoboken New Jersey (home of Sinatra) at night so you can just gaze at the Manhatten skyline you see so much of on TV.

And finally, if you don't do Times Square I think you will regret it. It really is an experience but only once it gets dark.

Whatever you do, I hope you have fun doing it and you make it a holiday to really remember.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Baychimp

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 01:20:24 AM »

When you goooo will you send back a letter frommm America?
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 07:03:22 AM »

And let us no what you don't see much of on the streets of NY too ? Smiley

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
hornet6

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 08:07:44 PM »

Have a great time Andy. we went a few years ago and had an incredible time. Loads to watch and do there. The memorial of the trade towers, with the new freedom tower next to it...also just round the corner from there is the new transport hub which was being built when we was there, which is finished now I believe. Its a very modern striking building. Grand central terminal. Empire state building. Rockafeller center. Times square, you need to try and do them all. We took a twighlight cruise of the bay taking in the statue of liberty.
Also, if your interested in such things, take a tour of the aircraft carrier intrepid thats a floating museum. If you have seen the film I am legend with will Smith in it...he is on the deck of it whacking golf balls right at the start. 

no projects ever finished
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 09:18:24 PM »

Smiley Thanks for the suggestions chaps. I'd planned to just turn up & mooch about for a while, soaking up the lifestyle without really doing much -but I guess it'd be a shame not to do certain things. Chatted to my neighbour this afternoon. Seems just about everyone's been there before except me. He stayed in the same area as me & said he walked from there to the "bottom" of the island in a day, but stopped in several bars on the way. So hopefully in a week I can cover a fair bit of it, but there's no real itinerary -if I like one area there's no reason I can't stay there all day. We'll see.
So alarm goes off at 3.30 in the morning, taxi arrives at 4.30, Heathrow by 5.30, flight leaves at 8.40 -I'd better get some sleep.
See you next week guys Smiley 

Olds

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 09:44:02 PM »

Hope you have a great time. We'll try not to break anything. Honest.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: