May 18, 2024, 11:28:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565251 times)
Galaxie500

« Reply #7275 on: April 14, 2014, 06:02:28 PM »

Looking good.
Try Eddie at Knightsbridge for an MOT
 http://www.knightsbridgegarage.co.uk/
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7276 on: April 14, 2014, 09:29:56 PM »

Thanks guys, but I finally admitted defeat today -it was an act of the purest optimism to think it'd be ready for Wheelsday. Just ain't gonna happen I'm afraid.
Spent the afternoon today finishing the interior roof panel & it fought me all the way. I very rarely swear -people don't often wind me up enough for that, but inanimate objects do it every time. Laying on my back in the cab, with the handbrake lever digging me in the back, trying to hold 2 steel panels in place & tack weld them together really did turn the air blue, especially with red hot weld spatter dropping down my sleeve. Fortunately Mr Loon & his Mum had gone home by then. Just me & the cat -who wisely decided to leave me to it & go & find something to kill instead.
Still got the dashboard mounts to sort out, interior to refit, glass to fit, (I know that's gonna be a bugger of a job too), doors to hang, fuel tanks to fit etc. Then the brakes need re-bleeding, electrics need checking & the engine needs firing up & checking over.
Should be finished in a week or so, but setting deadlines is just stressing myself out -it'll be done when it's done.

A couple of snaps from a few days ago.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:06:25 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7277 on: April 14, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »

Workshop Cat checking my progress.

New centre section in the bulkhead looks much tidier.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7278 on: April 14, 2014, 09:33:44 PM »

Mr Newbie drops by from time to time. Always nice to see you Dave.  Wink

Archie

« Reply #7279 on: April 15, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »

Red max open day then
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7280 on: April 15, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »

MonkeyWorld run & Basingstoke Festival of Transport before then Archie, but yeah, definitely Red Max.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7281 on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:32 PM »

Another visit from Mr Newbie this afternoon. It's very disconcerting when you walk around the Pop, peer underneath it -then don't say anything -what?! What have I done wrong?!  Grin

Finished the much-cursed roof panel this afternoon. Doesn't fit too badly now, though I would've liked it to follow the curve of the interior light fitting a little better. Now removed, sharp edges taped & delivered to Loony's Mum for upholstering. It's made from the front section of an old Morris Minor roof skin, extended with a strip of fresh steel at the back edge. The point was to make a bolt-in upholstered panel that'd have a double curvature, to keep as much headroom in the cab as possible. There's about an inch gap between the inner & outer skins. Another hundredweight of steel added to the truck!
With all the holes in the roof now welded up, the next job will be covering the inside with a layer of Dynamat sound/heat insulation.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:19:07 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7282 on: April 16, 2014, 08:22:20 PM »

Fitted the rear lights a couple of days ago. The lamps & home made mounts have been stripped & powder-coated, so I had to run separate earth wires down inside the braided nylon sleeving to the chassis.
New red glass fog light lens too. The old one was just red painted clear glass & had faded to pink. Rubber bump stops for the tailgate were donated to the original build by Mr Spanners & were from an old Jaguar I think.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:25:18 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7283 on: April 16, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »

The Monkeyhead bonnet badge. Probably the most photographed part of the whole truck. Now freshly nickel plated & reinstalled. I've run a thin skim of body filler around the edge of the plinth to clean up the crinkly welded edge. 

Olds

« Reply #7284 on: April 17, 2014, 06:47:00 AM »

Another visit from Mr Newbie this afternoon. It's very disconcerting when you walk around the Pop, peer underneath it -then don't say anything -what?! What have I done wrong?!  Grin
That's why I do it  Grin
Nothing wrong. Cheesy Just like to see how other folk do things. Always trying to learn from those who have been there and done that. Your truck, not having everything covered in filler and paint, is perfect for seeing, how things have been done.
Just keep going and ignore me. Smiley ( if I think something is seriously amiss I WILL tell you)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:51:43 AM by Old Newbie » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7285 on: April 17, 2014, 09:36:20 PM »

Smiley Dynamatted the cab roof this afternoon. I wasn't convinced this stuff would actually work, but I did a before & after tapping-on-the-middle-of-the-roof test & it went from a metallic clang, to a very dull thud. So I guess it works.
Had a phone call from Speedy Cables to say my speedo's ready. 230 quid -which sounds horrendous, but ain't nearly as bad as I was expecting. My day off on Tuesday, so I'll drive down to Swansea & collect it.

Recallibrated.
New, made to measure, cable.
Angle drive unit, (so the cable drops straight down from the back of the speedo, instead of 90 degrees to it).
New glass.
Odometer wound on to show the Pop's true mileage.
"Indicators" lettering removed from the dial face & green warning light removed, (I'm going to fit a high beam light in it's place).
A couple of new bulb holders.

dobber

« Reply #7286 on: April 17, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »

moving on now mm.

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
poprodder

« Reply #7287 on: April 18, 2014, 01:06:35 PM »

soon be a street rod!!! lol

looking good andy.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7288 on: April 18, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »

It'll never be a street rod!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7289 on: April 19, 2014, 09:25:11 PM »

Feeling very weary today after a long day at the Surrey Street Rodders' Wheelsday show near Guildford yesterday, followed by a normal day's work today.
Having finished the roof, I moved down to the dashboard. Made up a couple of stepped mounting tabs & welded them to the bulkhead, under the windscreen, then drilled the Bakelite dash to suit & hung it in place. I've got a strip of rubber trim to try & isolate it from the vibration of the bulkhead & may use rubber washers under any additional mounts cos I'm worried about the 60 year old dash cracking. 
You can see here that a previous owner has cut the curved ends off. Once I'd squared them up, the dash is 3" short on each side. I'll fill this with a steel section with a mounting tab, welded into the cab at each end.
Lots of layers of paint on the dash to clean off. It'll eventually be sprayed in body colour, (pale green).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:27:02 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: