May 17, 2024, 09:42:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564724 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5235 on: September 19, 2012, 09:54:34 AM »

"Plastic Bucket" -I like that! I've called my truck a few names while I've been building it!  Angry
It's actually listed on the registration paperwork as a Mankymobile. I've got a nickname for it though -"Junkyard Frog".
My 2 green Triumph SpeedTriple bikes were both called Kermit the Thug. So I guess my green trike should be Kermit the Thug III.

Yeah, Loony & I both like the old fashioned glass washer bottles, as used on Ford Consuls & the like. Didn't really want plastic in my truck, but it was a period accessory fitting so's correct for the age of the vehicle & most of it's hidden by the stainless sleeve anyway.
Your Aussie jam jar works out to £115 British pounds! (I paid 5 for mine).

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5236 on: September 19, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »

Various fill-in pieces cut to fill the gaps around the bulkhead recess, plus a piece folded & welded in to reduce the length of the recess.

panthershaun

« Reply #5237 on: September 22, 2012, 06:25:21 AM »

Is it "Speed Freak" rebuilt, or just similar?
My favourite Fordson van was always "Hot n Bothered".
No-one names their cars any more.  Sad

wrong mate, I name all mine and currently in the stable are
Bobcat = Panther
Bess = BSA
Cochise = Indian Scout
The Beast = Land Rover
The Saltster = Panther project
The Cub = rigid girder Panther 250 trials project
The Mutant = the Pop pickup
The Thing = Reliant Kitten project

Wink Wink Cool Cool Kiss Kiss

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Cabman77

« Reply #5238 on: September 26, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »

Cuddles named our volvo estate Gertie (sorry Bobbi) and now she`s named the Harley Beryl!!!! WHY!!!!!!! Huh Huh Huh Huh

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
spanners

« Reply #5239 on: September 26, 2012, 02:11:30 PM »

Cuddles named our volvo estate Gertie (sorry Bobbi) and now she`s named the Harley Beryl!!!! WHY!!!!!!! Huh Huh Huh Huh

dunno something about women we,ll never understand  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes like when they say a horrid looking (to me n,you) car looks  cute,,, Tongue

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5240 on: September 27, 2012, 06:38:34 PM »

Cuddles named our volvo estate Gertie (sorry Bobbi)

I don't care. my Gertie is the original and best!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5241 on: October 01, 2012, 08:59:31 PM »

Tidying up under the bonnet.
The gearbox oil filler/dipstick tube was temporarily pinned to the bulkhead with a P clip. An offcut of steel tube & some plate & now it sits in a guide toob.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5242 on: October 01, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »

Washer bottle back in place.

one arm bandit

« Reply #5243 on: October 01, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »

looks very neet that andy, its the little touch's that tend to get noticed and praised as we all often over look them, shes nearly there mate keep it up Wink
The North

« Reply #5244 on: October 01, 2012, 11:13:34 PM »

It is happening this inst it Smiley  How long do you think until its finished.
spanners

« Reply #5245 on: October 01, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »

piece of string  Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
poprodder

« Reply #5246 on: October 02, 2012, 08:07:18 AM »

piece of string  Wink

lol

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5247 on: October 02, 2012, 09:22:22 AM »

A very long piece of string -that frequently unravels.  Tongue

Last major job before the MOT is to sort the doors out. We've had all sorts of problems with them. They're not the original doors from the car & we've cut & repositioned the hinges a couple of times but they're not right. The 2 hinges don't line up. They're not sitting completely vertically. So when you open the door, one of them is under tension & after half a dozen openings, the hinge pins start to work their way out.
I copied PantherShaun's idea & bought some self aligning hinges from Ebay, as fitted to the back doors of Moggy Minor vans & Travellers & Mini vans. They have a brass ball joint in the middle which takes up any mis alignment. But they're very narrow so would sit right on the very outside lip of the door. That'd mean cutting a section out of the inside of the door & strengthening it with angle iron & trying to spread the load down the length of the door. A lot of work & hard to explain. Shaun's reversed his doors, so the hinges are at the back, which presumably works better. 
So after sitting & looking at them yesterday, I've decided to stick with the originals. I've just phoned Kris at Pop Browns & ordered new stainless steel hinge pins. Loony's Dad's got his lathe up & running now, so I'll ask him very nicely to machine new lugs for the pins to sit in. Then we can tack weld the doors in the right position, cut the ends off the existing hinges, (Pop hinges stand out about 2" from the bodywork), & weld the new pin/lug assemblies in place. Sounds a bit drastic, but the easiest way to do it.
Once the doors open & close O.K, I've got modern "bear claw" latches to fit, as well as repositioning the interior handles, (the seating position means they're right where my knee rests). I've got a couple of spare doors I can canibalise for repair sections.
Finally we need to rebuild the bodywork around the door openings. The doors we're using came from Ebay & have been chopped by the previous owner by 4". Our roof is chopped by 3", so we've got a 1" gap to fill above them. The side windows look more in proportion to the cab though, as well as these doors being in better nick than the originals.
We have a year from the date we passed the SVA to get all the registration paperwork finished. That puts it at the 9th of April.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:21:10 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #5248 on: October 02, 2012, 09:31:55 AM »

good luck andy, i'm awaiting what holiday is owed to me, the way i'm going i'll be on a continuse(sp?) one.

kapri

« Reply #5249 on: October 04, 2012, 07:36:59 AM »

To make sure your hinges are inline use a piece of round bar passing through the parts that bolt / weld to the door shut.
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: