May 11, 2024, 09:18:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wheel alignment / offset ?  (Read 1958 times)
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« on: February 10, 2010, 08:53:13 AM »

can any body tell me the tolerence for the rear wheel offset of a bike. as in can you be off to one side by as much as say 5 mm , 10 or even 15 mm . i know that it should be as alignded as is humanly possible and you would probably not notice when driving a 5 mm offset - but someone behind will , i think they call it crabing .

reason im about to make the spacers for my rear wheel (from a gsx) i have fitted an offset +15 mm front sprocket to the zed 650 engine. i also used 2 x 50 mm box steel across the backbone and seat tube and then a further 2 ( one each side ) rearward and set the wheel dead centre between theses 2 but takes the sprockets out of alignment by 3 mm .

so do i set it accoring to the frame ( which i think i do ) or set it to the sprocket cause 5 mm offset wont matter

i will take a photo tonight to help explain 
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:45:39 PM »

Your wheels should most definite be in line, with everything else, such as sprocket alignment, being adjusted to suit, not t'other way round, with no compromise really, Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 09:11:31 AM »

thanks morrag . i new the answer before i asked the question but since then i was out last night and re checked the steel i was using for the aligment check and found it had a slight curve on one side so i wasnt getting propper readings . all re done now and lined up as should be

cheers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: