May 11, 2024, 06:47:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My brother's Austin 7 Special  (Read 2967 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« on: May 19, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »

He's had this car since I was a kid (I use to be his spanner monkey) - it's been off the road for years but he's finally found a great local garage to restore it for him as he's 75 and find the spannering harder now - I sympathise!

It looks white in the pics but this is actually grey primer - it will be back to BRG when finished

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z250/BikerGran_photos/Peters%20Austin%207%20Special%20being%20restored/IMG_0006.jpg
My brother's Austin 7 Special

There an Austin 7 racing engine to go back in here - oh yes, believe it!

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z250/BikerGran_photos/Peters%20Austin%207%20Special%20being%20restored/IMG_0005.jpg

Peter's very proud of the instrument panel - all his own work

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z250/BikerGran_photos/Peters%20Austin%207%20Special%20being%20restored/IMG_0007.jpg

And I'm very proud of my brother!  Severely deaf all his life, very little education because of that, but he was an excellent engineer (mostly self taught).  He originally bought this complete but in a bit of a state, I remember him scraping shell bearings and working on the chassis in the big workshop we had at the bottom of the garden (Dad was a petrolhead too)
Hope to get a ride in it again when it's done!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 09:22:20 PM »

That's lovely. I like the split front beam.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 09:28:17 PM »

I know very little about the technicalities!  I remember him saying it's quite difficult to drive in normal road conditions - something about the gap between gear ratios.  There's no room for seats, just a bit of padding to the rear wall of the cockpit and a couple of square cushions fixed to the floor.  My game old mum once travelled about 100 miles in it with a suitcase on her lap!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 09:46:34 PM »

Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
JayJay

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 10:18:33 PM »

Interesting project. I bet it will be an emotional day when it is completed, for all of you, especially as it will bring back memories of youth and loved ones long gone. Well done to your Brother for keeping it all this time. I bet there is many a person out there who wish they still had the car they grew up with.
JJ Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Olds

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 05:57:48 AM »

What a lovely little special. Somehow it's so typically British. Please keep us updated on this one BG.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 06:45:37 AM »

That's lovely. I like the split front beam.

It's a style of axle invented by Leslie Bellamy. Allard road cars used them. There was one (for a Ford) for sale at Beaulieu at the weekend

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
panthershaun

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 07:47:29 AM »

oh so cool BG  Cool

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
hornet6

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 10:01:08 AM »

That looks amazing....a big well done to your brother for re-kindling this project.

no projects ever finished
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »

Interesting.The first attempt I had at a 4 wheeled build was using an Austin 7 that I bought for the princely sum of £5-00! back when I was 17! now that's a long time ago...............I digress, it was a '34 model, which I drove home from the local "scrappies", there were no vehicle dismantlers around our way back then! on a borrowed battery, with the leaking inlet manifold taped up with insulation tape.When I remember how I hacked that 'classic' about I have nightmares, if only.......ho hum..........Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 01:51:51 PM »

Peter (my brother) and some friends started a club in Worcester (I'm talking about over 40 years ago) - I think they called it the Character vehicle Club or something like that, so I met a lot of his friends with, yup, character vehicles.  Like the Talbot that couldn't be driven at more than 35 cos it progressed along the road in a series of curves!  Tha Austin 7 that had the starter ring stuck on with Bostik...  and so on.     Happy days!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: