May 11, 2024, 07:04:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pie's trike build  (Read 20188 times)
XL-erate

« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2008, 03:18:07 AM »

In a word, BEAUTIFUL!

Question: I've tried my crude best to do multicolor schemes but always get color bleed at the edge of the masking tape. Peel it off and a horror show of jagged paint edges. Used the white gp stuff and blue 'Painter's tape'. By the time 2-3 colors are on it's ready for the scrap heap. Special type of tape needed?
pie

« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2008, 05:05:19 PM »

Thanks for the replies people, I think I'm gonna attempt the exhaust myself.
XL, I just use the blue Fineline tape as shown in the pics for all my lining work. The trick is to work in the middle to build your colours up and stay away from the edge as much as possible thus preventing any build up, the edges (especially on flames) are usually darker and that is achieved with one or two light coats. Don't forget as well I'm doing this with an airbrush which allows me to spray very light coats and get pretty close to the tape edge, if you're using something like a panel gun or bigger you don't have as much control over where the paint is going. Hope that makes sense?
XL-erate

« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2008, 06:05:17 PM »

Makes great sense, thanks! Probably didn't buy tape from a paint pro shop, so got some funky cheap look alike blue, I'll try the good stuff!
pie

« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2009, 09:43:47 PM »

Crikey! it's been a while since I posted anything about the build so, for those that are interested, a little update.
In the last few weeks i've got back into finishing the trike after moving it back into my mates workshop.
The exhaust, which was causing me loads of hassle, has now been sorted, the brakes are very nearly done and the wiring should hopefully be finished up tomorrow.
I have also decided that as soon as it's done and registered it will be pulled apart and repainted. I'm not really happy with the colour and certainly not happy with the frame plus the late addition mudguards need painting anyway, so it will be new colour and new airbrush (what I do anyway).
I will try and get some new pics up soon, or rather as soon as I take some.
I'm in desperate need of a couple of bits so if anyone has a front brake lever for a Yam R6 or a rubber boot to fit a GS1000 rear master cylinder it'd be good to hear from you!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2009, 09:58:31 PM »

Nice to see you back Sir.  Wink
Looking forward to seeing the update photos.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: