May 12, 2024, 01:59:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Trike dolly arrived - and the Simmer Dim!  (Read 27954 times)
hunter

« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »

Bobbi, is that you @ 26.24?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

Nah,That can't be her Tony She looks to young Wink

I
spanners

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »

Bobbi, is that you @ 26.24?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

Nah,That can't be her Tony She looks to young Wink

hunter  ya, creep,, Cheesy Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
hunter

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2012, 10:25:49 PM »

Wink Grin

I
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2012, 11:08:24 PM »

Of course that young person at 26.24 is me!

Spanners 'once met never forgotten' - I could say that about you - I'll never forget your argument with a flagpole!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
spanners

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »

Of course that young person at 26.24 is me!

Spanners 'once met never forgotten' - I could say that about you - I'll never forget your argument with a flagpole!
lol,, it  reminds me every day permenent lump on my rib cage ,,,,,

theres only  one biker gran   Kiss Kiss

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2012, 04:24:12 PM »

Outwitted by a stick Mike?  Tongue

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2012, 04:32:10 PM »

Outwitted by a stick Mike?  Tongue
guy rope,, actually caused it  Shocked

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2012, 04:44:50 PM »

Who's he?

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »

He's a bloke who hangs around campsites to trip unwary (or tired and emotional) campers!

I had a slight encounter with him at the Dim but fortunately I twisted as I fell or I think my ribs would have encountered the trike rack - and the rack doesn't bend........

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »

So c'mon Bobbi -tell us how the journey went. How did the trike go? Any problems? What was the scenery like? Good riding roads?
We need more info!

nabsim

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2012, 08:41:15 AM »

So c'mon Bobbi -tell us how the journey went. How did the trike go? Any problems? What was the scenery like? Good riding roads?
We need more info!

And pictures Smiley

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »

The trip was fairly uneventful apart from getting worried about the hubs on the dolly getting warm - after a while I was reassured that they only got warm not hot, tho one does look as if it may have pissed out some grease so I'll check they're not overtightened.  Had some heavey rain the first and second days but could have been worse.  Stayed with Martin and Gill, biking friends in Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire the first night, too uptight to take any photos there unfortunately!

Then it was on to Southport to stay with my daughter Lucy and her partner Simon - had a long weekend there that was supposed to be a relaxing break in my trip but they didn't let me relax, we did all sorts of stuff, they're good fun to be with.  While there I met up with Womble, a biking friend from yet another forum, she rode over to Southport from somewhere near Wigan and I guess she and Pete got soaked on the way back!

More later, dinner's ready!

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »

Off up the M6 and M74, it's ok on the motorway at 50 once you get used to the lorries overtaking you instead of you overtaking them, quite restful really as you don't have to worry about route,  don't have to keep checking both mirrors except when there's traffic joining from the left.  And the motorway is pretty quiet once you get up towards the lake district so there's not a lot of that and when there is, it's easy to just slow a little and let them join in front - they're going to go past me anyway!  Weather was good too.

Stopped at a hotel near Larkhall (a bit south of Glasgow) as my Edinburgh overnight stop fell through, booked it from Lucy's through Laterooms.com and got a very spiffy room for £45.  Went croos-country from there to the M8, M9 and across the Forth road bridge then up the A92 to Glenrothes where I met Fifer and Rae, lovely folks who made me very welcome.  Unloaded the trike from the dolly, loaded all my stuff on and left there in sunshine just wearing my denims and it was fine all the way to Aberdeen!

Waiting to load onto the ferry was a bit of a so-and-so, they kept all the trikes waiting for hours while they loaded the bikes and other vehicles, no idea why as there was plenty of space.  The friends I was due to meet had loaded earlier and were in the pub but by the time I was loaded they were back on the boat.  I was starving by then so I missed the leaving from Aberdeen cos i was in the cafe stuffing my face.  We shared a cabin so I got quite a lot of sleep before we arrived in Lerwick at 0700, we had intended to go back on the boat for breakfast after unloading the bikes/trike but were invited to the home of some Shetlanders for breakfast before riding to the rally site at Vidlin 20 miles north of Lerwick.

Not going into many details about the rally here for reasons which may become clear later but just to say I had a great time although I never got away to do any sight-seeing, partly because I was so tired, partly cos the weather wasn't very good - damp and cloudy or raining - but mostly because every time I decided to go somewhere I got talking to people and after all that's what a rally's all about!
I'd really love to go back to Shetland for a holiday though, flying up, hiring a car, staying in B&B, you could see a lot in a week.

Nearly all the food, and all the beer (or wine in my case) was included in the ticket, bands were great, people were great, it never got dark, and then after a few days it was time to do it all in reverse!  Packed my wet tent but left the site in reasonably dry weather till I went over the big hill and was hit with rain and wind, but it started to dry up while waiting on the dockside and turned out a lovely day - just as well!  Overnight ferry again, unloaded at Aberdeen in quite good weather and set off for Glenrothes but wearing my warm stuff and waterproofs this time as it was windy and cold but bright.

Back to Fifer, chucked everything in the car, loaded the trike (getting good at it by this time) and back to the same hotel, then back to Southport for a night, then to Stow-on-the-Wold in Gloucestershire to stay with more biking friends, then home on Thursday.  Almost no rain at any point on my homeward trip, wasn't I lucky?

When I got home I had to unload the trike immediately as there's nowhere to park car plus trike, but left everything else in the car as I was really, really tired.  I'm just about getting some energy back now, but I've done about 7 loads of washing!

I had a great time but it was only when I was on the way home in the car that I really realised what a heck of a trip it was - SO pleased I did it but I don't intend to plan anything like that ever again!

The Simmer Dim is the most Northerly rally in the UK, so next year (maybe even this year) I want to do Cornwall MAG's 'End of the Road' rally which is the the most Southerly rally in UK - but that'll be easy in comparison!

Still editing pictures, I took about 400!

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2012, 07:56:18 PM »

I'd like to say a very big thanks to Pete (Fifer) for helping me with loading and unloading and storing the car, and even leading me up through Dundee because of roadworks and awkward junctions!

And thanks also to all the others on here who offered advice about towing and the dolly, and to Spanners and Nabsim who would have been prepared to travel to help me if I needed them while on the way up the M6!

merv

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2012, 08:01:05 PM »

I'm not saying anything about pictures  Grin

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: