May 11, 2024, 04:46:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: rods adventurous trip..a sort of blog  (Read 24361 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 09:50:40 PM »

Ooh, I love road trips!
So we're finally launching our first Monkey into outer Britain then. Awesome!
So when are you planning on going then Rod? Want us all to come round & house-sit your shed while you're away?

Only time I've ever ridden/driven in Johny Foreigner Land was a weekend trip to Cologne, Germany & back with a mate on my battered ol' 650 Bonneville when I was about 18. Still remember it. Still makes me grin. No foreign money, only map was an old school atlas, he was wearing plimsoles, I had knee length motorcycle boots but with holes the size of 50p pieces in the soles, T shirts & jeans, open face helmets -worst rain they'd seen in a decade we were told.
Scariest moment- trying to keep up with a crazy Dutch taxi driver who was showing us the way through a city, in torrential rain, across cobblestones & tram tracks.
Funniest moment- my mate remarking on the ..erm.. physical attributes of the girl behind the counter in a bakery, thinking she wouldn't understand -then her telling him she came from Scarborough.
We very nearly died before we'd left the ferry terminal at Ostend, Belgiumshire, when I turned the wrong way on the roundabout.

Looking forward to following your adventure Rod!  Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 10:52:32 PM »

I went to Normandy several times on bikes with my club, and once to a rally in Brittany with some friends, and we used to go every year with car just for a few days.  Never got very adventurous, Normandy is nice and close, we went to the same campsite every year cos we liked it, and really got to know the area. (and the food!!!)

When you live near Poole it's always going to be Normandy cos it's just across there >>>>>>>    - a lot nearer than scotland!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 04:26:04 AM »

Smiley PantherShaun also regularly visits the South of France, so might be worth consulting with.

ROD

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 09:38:21 AM »

We've had some really funny moments on our travels by plane /train/buses in Europe . If it can happen,rest assured it will to us! Grin Never been to France ,not even on a day trip,so all new to us. Just a case of waffling our way through like weve always done in other parts. Roll Eyes As long as we dont fall foul of the gendarmes for some silly traffic violation!
  Its a little way off yet,but it will soon come round to departure time,and as usual ,just like building the trike,Im thinking of every eventuality!
   Will be taking lots of pics along the way ,and hopefully showing the MM colours at various locations! You still got T shirts in stock Andy?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:40:56 AM by ROD » Logged
Chevy Rick

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 09:56:03 AM »

Grin The way the weather is looking Rod you might need MMM Hoodies Undecided
nabsim

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »

I haven't been for a few years now Rod but want to get over there again. The French love bikes of any sort so I would they they will be the same with trikes. We always used to put a Union Jack sticker on the front of our bikes/fairings so anyone could see at a glance we were from the UK, gendarmes used to see it and wave us through usually Smiley

Just one thing going back to the crossing, I expect the numberplate recognition stuff they have works of the front number plate as you drive towards it so it wont work on a trike or bike.

hunter

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »

reverse on. Grin

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 03:25:25 PM »

"You still got T shirts in stock Andy"?

Ohh yusss.

nabsim

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »

reverse on. Grin

lol, good thinking Hunter Smiley

rob62

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »

NOTICE TO ALL BIKERS COMING TO FRANCE THIS SUMMER! From 1st July it will be compulsory for all motorists and motorcyclists to carry an alco-test with them, failure to do so will result in an on the spot fine of 70 Euros, and if you cant pay, the cops WILL seize possession of your bike until you pay up! Check points will be wide spread during July/August so dont get caught out! You can buy them in Boots and most supermarket chains in the UK or most supermarkets over here, price varies between 1 and 2 Euros!Just be prepared folks, wouldn't like to see anybodies holiday ride ruined for the sake of 2 quid!

just seen this on FB...dont know how true it is but worth checking out.
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »

I've heard that too!

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
spanners

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 04:59:15 PM »

F##K'NG FROGS/EUROPE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
ROD

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 05:03:53 PM »

And thats a great reminder Rob62! I read about this sometime back,but forgot all about it! Must put it on my list! Also think that theres a specially stamped type you need for France? Apparently best to buy 2,so that if you do check yourself/or get stopped and told to use one,you'll still have another spare.

update!...Theres a lot more to this . The law starts in July,but they are not fining for it until the 'grace' time up to November comes up.Im not taking a chance on trying to argue with them about the law,so Im getting them anyway! They recommend that you have 2 units.Units must have the test strip stamped 'NF' .I think the disposable ones (you can buy machines) have a shelf life of 12 months.They are cheaper 'over there' ,but as usual we pay through the nose over here (about £4.99 for two in a pack) Apparently available at the ports/tunnels,but Im going to look in Chemists round here.(You can imagine as youre queuing for the ferry etc a bloke is coming along the line selling them on the black market!) There are different strengths. The 'normal' driver one is 0.05BAC. Commercial drivers ones are rated lower.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:08:09 PM by ROD » Logged
ROD

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 06:10:57 PM »

Does anyone know anything about the 'law 'regarding having your helmet(snigger) marked with dayglo strips at rear and side? Was told it was compulsory,but cant find owt on it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:12:33 PM by ROD » Logged
tbone

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »

It`s all this sort of crap that makes a good case for holidaying in the UK.

By the way, have a great time Rod  Grin

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: