May 12, 2024, 09:57:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: rods adventurous trip..a sort of blog  (Read 24365 times)
ROD

« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2012, 10:55:55 AM »

So we've been deciding our next years trip already! Its gonna be a ferry to Bilbao/Santander to take us straight in to the heat,then ride back up the coast over the course of 2 or 3 weeks,and home by The shuttle. Woohoo! can't wait! Grin
  Only thing we havent decided is if it will be on the trike,or do I get a kit car? Fancy a sort of '30's roadster,but they are all looking too expensive.! Decisions,decisions!
The North

« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2012, 11:26:26 AM »

There are usually a few Marlins on Ebay, but seem to be drying up a little lately.
There is a Mtype here All Marina suspension, as the 1275 engine and its a LWB so you will get in to it and carry more.
 Its worth no more than600 700 absolute tops. not his asking price but you could offer him . They have shot up this last couple of years though, and if registered properly and not on a dodgey marina or triumph log book when they are super tidy they can fetch silly money, but not to me.
 The IVA is around the 400 mark and 90 if you fail, so that as to be taken into account.
 But the car sounds to be new apart from standing and back in the day when genuine bits for BLs were cheap people tended to go wild  and replace absolutely everything regardless. So it could be like  brand new mechanically too.
 Marlins are tough forget the marina donor they hold together ehere many more respected cars fall apart on trials, and compete for decades often passed around and bought back by the original builder.
  If you can come in at 1200 for a registered car built of new stuff and its nearly complete you are doing ok.
 An assembled road registered (marlin on the log book) used one that's been used a fair bit no more than 900 may be a shade more if well taxed and tested. .
Marlin listing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marlin-Kit-car-Unfinished-project-long-wheelbase-spares-or-repair-/180957166249?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a21e33aa9

ROD

« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2012, 05:14:17 PM »

Seen the e bay one,but I just cant be doing with all the finishing ...and then theres the SVA! Apparently,they werent designed with sva in mind,and can be a pain to get through.Ive looked for ages now,and cant find one that is reg'd correctly,a bit tatty and is cheap. Sometimes I wonder how they can justify the prices asked! Theres one up for £1200,supposedly correctly reg'd,in process of being rebuilt . It would be nice to think that it could be finished for a couple hundred quid,but realistically I know it will end up costing £800 to finish. So thats 2K. For around 2750 I could get a reasonable T&T on the road Marlin. P'raps there are people out there ho think it can all be done on a shoestringand thats why there are chancers on the high prices!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2012, 09:07:47 PM »

You've built a trike from nothing & proved it's road worthiness by touring the continent on it -why would you want someone else's second hand cast-off?
Fine tune what you've got, experiment with seating, luggage etc, collect together a few spares & maybe invest in a small trailer? Spend some of the money you'll save by not buying a car on extra clothing or better quality wet weather gear.
I'd say- travel by trike.  Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ROD

« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2012, 03:45:19 AM »

'tis true Andy,but I need a car anyway.
The North

« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »

Seen the e bay one,but I just cant be doing with all the finishing ...and then theres the SVA! Apparently,they werent designed with sva in mind,and can be a pain to get through.Ive looked for ages now,and cant find one that is reg'd correctly,a bit tatty and is cheap. Sometimes I wonder how they can justify the prices asked! Theres one up for £1200,supposedly correctly reg'd,in process of being rebuilt . It would be nice to think that it could be finished for a couple hundred quid,but realistically I know it will end up costing £800 to finish. So thats 2K. For around 2750 I could get a reasonable T&T on the road Marlin. P'raps there are people out there ho think it can all be done on a shoestringand thats why there are chancers on the high prices!

There is always the possibility of people taking a chance on doing a marlin on the cheap. And you are right to be cautious. I also think a deciding factor on price  is the fact a lot of marlins are indeed trials cars and many run in class 7 and want to stay there, so they have to upkeep full marlin wings if they don't they technically are in to class 8 against fugitives specials and the like. basically then you have no chance.
  So M types Marina based marlins will command high prices especially if new like the one on eBay.  The T type triumph bassed are cheaper because they dont lend themselves to trials any way as good as the Marina model. So you realy need to be looking at a triumph based car to be in with a chance of getting one cheapish with proper documents.
 I buy M types complete but unregistered like the ebay  for 500 pound all day long when i am needing parts for repair or rebuild.
 That car on ebay if you look at it from the perspective of a trials builder who lets say already has a marlin in good prepared  condition and needs a pair of near side wings a near side engine cover  door  and a bonnet  due to a scenery induced transformation  Grin
The parts are rare they do come up but not often buying a car helps with available cheap spares this is not a mute point.
So he buys the car for lets say 500. another hundered in  fuel to get it home, once home its unused rusty bolts will be hopefully few and far between, and it will fly apart striped in a morning, they are a jig saw puzle and bolt together simple made a landrover look complex.
 In a big heap that 1275 ebay start it at 100 but take the backplate off they are gold or may as well be look at my wanteds. the engine will go most probably to either a midget man a mogy though man or a marina man, the midget and moggy wont want the backplate and the marina will stil have his. that engine will do 150 to 175 no worries. the rear axle no use to a trialer they use the 575 axles  that will do 100 on ebay caterhams use them and marinas and they do fail.The box 10 to 20, the prop 10 the rack 10 to 15 the tank its imp or esscort 1/2van estate and will do 50 may be more and generally they are brand new.
 the colum switches a 10 the column 10 the rad 10 and the alternator starter 10 each you wont need the rack for trials thats another 30 the clocks a 10 and hood and side screens 80 to 100, rear springs a tener 4 new shockers useless to you for trials 20.
Now these are not over enthusiastic prices, but even with a reduction and knocking off ebays fees you are looking at clearing 300 to 350 on the bits any day. So you have a brand new spare body back end doors wings inner tin work bonnet engine covers rack covers grille and surround bulkhead with master and slave s you can use new flexy hose you need and a stainless marlin side exhaust worth 50 you can use pluss all the engine mount plates brackets electrical parts and fixings all brand new for 250 and may be 300 on a bad day. .
 Sorry to post a chapter, but its this aspect of marlins and to some extent other kit cars that are as popular in trials, that keep prices looking high.
 You need a triumph based car its your best option with economy in mind and they are a very strong chassis and with the screen surround roll bar safe too. .
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:55:56 AM by The North » Logged
The North

« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2012, 11:18:21 AM »

And just looking on my old watch list on ebay I know you said you did not want the work to finnish it off, but you might change your mind if you got it for a penitence. i think this is that same car never made 50. now its may be under new ownership but i think he is just chancing his hand.  I duno but i have a gut feeling this could go very cheap, if you bid him silly he may just take it. bid 150 or 200 see what happens theres a number on the new add i think talk to his head see what happens.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300765517598?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: