May 12, 2024, 09:20:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: rods adventurous trip..a sort of blog  (Read 24364 times)
ROD

« on: June 07, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »

Well,its adventurous to me anyway!After all my deliberations about driving in France, Ive finally booked the trike on Eurotunnel for a long weekend in France.We've chosen a hotel about 10 miles west of Calais,on the coast,just to get a taster of the roads etc.If it goes well ,I'll venture a bit further during the couple of days we're there,if not we'll stay put.
 I phoned Eurotunnel,apparently it has to go as a car,therefore more expensive,but Im going to try to verify this and if necessary change the booking...UPDATE..it has to go as a car. It cost me £109 return.
 I need to speak to my insurance broker re the trike insurance. Also speak to AA re the cover for over there.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:08:50 PM by ROD » Logged
spanners

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »

Well,its adventurous to me anyway!After all my deliberations about driving in France, Ive finally booked the trike on Eurotunnel for a long weekend in France.We've chosen a hotel about 10 miles west of Calais,on the coast,just to get a taster of the roads etc.If it goes well ,I'll venture a bit further during the couple of days we're there,if not we'll stay put.
 I phoned Eurotunnel,apparently it has to go as a car,therefore more expensive,but Im going to try to verify this and if necessary change the booking.
 I need to speak to my insurance broker re the trike insurance. Also speak to AA re the cover for over there.

whooo,,,hoooo a manky monkey go,s to europe  ,,more storage needed for the ,,plonk,,, on the way back  Wink Wink Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:34:17 PM »

Even if it has to go as a car on Eurotunnel that's probably cheaper than using a ferry, tho you might check what it costs on DFDS.

Personally I think a ferry is better than the tunnel cos your holiday starts when you get on board, even if it takes longer.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
ROD

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »

Been busy.....
 Vehicle Insurance....Im covered for 90 days abroad,therefore no extra charge to the policy
  AA Membership...this is extra to my normal AA in UK.Works out about £10/day for France,Im not sure if more expensive for Italy etc.(Will find out next year about that,as I intend to go down to Italy,or maybe Spain then if I get on OK with the driving this time!)They recover back to my UK address if they cant fix it.I s'pose that should read "If I cant fix it using their tools!" Grin so not bad for the price to have peace of mind.
 Going to get together a folder with details and part numbers of all significant parts just in case.
 Also a MMM telephone number or two,just in case I need advice on some stupid failure I cant suss out!
 Next need to look at what documents Im legally required to carry on me.EG driving licence etc.
nabsim

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:45:28 PM »

Rod dont forget to take your NHS cards with you matey, cant think of the name now, it used to be the E111 but it is now a card and you can do it online. I have the link somewhere, will find and add it here Wink

ROD

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 12:45:56 PM »

I agree BG,but Im prone to travel puking on boats,so maybe not such a good thing if it takes me time to recover when Ive got off the ferry,while I wander round with my face looking like the 'scream mask' ! Grin
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:58:09 PM by ROD » Logged
nabsim

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:47:40 PM »

Here you go http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

Okay so looks like its the EHIC now Smiley

ROD

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »

Good thinking!I think we have a sort of card for that now? Will ask SWMBO,she'll have them stashed somewhere Grin!
 Was also reminded by Eurotunnel woman not to forget my passport!
 Apparently your booking details automatically come up as you approach the toll booths from no plt recognition cams,but if theres a prob(and you can bet your life I'll have one Grin)they scan your credit card to check the booking.
 M20 jUNC 11A TAKES YOU STRAIGHT TO TOLLS ,AND YOU HAVE TO BE THERE APPROX 1/2 HR BEFORE.(OOPS CAPS!)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:07:33 PM by ROD » Logged
ROD

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »

Checked the e111 thing ,its the same type as in the link pic.

So what about ordinary holiday travel insurance ? Does this cover for motorcycling ? Will check....

Must remember to take some tabs for calming me down on the train going there,as I'll be s****ing myself about driving over there! Grin Grin
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:05:35 PM by ROD » Logged
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:19:32 PM »

Driving on the right is much easier on a bike or trike than in a car, have to be extra careful at road junction particularly dual carriageway ones, just take your time - they can all see you're a stupid foreigner anyway!   Also have to remind yourself first time you go out in the morning - not so bad on a busy road with other traffic but on an empty road I've been know to dive down the wrong side!

You going on your own?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
ROD

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 01:33:52 PM »

Someone else told me it was easier on a trike as youre more central to the lane you are in.
Not on own... swmbo on the pillion!...gotta have somone to swear at and blame when it all goes tits up! Grin

Additional to Nabsim's E111 (or whatever theyre called nowadays)reminder...turns out our ones have run out,so Ive re applied on line!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:39:09 PM by ROD » Logged
zakboy

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »

good luck on the trip ROD  Smiley

Give me the strength to except the things in life i can not change
hunter

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 04:11:02 PM »

Have a nice one mate,Don't eat to many legs Grin

I
nabsim

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 06:07:33 PM »

I only ever had problems coming out of car parks for some reason, I always wanted to drive on the left then. Is much easier than you think it will be Rod, I had the disadvantage of sidecar which was then on wrong side but was great fun thats why we kept going so often Smiley

Make sure you have green card, its so much easier if the worst happens because it is a translation of what you have here. You didnt need a cardnet(?) last time I was over there but that was a few years ago, worth checking if you do or not, its a bond. I believe you now need a helmet and you need a flourescent vest/jacket in France but again not sure so best check Smiley

merv

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »

you will have a good time  and then wondered what all the fuss was about,
wished i was going i love France

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: