May 12, 2024, 11:39:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Sabre rattling.  (Read 23850 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2006, 09:44:01 PM »

Well, I tried the woolly exhaust baffle idea today.
Took the silencers off & pushed a wad of steel wool down into them from the front end so it's trapped behind the baffle plate & hopefully won't blow straight out! Wasn't sure how much I could pack in there before I actually blocked the pipe so didn't overdo it.
Result? Well, it's still quite loud but it's taken the edge off it -not such a sharp bark as it was.
I've booked the MOT for Friday morning!  Shocked

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2006, 09:49:02 PM »

ooooooh...

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2006, 09:58:32 PM »

Cheesy
Yup, fingers crossed eh!
Haven't MOT'd anything for ages. I've been all round the Honda & can't see anything obvious it could fail on, so I'll wait & see what they say. If it passes I'll be able to ride it to London on Sunday. Ska man, Flap & I are taking a gentle meander up the M3 to the Ace Cafe. It's British V day there I think, but our mission is actually to take some snaps of Flap's orange beastie for the site & possibly one of the bike mags. There's a factory unit on the way into London off the M3 that's whitewashed with big floor to ceiling bright orange windows. If we spot it we'll pull in there, then carry on to the Ace for brekkie. I think Janie & Dave & maybe Jacko are joining us too. Anyone else is welcome to come along for the ride.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2006, 08:13:58 PM »

Took the bike down to the local bike shop this afternoon & left it there, ready for it's MOT tomorrow morning. Got halfway there & ran out of petrol! Oh, the indignity of it  Sad Fortunately Nige came to the rescue with a canful.
It's running very lumpily -is that a proper word? but pulls pretty well. The mechanic reckons it may need re-jetting or the carb needles lifting a notch.
So, will it pass? Watch this space.

lunatic

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2006, 11:21:15 AM »

Well? Come on dont keep us in suspense!
lunatic

« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2006, 04:54:06 PM »

Well, its either passed and you have been hooning around the countryside or.....You;ve been in the garage all afternoon fixing it!
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2006, 06:04:37 PM »

Hope it went well Andy look forward to meeting you again, perhaps you would like to retake the photo's of the Trike sometime now your hopefully out and about.

We have a few disused airfields around here perhaps one weekend you fancy a bit of a run or even meet halfway perhaps.

Here's a picture of a cap I use to keep the water out of my exhaust when it's raining (she runs quite nicely with it left on too.

It's a 75mm Shell fron 1942 was an ashtray and used coz I'm meant to be trying to give up before the new year. (according to 'ER indoors.)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 06:08:51 PM by TwistedPatience » Logged

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2006, 07:27:37 PM »

Hiya Doc. Yeah, would be good to meet up again. We're off to the Ace Cafe for breakfast on Sunday morning if you've got nothing to do!

NO, 'fraid it didn't pass.  Sad

Wasn't really sure it would, so not a total suprise, but no free re-test & with my finances as tight as they are, it'll be several weeks before I can sort out the probs & get it tested again.
The local bike shop, ("Just Motorcycles" of Basingstoke), is run by a couple of guys who are "proper" bikers, rather than jobsworths -they're into streetfighters & were pretty fair, so no complaints.
So -failure points:
Despite my best efforts, the exhausts were just too loud. 105 decibels to be precise. They said they'd have turned a deaf ear to anything up to 100 or even if the note was a little deeper, but it's just too much of a sharp bark. Fair enough. Annoying cos I paid out 50 quid for a new pair of aftermarket silencers, but I'm sure they'll find a home on some other project -with a quieter engine! So I'm now looking for a very cheap pair of standard Harley tapered mufflers. Exactly the same design as my ones but much more baffling. If anyone has a pair for less than £2.50 let me know please!
The tester's off to the Stafford autojumble this weekend & actually said he'd look out for some for me.
Next, the headlight. It's a cheap Chinese copy of a 125 Yam light & has no beam pattern -just a big splodge of light. It's supposed to cut off straight or kick up to the left but mine would dazzle oncoming traffic. Again, fair enough & easy enough to fix with the Bates light I planned to fit on Simon's trike, which is conveniently already powdercoated black, but it used to live on my green trike & passed 4 MOTs with no problem.
The seat's held with the original plastic lug at the front that tucks under the tank, & heavy duty Velcro at the back that sticks it very well to the frame rails. Yeah, O.K, maybe that was daft, but it's pretty solid unless you physically rip it off. Not good enough & I can't argue with that, so it needs a metal securing tab self tapped to the underside & the mudguard. They also deemed the seat long enough to be a dual seat, although the back end only covers the leccy stuff underneath & would be bloody uncomfortable -so I need to fit passenger footpegs. Again, if anyone's got some cheap old moped ones they don't want, sling 'em my way please.
Finally they gave me an advisory on the soft front suspension -it doesn't return very well, although we buggered about with it for ages trying to improve it. The testing chappies were O.K about it though & said it's normal for them so no problem.
So that's it. No ride to London for me on Sunday. I'll have to bum a lift with Ska Man instead. Nothing major & all fixable although the pipes may take a while to track down & pay for. Riding to the test station I gave it a bit of a blast & it picks up really well. A bit of popping & banging on the over-run & the tickover's a little erratic, but some decent silencers would probably sort that out. Otherwise, a nice little runabout.
Only trouble is I'm kinda bored with it now! I've got back into my trike build & can't wait to ride that & have my battered old van for daily transport over the Winter, so the bike's not really a priority. The paperwork's cost more than the bike's worth & other than a local toy run I want to attend in December, I probably won't get much use from it.
Do I keep it sat outside my flat for the days I fancy a blast? (I reckon it'll be pretty reliable & does go well), or flog it for 3 or 400 quid & use the cash to finish the trike?
Can't decide.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 10:34:56 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2006, 09:01:39 PM »

Keep it cos spring will be here before you know it, and you'll be wanting something to ride again, then you'll have to go thru the whole process again!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
TwistedPatience

« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2006, 09:02:33 PM »

Keep it till you know the trike is nearly finished then sell.

just making a sound system for mine using sn MP3  player and a 3watt amp from maplins.

Like wot Bobbi said

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2006, 09:07:20 PM »

Don't intend building another (trike) -at least not for myself, so trying to get it as right as I can.  Planning on just building it & keeping it for ever & ever.   

Specially since the above comes under the heading of "Famous Last Words" !

Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2006, 09:10:04 PM »

Grin
Ahh, you know me too well Bobbette!
O.K, looks like I'm keeping it then! So -anyone know where I can find some very cheap genuine Harley silencers? The ones people usually take off & replace with something louder? I'll have to browse Ebay later.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2006, 09:23:54 PM »

Bobbette

Grrrrrrr!

You have gone beyond the line!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2006, 09:27:25 PM »

Ooops!  Grin

TwistedPatience

« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2006, 11:44:14 PM »

looks like your in trouble now!!!  Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: