May 11, 2024, 07:17:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sabre rattling.  (Read 23839 times)
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2006, 08:24:40 PM »

ooooohh Manky(ette) what have you said !! Roll Eyes

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2006, 08:34:36 PM »

*sigh*
Manky's in trouble again.  Sad

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2006, 08:36:23 PM »

Roll Eyes Grin

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2006, 10:31:05 PM »

Right. An update on the Honda.
Flap & I spent an hour or so messing about with it today.
I dug out the black powder coated bottom mount halogen Bates headlight I'd intended to fit on Simon's trike. He decided he preferred a chrome one so it was going spare. Some head scratching & crimping & plugging & we had it all wired up & working. Amazingly nothing's caught fire yet, so I guess we got it right. The wires around the headstock need tidying up & taping together now. We also sorted out the non functioning horn. Turned out it needed to be insulated from the rest of the bike frame.
Next was the silencers. Rob, a member of the Brit Chopper forum, sent me a pair of second hand Harley pipes for the cost of the postage, (10 quid). Nice to know there's still some decent people out there. So Now I can replace the loud custom pipes with something more MOT friendly. The Harley ones weigh a ton -loads of baffling in them. Should do the trick.
I've found the original Honda pillion pegs so once the pipes are on & the seat secured I'll be able to book another MOT.
Getting there, slowly. Total cost is still around 200 quid.   
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 10:27:03 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2006, 05:31:22 PM »

Too dark to take piccies by the time we'd finished, but Mr Flap & I have been a-tinkering with the Honda today. A successful day's bodging. We replaced the original radiator header bottle under the side panel. It meant shuffling the electrical components about but s'O.K now. Then we slapped a load of insulation tape around the bunch of wires up by the headstock, fitted the rear footpegs I dug back out of the dustbin, & slipped on the standard Harley Sportster silencers given to me for free by Rob of the Brit Chopper forum. Last job was to knock up a strap to secure the back of the saddle to the rear guard. That's done & spray painted so ready to fit once the paint's dry.
Sorted. That's all the stipulations of the first MOT failure covered, so I'll book it back in next week. The new Harley pipes aren't whisper quiet, but certainly not as ear-bleedingly loud as the aftermarket ones I had before, so should keep Mr MOT happy. Total outlay, still less than 200 quid.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 11:16:55 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2006, 10:48:06 AM »

*Sigh*
Right, I've decided to call a halt to this one.
After fixing 2 or 3 MOT failure points, I took the Honda back to the bike shop for a retest & left it there last night, to be tested this morning.
Went back to collect it. Another disaster. I'd left the petrol tap on & when the mechanics arrived this morning they found their shop awash with petrol. An instant failure anyway, but they couldn't start it cos the bore, airbox & silencers were literally dripping in fuel. Fortunately they didn't charge me for another test.
AAARRRGGGHHH!!
I've had enough of this bloody bike now. It's bound to be just a sticky carb or something & I've spent less than 200 quid on it, but it's just not worth throwing more time or money at it. After years of owning endless tatty bikes I now recognise when it's time to just walk away. The tax, insurance & MOT have already cost me more than the bike's worth.
Having been left to dry out it rode home fine, but I've switched off from it now. No longer interested.
So. Anyone want a VF750 Honda shaftie for 200 quid? Failing that I'll break it, keep the front end, Bates light, mirrors, silencers etc & sell or scrap the rest.
The motor would make a nice trike lump.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: