May 15, 2024, 10:22:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mitsubishi Shogun 2.8td help needed.  (Read 5744 times)
melosman

« on: October 04, 2015, 08:53:52 PM »

A chap near me is selling a 1998 Shogun 2.8td at a super low price. Now according to him it needs a fuel pump which is why it is so cheap (£350) again, according to him, it's because he has been using some red diesel mixed with diesel they use on plant machinery. Would this cause the pump to fail? I have seen repair/reseal kits quite cheaply or will it be beyond repair? I don't mind saving for a re-con pump but would prefer to repair myself if possible as it's £460 cheaper if it can be fixed. He has owned this thing since it was 2 years old and the pump failed shortly after using the agriculteral fuel, coincidence? Done only 105k

Mendalot

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 09:49:08 PM »

The RED side of it is a dye, purely to help VOSA and the like catch people who are using Agricultural or Marine diesel in normal road vehicles. This is due to the fact that Agricultural diesel has a lot less tax on it.  Years ago there were variants of Agricultural diesel, but I would presume that with all modern agricultural engines, the diesel would have to be top notch as standard now. 
I would be surprised if using a mixture would damadge a pump, unless the Diesel was contaminated somehow.  But I stand to be corrected Wink

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
spanners

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 07:54:22 AM »

red diesel my ass,,

idiot has had it on kerosene a nd burnt the pump out as ,kero, is to dry and dosnt ,lube, the pump as it passes through so the pump runs hot and wears every little
total replacement is the only fix along with a set of injectors,,

not really worth the cost

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
hunter

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:08:32 AM »

I'm with spanners on this,
Red will have no effect on the pump.

I
melosman

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 12:11:21 PM »

red diesel my ass,,

idiot has had it on kerosene a nd burnt the pump out as ,kero, is to dry and dosnt ,lube, the pump as it passes through so the pump runs hot and wears every little
total replacement is the only fix along with a set of injectors,,

not really worth the cost

The tank does have red in it, just syphoned a little out as I've bought it. Going to take the pump apart to check, may as, nothing to lose.

melosman

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 12:15:17 PM »

The RED side of it is a dye, purely to help VOSA and the like catch people who are using Agricultural or Marine diesel in normal road vehicles. This is due to the fact that Agricultural diesel has a lot less tax on it.  Years ago there were variants of Agricultural diesel, but I would presume that with all modern agricultural engines, the diesel would have to be top notch as standard now. 
I would be surprised if using a mixture would damadge a pump, unless the Diesel was contaminated somehow.  But I stand to be corrected Wink
The dye was originally used during the war as buses and farmers etc didn't have fuel restrictions and the government kept it up since. Apparently there is something called carbon offset diesel. https://www.crownoiluk.com/products/green-diesel-oil-fuels/

melosman

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »

UPDATE!!!! Drained the tank, put a few gallons in, new fuel filter, charged battery, ptimed it and nothing else. Put the key in and waited for the glow plug light to go out, turned everything of, did it again and tried to start it, foot to the floor and it coughed in to life within seconds, after about 10 seconds was running soundly no smoke, no crap coming out of the exhaust, picks up superbly on a very, very short 200 yard test drive. Unless you give it some real grief when stationary there is no smoke out of the exhaust, when revving stupidly there is a bit of black (to be expected) but this car hasn't run for over a year so I'm quite happy. Minor concerns: when cranking it seems to crank really quickly and when it fires up it takes a few seconds to pick up on all 4 cylinders, wondering if head gasket has gone? Going to drain everything and top up to what happens.

melosman

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 02:15:26 PM »

UPDATE!!!! Drained the tank, put a few gallons in, new fuel filter, charged battery, ptimed it and nothing else. Put the key in and waited for the glow plug light to go out, turned everything of, did it again and tried to start it, foot to the floor and it coughed in to life within seconds, after about 10 seconds was running soundly no smoke, no crap coming out of the exhaust, picks up superbly on a very, very short 200 yard test drive. Unless you give it some real grief when stationary there is no smoke out of the exhaust, when revving stupidly there is a bit of black (to be expected) but this car hasn't run for over a year so I'm quite happy. Minor concerns: when cranking it seems to crank really quickly and when it fires up it takes a few seconds to pick up on all 4 cylinders, wondering if head gasket has gone? Going to drain everything and top up to what happens.
Looks like the head gasket has gone due to a faulty thermostat, better than a knackered pump I suppose.

spanners

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »

DONT fit a recon head ==buy new and  DONT buy a cheap head they are sh1te and made in china ,,, also change all head bolts plus the water pump and fit a ,super cool, ally ,tig welded rad

dont skrimp,  youlle only have it fook up and have to re-do it

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
spanners

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 05:49:22 PM »

just to add

if you buy the right parts at the right price it will cost just under £600 in parts alone  any cheaper and youre cutting corners with cheap sh1t parts

i know as i,v done enough of   them ..

melosman

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 06:42:36 PM »

Getting head skimmed, buying a head set with bolts not changing water pump as it's not that old and it's not driven by a timing belt, then it's going up for sale.

spanners

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »

Getting head skimmed, buying a head set with bolts not changing water pump as it's not that old and it's not driven by a timing belt, then it's going up for sale.

false ecomany,,==god helps who buys it ,,,,

melosman

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 07:52:07 PM »

Don't see why the head needs replacing just because the gasket has gone and why replace a 2 year old rad that is in perfect condition?

spanners

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 12:25:31 AM »

Don't see why the head needs replacing just because the gasket has gone and why replace a 2 year old rad that is in perfect condition?

2.8 heads are never any good second time around  and dont got off any books /tech data publications for the torque settings  look up the owners club  or better still .POCUK.. the pajero owners club uk as they have far better and more detailed specs and knowledge

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: