May 21, 2024, 10:58:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Twin XS650 twin  (Read 8309 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: March 09, 2011, 07:16:51 PM »

Off work with a heavy cold today & bored.
Found this on Ebay. A shop in the States is selling the fuel tank, but I was kinda taken by the bike it's sitting on.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:17:21 PM »

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »

Interesting.... But ugly.

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »

Manky - you is odd!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
dobber

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 08:53:10 PM »

only time iv seen the two engines togeather like that was on specials for french hill climbing. like icelandic 4x4 without the roll cage.

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Tony oily bike

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:12:47 PM »

only time iv seen the two engines togeather like that was on specials for french hill climbing. like icelandic 4x4 without the roll cage.

a few multi-engined bikes on this thread.............
http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8535.0

re the double XS
Mmmmm, now that's got a lot of potential....... Guess it would need a transfer chain from engine #1 to #2 and then run the gearbox and clutch from #2  (as there's kick start shaft on #2)...... alternativly bypass both gearboxes and put a separate gearbox/clutch

Seen twin-engined Triumphs & Nortons but not an excess before.

Wouldn't mind running that down the ¼.  Grin

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
voodoo

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »

Nope looks daft to me..just go buy a bloody 1200 motor and stop F***ing about is what i say!...Voodoo...

Custom Paint Spraying...
English by Birth..Biker by choice....
Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional....
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:52:09 PM »

And I thought you guys were open minded about unusual motors  Smiley
I've never quite figured out how twin engined machines work. Just how do you link two engines together? Is the final drive chain of the front one hooked up to the crank of the second? Or to the final drive cog of the second? Doesn't that put the second engine under twice as much strain as the first? Do you have a single coil/points setup, with two sets of HT leads? Presumably you'd take the gearbox out of the first & rely on the one in the second?

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:09:57 PM »

Twin engined Triumph sprinters, often supercharged! were popular in the 60's Mr. M.The motors were invariably pre-unit with the front motor coupled to rear via the primary drives,chain or Gilmer belt, and final drive off the single, often Norton or Albion gearbox. The engines ran independantly, but care in matching their carburation/injection systems, and ignition systems was essential....Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »

http://www.thechopperunderground.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50363
thats its build thread

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »

Can't see the photos without joining the forum, but certainly sounds like the guy knows what he's doing.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »

And I thought you guys were open minded about unusual motors  Smiley
I've never quite figured out how twin engined machines work. Just how do you link two engines together? Is the final drive chain of the front one hooked up to the crank of the second? Or to the final drive cog of the second? Doesn't that put the second engine under twice as much strain as the first? Do you have a single coil/points setup, with two sets of HT leads? Presumably you'd take the gearbox out of the first & rely on the one in the second?

Morrag’s quite right.
It’s worth noting that when describing these things, terminology is important.

For instance. ‘Engine’ on a current jap bike (‘unit’ construction) tends to include the gearbox and clutch (so the engine and gearbox are a unit). There’s only one chain visible (the final drive chain) which goes from the gearbox sprocket to the drive wheel, which makes this chain gearbox-speed dependant.

‘Engine’ on a pre-unit bike (which is basically all the early British and the current big Harleys), is literally the lumpy bits that bolt onto the crank and make it go round & round.
There is then a chain/belt called the primary drive (this is running at engine speed) that connects the engine to the gearbox/clutch.
There is then a second chain/belt (final drive) which runs at gearbox speed to the drive wheel (same as for the unit/Japanese bikes above).

When folk wanted more power ‘back in the day’ it was a matter of tuning and cubes, however the biggest British bikes around 650/750/850 cc. So once the engine was tuned to the hilt (including superchargers), what was left……..  Answer – add another engine. (Busas, GSXRs Z’s were a few years off).

When the drag boys were coupling up these pre-unit engines in the 60s/70’s, they were using the largest engines that were available to them.
At the time the XS650 was first made (and for a year or so after too), it was Yamahas largest road going motorcycle. So the choice to go and get a bigger lump if you wanted Yamaha basically didn’t exist.

When the pre-unit lumps were connected together, a connecting chain went between the crankshaft sprockets of both engines.
Each engine had its own ignition (magneto way back then) and own carbs, which meant set-up was important to try and balance the power from the two engines so they worked together as opposed to against each other (debate still resides today about this).
This combined power was then fed from an extra sprocket on the crank of the rear engine, via a primary drive chain, to a gearbox bolted somewhere on the frame.
You now have to realise that this gearbox was taking the power from two engines so had to put up with a lot, so a strong gearbox and clutch was definitely order-of-the-day, hence the choices Morrag said.

Kick starts on the older bikes work by going through the gearbox/primary chain to the engine, so when you have two engines, kick starting becomes less-easy, so bikes were either push-started, or put on rollers to turn the engines over and fire ‘em into life.

It looks like this double-excess may have had the gearbox from the front engine removed, which implies its either going to use the rear-engine’s gearbox, or, it’ll have the rear gearbox removed as well and use a separate gearbox.
These motors can be made very strong, the grass track brigade take ‘em out to something like 1100/1200cc (??) on their outfits, so I’m guessing that the gearbox could be made to cope with 1300cc ?? As my mate dslam says, its got two choices!

Hope that helps Mr Manky sir.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:14:47 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 12:56:20 PM »

its a great forum for xs650 stuff.
most of their tech stuff is xs650
engine mods and all sort of cool stuff
and ...............stuff
downside is they are yanks
hes got some sponsership for the bike now and is thinking maybe a preunit gearbox

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 01:52:53 PM »

Interesting, ver-r-ry interesting.

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 04:01:30 PM »

Not a bad description Tony, though I doubt that the Vincent or J.A.P brigade would have agreed with you on "available max. engine size"! check out George Brown's Super Nero, and Alfie Hagon's jumbo V twin sprinters, and with the state of tune of these beasts, kickstarting was never an option, believe me! Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: