May 16, 2024, 12:34:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Handlebar grips help please!  (Read 1447 times)
RODeo

« on: June 30, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »

Ive now got a set of handlebar controls,and am wondering when I buy replacement grips for them ,how the l/hand grip fits on to the handlebar? Does it go on like a pushbike grip straight onto the bars,or is it more technical? Also the throttle side must be larger diam to fit over the twist grip? Whats the best type to get? Rubber? Plastic? Do the foam type soak up the water?The ones that have aly end pieces,I presume stick on to the bars?
   Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:45:32 AM by RODeo » Logged
Cabman77

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:58:21 PM »

They all just push on but get the right size they are either for 1" bars or 7/8" bars. One is bigger to go over the throttle assembly. You can get a glue type stuff to put in them to stop any slipping but I`ve never used it and never had any slip on me. I`ve always found the foam ones more comfortable than most others. Rubber ones , believe it or not, have always let more vibration through in my experience. I did have a set of chrome metal ones with "O" rings on them and they were surprisingly comfortable if a little cold in the winter. I might have a pair of 7/8" Ducati rubber ones with gold anodised bits on them, but I`d have to check. Yours if you want them
 Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 04:05:39 PM »

Top Manky tip of the day:
use ladyfolk's type hairspray to fit the grips. A quick squirt into each grip will lubricate them so they slide on easily, then it sets like a glue, holding them in place. Makes your bike smell nice too.  Tongue

How long have you been using women's hairspray Andy?
Since the missus found a can of it in me shed.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 06:10:01 PM »

Found foam ones started to shred after a while, and yes, they also acted like a sponge when it was wet.
Mine had 'chrome lookalike' end caps that was held in by a sort of plastic bung/plug. The ones I had weren't impressive, but that was abut 10+ years ago.

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: