May 12, 2024, 10:55:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Ariel  (Read 29320 times)
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« on: January 16, 2013, 10:40:45 PM »

been a while since i finished my chop and didnt really know what to do next , a good few months back i aquired the bike you see below ,i never touched it as my dad fancied having a go at restoring an old brit but due to changes in circumstance he has dicided to pass . so i thought i would just punt it on but due to a slight infringment with the evilbays selling rules i ended up not selling it ......... so bugger it ill have a go at doing something with it , nothing to radical though . there are still spares available but getting hard to find certain parts, we dont get a lot of autojumbles up this way so evilbay is my freind for a while .
im starting with a complete strip and rebuild of the engine , gearbox and then carb , the frame is fine and useable as is the yolks handle bars rear springs and front wheel , the tank has a big dent thats right beside the seam on top but hopefully i can sort that . going to be a long build i think Cheesy

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/131.jpg
Ariel
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:27:19 PM by blair » Logged
panthershaun

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »

superb mate, make a nice little Farmster/pub hopper  Cool

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »

Nice. Please tell me you're going to lose the ironing board seat & fit a sprung solo though.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
The North

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »

That bike screams classic Long distance trialer  Wink But you knew that anyway  Grin Grin
   Enjoy doing it no matter what direction you take with it.  Smiley
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:19:24 PM »

Unfortunately, that 'Colt' motor wouldn't pull your 'at off, never mind deal with a muddy observed section!! Grin Grin Grin

Beware the Ides of March, But!
blair

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 09:25:09 PM »

Nice. Please tell me you're going to lose the ironing board seat & fit a sprung solo though.

nit i was thinking of keeping it at the main feature  Tongue

That bike screams classic Long distance trialer  Wink But you knew that anyway  Grin Grin
   Enjoy doing it no matter what direction you take with it.  Smiley

to be honest i think im going for more a lazy bobber with modern bits and peices. got to agree with Morrag , i reckon that it wont have much more power than a cg125  Grin

i do have a question for anyone of a engine mind , the bike has an advance and retard unit that sits behind the points plate , the engine was sat on its side for a long time and water got into this parts of the engine and the unit was a very "fluffy" . the screw heads are well rounded and the other end has been "mashed" , im not sure if this is to act like thread lock or was just the done thing back then , i take it that part of the assembly is suppose to open out as the shaft spins ?

cheers for any advice

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/IMG_1756.jpg
Ariel

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/IMG_1757.jpg
Ariel

do you like the wire being used as a clip  Tongue
The North

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »

Electronic ignition could be a plan not sure if any of the kits could be utilised but would think they could.
  MCC / ACTC classic long distance trials are not technical and power is handy but not essential reliability is as important as anything.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 10:16:07 PM »

That's the Lucas version of an auto, centrifugal, advance/retard unit. Normally, a pair of light springs would hold the "bob" weights in the closed, or fully advanced position. During "snap" throttle opening, the weights would fly out under centrifugal force, against the spring pressure, retarding the ignition under acceleration, simples! when it worked!Where the wire is should be a pair of small external circlips.For the very limited power available from this motor the conventional coil ignition is adequate, and yes, your average Nippon 125 would develop more power, but, what price can you place on a bit of nostalgia!!

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:21:58 PM »

Should look like this!

blair

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »

not entriley sure bout the springs Morrag , there were no springs in there when i opened up the casing and i know a man that been restoring the same bike on another forum and theres no springs on his either , although it does have the same "wire as a clip modification " as mine . must have been a fix of the time . on his owever the end of the threads has not been "mashed" over but i think im correct in my thinking going by what you said that the arm should throw out as the shaft spins up .

im not really bothered about the power to be honest , just having an old brit is god enough for me , one day ill get a big one ... bike that is  Tongue
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 11:34:55 PM »

I'm sure you will enjoy your foray into old Brit. iron! however, without some means of holding the unit in its normal, advanced, condition, I'm not sure how you would effect a retard on accellaration, but perhaps some other member might enlighten you in that regard, Cheers, Morrag

hunter

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 11:52:14 PM »

I'm with morrag on this,It's an auto advance unit The bob weights throw out to retard the ignition,
But must have assistance to return hence the springs,The unit will not work without springs,
Possibly they were fitted under the weights as apposed to being on top as in morrags pic.

I
spanners

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 01:07:42 AM »

just lookin at the picture,s that set up may not have had return springs,it may have relied on its own weight to return ,
i have come across the same set up on other aplications ,,mainly mag ign,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Olds

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 10:27:15 AM »

Been a long time since I saw one of those but think they had internal springs, bit like a penknife.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »

Must have been be spring loaded in some way origionally,for it to work effectively, whereas Magnetos, well all the Lucas or B.T.H units I have ever come across, were either manual advance and retard via lever operated Bowden cable, or used a steel or fibre drive gear or sprocket, with again spring loaded bob weights on its face.So, like your circlips, the springs have probably long gone, and the unit locked at full advance, Morrag

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: