May 11, 2024, 09:47:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nitrogen filled tyres?  (Read 2624 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: March 07, 2011, 07:19:43 PM »

I was perusing the North Hants Tyres website & came across this. Fill your tyres with Nitrogen for 2 quid per tyre. That's a new one on me. Anyone tried it?

http://www.northhantstyres.com/nitrogen.htm
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:46:32 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:46:15 PM »

I quote from another forum

"Filling Nitrogen in tyres has NO apparent advantage over normal compressed air! It's a marketing gimmick, ignore it."

But I will look in to this a bit more before I agree or disagree with this statement.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
thebigdogsix

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »

What about filling your tires with helium making your car lighter  Grin Wink
nabsim

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:34:50 PM »

It is supposed to keep tyre pressures contant as it isn't affected by the temperature changes we get in the UK on road tyres. Never done it in a vehicle but we used to fill the tyres on a coating plant drying drum with nitrogen due to the heat and it worked on that.

Always been a bit suspect for cars and bikes and stuff especially as air is generally free Wink

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:39:21 PM »

Many years ago I filled a front tyre with straw, to replace a shredded tube, to get me home, but I wouldn't recomend it! does nowt for the handling........

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Mr_G

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:51:01 PM »

Always been a bit suspect for cars and bikes and stuff especially as air is generally free Wink

So is nitrogen if you know where to get it from xD. I have heard about filling your tyres with nitrogen before, Can't quite remember where though.

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:53:10 PM »

The blurb on N.H Tyres' site says Nitrogen slows wear to tyre rubber & keeps tyre pressures constant etc -is it really worth worrying about?!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 05:54:17 AM »

Maybe if you're someone like McClaren......... Wink  

(08/03/11 following Trev's posting below -  maybe that should be "McLaren"? Show how impressed I am with F1 !!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:48:33 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
trev

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 01:26:07 PM »

don,t they put it in the massive dumpers in quarries.

yes but can blue men sing the whites?
nabsim

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 01:59:12 PM »

don,t they put it in the massive dumpers in quarries.

Think we may have ended up doing that just before I got made redundant, was some gas/air mix but can't remember what.

It only reduces tyre wear by keeping constant pressure from what I have seen. If you are one of those people who regularly check and adjust pressures there is less advantage. I know a few raved over it on the car forum I used to belong to but I have never used it outside of a work environment. Thinks its same as owt else, ya pays ya money and tales your chance Smiley

Cabman77

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »

Somebody tell me if i`m wrong (I`m sure you all will) my murky memory of chemistry lessons tells me that when Nitrogen is heated it actually cools and liquifies, thus cooling the tyre which then heats up a bit again and so on and so on. This could be the reason for better tyre wear claims. Does that sound right. I will happily stand in the corner with the dunces cap on if I`m wrong.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: