May 09, 2024, 07:45:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1558291 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #405 on: December 30, 2007, 07:17:25 PM »

Thanks Gareth  Cheesy
Would be a shame to put all that effort into the cab then waste it by bunging any old box on the back wouldn't it. Not planning on building a show winner, but if we're doing it, we should do it right I think.
Still waiting to hear from the local vehicle inspectorate -if we're very lucky, the finished truck might just need an engineer's report before they'll hand out the logbook. If not it'll have to meet the SVA regs. Either way it'll be as pretty as we can make it. Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
brock

« Reply #406 on: December 30, 2007, 07:28:04 PM »

I like that outer panel, really like it, set it up properly with a set of steels inside and step back, have open wheeled pickups been done to death ? can you be brave enough to be different ? rear corners off of a type two will already be rebated for the tail gate which could be "floating" on cantilevered hidden bottom hinges, deep tunneled '59 Caddy lamps with just the tips protruding, narrow tubs inside with a pair of fuel tanks (one each side ) between the cab and the tub and all covered by the inner skin, all too easy with someone elses toy, what do you have in mind ?  
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #407 on: December 30, 2007, 07:43:25 PM »

i want brocks brain Smiley

More metal than skin
brock

« Reply #408 on: December 30, 2007, 07:56:10 PM »

make me an offer mate , we're developing a serious methanol habit and the new motor should be ready to ship in August , everything must go !
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #409 on: December 30, 2007, 08:04:13 PM »

i like methanol i used s**t loads of it where i used to work,its a carsonjenic thing Smiley though so watch it Smiley

More metal than skin
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #410 on: December 30, 2007, 08:05:16 PM »

do u do board and lodge ? Smiley

More metal than skin
brock

« Reply #411 on: December 30, 2007, 08:34:12 PM »

sometimes do bored and fractious
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #412 on: December 30, 2007, 08:50:58 PM »

Care to do us a sketch of your ideas Brock?
I'm after trad' pick up with enough originality that it doesn't follow the herd, without going too high tech & modern. It's got to be a daily driver too.

brock

« Reply #413 on: December 31, 2007, 10:09:11 PM »

this is proving problematical, I'll play with it some more but every time I get close to something I like I seem to need to add a sort of streamlined teardrop sort of thing to the back edge of the front mudguards, it's all gone kustom on me !
   As an aside I was looking for type 2 panels when I came across this , have fun...

http://www.busselecta.com/bus/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 02:35:46 AM by brock » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #414 on: December 31, 2007, 10:48:06 PM »

Grin Hours of fun!
Bear in mind the Sherpa axles I've got are about 6 inches wider than the orignal Pop ones & I really don't fancy trying to narrow that front beam, or the rear for that matter. So it's gonna be wheels outside the bodyline -unless you can come up with something prettier?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #415 on: January 03, 2008, 12:29:52 AM »

I called in at Loony's workshop again on my way home from work today. There's really not much I can do on the bodyshell at the moment -it's down to Loony's panel bashing skills to pull it all into shape. So I contented myself with cutting a repair patch ready for him to weld in place, then mocking up the pick up bed to see how it'd look.
These are the VW camper van lower rear repair panels. I think they're about 20 quid each. The actual arch is roughly the same width as the tyres I'll be using so the axle will be set centrally in the arch. I slid the panels into the back of the open cab until the length looked about right. We'd wondered if we could use the camper van rear corners too, but when we tried one we found it's curve was too sweeping -extending the back of the bed almost another foot. Too long. So Mr Lunatic will probably roll a simple tight, single curve around the rear corners & not worry about trying to produce a double curve that sweeps under the bed too.
Loony & I agreed the pick up bed should be roughly the same length as the cab unit &, if possible, slightly shorter than the bonnet. I'd forgotten how long & pointy the Pop nose is. I dug out the relevant panels & propped them in place. The front end measured 120cm. The pick up bed I'd mocked up came to 100. Perfect. That'll make quite a useable load area -roughly 3 foot 6 long by 4 foot wide.
The VW camper floor's also available as a repair panel & has cool, semi industrial looking ribs pressed into it, which would look good.
O.K, so it's nothing stunningly original, but we can make a nice, tidy looking trad' pick up. Maybe it's been done before, I dunno, but it's the first one I've ever done & that's all that matters.  Smiley
Any opinions?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #416 on: January 03, 2008, 12:31:13 AM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #417 on: January 03, 2008, 12:35:49 AM »

With the Rover V8 in place, we'll probably have to push the front axle forward a tad, but I don't want the front spring perch ahead of the radiator shell -don't want to interrupt that long front panel cos I think that's the defining shape of a Pop.

lunatic

« Reply #418 on: January 03, 2008, 07:54:14 PM »

You gotta love it!! Cool
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #419 on: January 03, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »

Ready to go with it when you are matey! Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: